Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
AJanks

“Old Country” Race Track?

Hi guys. I collect Old fashioned tote tickets from Tracks & have a collection of 150+ tracks. Recently I came across totes that had “OLD COUNTRY” printed on them. Despite a lot of googling and investigative work, I was unable to find any information on this track. I was hoping somebody here may know something...

The tickets were from June 1944; the teller window # listed on the tickets (there are 2) are #1 and #24, so I am assuming this would have been a smaller track and possibly a county fair? Just an educated guess though...thank you guys.
AJanks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
tholl

From Wikipedia:

Roosevelt Raceway

The property was leased in 1939 by a group of investors (Old Country Trotting Association) led by George Morton Levy with the intention of opening a harness racing track. However, unlike previous incarnations of the sport, Levy's track would race at night, with single heat races, in an attempt to bring the "hick sport" to the populous Long Island area. With World War II in progress, attendance and profit were minimal in the first few years.[6] The track opened September 2, 1940 with a crowd of 5,000 which bet a total of $40,742 and saw the first race won by the horse "Martha Lee".[1]
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #3
AJanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholl View Post
From Wikipedia:

Roosevelt Raceway

The property was leased in 1939 by a group of investors (Old Country Trotting Association) led by George Morton Levy with the intention of opening a harness racing track. However, unlike previous incarnations of the sport, Levy's track would race at night, with single heat races, in an attempt to bring the "hick sport" to the populous Long Island area. With World War II in progress, attendance and profit were minimal in the first few years.[6] The track opened September 2, 1940 with a crowd of 5,000 which bet a total of $40,742 and saw the first race won by the horse "Martha Lee".[1]
Thank you so much. whenever I searched “Old Country” with any variation of “track” of “horse” after it, I ended up just getting a bunch of articles on Country House lol. I really appreciate you letting me know, it would’ve killed me if I couldn’t figure it out
AJanks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #4
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJanks View Post
Hi guys. I collect Old fashioned tote tickets from Tracks & have a collection of 150+ tracks.
I think collecting of this sort is neat. Glad you got answers. 150 tracks! Bet you learned a lot.

Collecting isn't my thing, I wish it was. I came upon a huge collection of racing blankets with horses' names on them and even the stakes race names on some of them. At an auction, everything was just in a big ball. Turned out they were mostly from Ar-Sar-Ben and I really wanted to find the owners or breeders or connections for these. I put out the word in a few select places, other people were telling me "you can charge a lot for those at an auction site!" but that wasn't my aim. I just wanted them to go to someone they would mean something to. A few of them had moth holes starting and they some needed a good cleaning. They needed to be properly restored and cared for. I pretty much did find the *right* people though. That made me happy.

Hey, if you see this, can you photograph one? I don't know a lot about what those would even look like. And what is your most precious one???

Last edited by clicknow; 10-23-2020 at 03:09 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Cool thread!
Love to go back and dig through my old souvenirs from the tracks from time to time.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #6
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholl View Post
From Wikipedia:

Roosevelt Raceway

Roosevelt was located on Old Country Road.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
Roosevelt was located on Old Country Road.
I believe they used to say it in the ads. I can hear- I believe it was Spencer Ross- saying it. Speaking of nostalgia (Roosevelt starts at 1:15):

alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
I believe they used to say it in the ads. I can hear- I believe it was Spencer Ross- saying it. Speaking of nostalgia (Roosevelt starts at 1:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCVij0AUtNs
That line "Where it all began ... where it is today!" brought a tear of nostalgia to my eyes.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply