Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #61
dlivery

Horse runs the race

All I hear at my local track the jockeys are taking turns winning Bah Bah
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #62
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Santiago View Post
Mostly a bunch of impertinent noise, IMO.
One man's noise is another man's music. There are edges to be found everywhere, you just have to turn over enough rocks.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #63
pandy

Betting With An Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Has anybody review his book yet? Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are?

Thanks

Boulder

This thread really got off topic, so I'll get it back on track. I just finished reading Betting With An Edge by professional horseplayer Mike Maloney. I liked it a lot. If you like racetrack stories, Mike has been doing this a long time and has some great stories in this book. I really enjoyed that part of it. As for the handicapping information, in a way it's fundamental, albeit thorough, handicappiing, but I liked it. Most people play the horses for entertainment and don't actually do a lot of work. Maloney does a lot of work, it's a full time job and then some. I have a friend who's a professional harness bettor and his approach is very similar to Maloney's, he does his own speed figures for at least a couple of circuits, he keeps strict records on track bias, etc.

One thing that I'll tell you is that even though Maloney uses Speed Figures, he doesn't trust one number, not even his own. I found that interesting because I believe that it's better to use more than one set of figures if you are serious about handicapping and betting. For instance, Maloney will compare the Beyer figures against Timeform's. If they don't agree, that's a red flag, and then he can't be that confident about the horse's ability.

If you want to read a book that's all about handicappping you might be disappointed, but if you like racetrack stories, you may love this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the handicapping part of it, there are certain parts of this book, where Maloney writes about how he bets the horses, that I truly think will help me, even though I've been doing this for a long time. I don't want to say too much because it's not fair to give out his secrets, you have to read the book. But I loved how he shows how he implements his Lock It Up and Kill Bet strategies. I'm going to use both from now one. Other parts of the book will also help me and I'll be using my copy as a reference when I'm placing my bets.

I'm pretty much the only one who has come out with handicapping books the last few years. I like reading about handicapping and horse racing and I was anxious to read this book by this renowned professional bettor. it didn't disappoint.

Last edited by pandy; 12-10-2017 at 08:30 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #64
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
This thread really got off topic, so I'll get it back on track. I just finished reading Betting With An Edge by professional horseplayer Mike Maloney. I liked it a lot. If you like racetrack stories, Mike has been doing this a long time and has some great stories in this book. I really enjoyed that part of it. As for the handicapping information, in a way it's fundamental, albeit thorough, handicappiing, but I liked it. Most people play the horses for entertainment and don't actually do a lot of work. Maloney does a lot of work, it's a full time job and then some. I have a friend who's a professional harness bettor and his approach is very similar to Maloney's, he does his own speed figures for at least a couple of circuits, he keeps strict records on track bias, etc.

One thing that I'll tell you is that even though Maloney uses Speed Figures, he doesn't trust one number, not even his own. I found that interesting because I believe that it's better to use more than one set of figures if you are serious about handicapping and betting. For instance, Maloney will compare the Beyer figures against Timeform's. If they don't agree, that's a red flag, and then he can't be that confident about the horse's ability.

If you want to read a book that's all about handicappping you might be disappointed, but if you like racetrack stories, you may love this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the handicapping part of it, there are certain parts of this book, where Maloney writes about how he bets the horses, that I truly think will help me, even though I've been doing this for a long time. I don't want to say too much because it's not fair to give out his secrets, you have to read the book. But I loved how he shows how he implements his Lock It Up and Kill Bet strategies. I'm going to use both from now one. Other parts of the book will also help me and I'll be using my copy as a reference when I'm placing my bets.

I'm pretty much the only one who has come out with handicapping books the last few years. I like reading about handicapping and horse racing and I was anxious to read this book by this renowned professional bettor. it didn't disappoint.
Good review Pandy, the highlighted portion is something I've learned the hard way, and practically no other hcp-ing writers mention it.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #65
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Good review Pandy, the highlighted portion is something I've learned the hard way, and practically no other hcp-ing writers mention it.
Has anyone ever do a side by side comparison?

The numbers I know are Timeform's, Beyer's, and HDW's....are there more?

And to answer my question..its probably NO because of the cost it will occur....

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #66
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post

And to answer my question..its probably NO because of the cost it will occur....

Mike

For speed figures in the most widely used past performances, there are Bris, Trackmaster (Equibase), Timeform, Beyer. I actually think that the speed figures that Trackmaster generates in their pps are different from the regular Equibase speed figures that appear in the track programs that are sold at simulcast centers. So there are five different types of speed figures regularly available in the most well-known past performance publications. Every one has occasional bad or suspect figures. We know this because one could have a horse's last race as clearly the fastest in the race, while another may show the same last race performance as the third fastest in the race. Obviously, one of them is wrong. When you make speed figures, you're taking your best guess. Sometimes you guess wrong. Equibase and Brisnet are computer generated figures, but because of tricky track changes (such as a track that gets faster or slower as the day goes on), or limited data (six turf races, only three dirt races), it can be tough to compute an accurate variant, be it by computer or a real live handicapper.

Obviously, Maloney makes some really big bets. In his book he pointed out that if, for instance, the Beyer speed figure is much different than the Timeform speed figure on a particular horse, that raises a red flag. If you think about it, say you are a big chalk bettor who likes to bet $500 to win. You see a horse that ran a 95 Beyer in his second career start, and the horse looks at least two lengths better than anything in the field. The horse is 7-5 today. Now you check Timeform and see that the horse was given an 85 for its last race and two other horses in the race are ranked ahead of it. Are you still going to bet the $500? Is the horse the fastest in the race or not?

Last edited by pandy; 12-11-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #67
mikesal57
Veteran

Thxs Pandy for clearing the names up...

But I assume no one has done a study on them....correct?

Mike
Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #68
Clocker

Quote:

Mike
BRIS also makes their own speed figures. You can get selective PPs free here:

http://www.trks2day.com/trks2day.html
Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #69
pandy

Quote:

Mike
I believe there was a study done comparing Bris to Beyer.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #70
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
BRIS also makes their own speed figures. You can get selective PPs free here:

http://www.trks2day.com/trks2day.html
Thxs Clocker....one of my favorite sites for years

I believe that every handicapper should read the PP's no mater what they do manually or with a computer.

EX:

I use one of the top expensive programs that's related to this board
Quite a few times , it will spit out a horse like this:

RAces 28...wins 2....seconds 8....thirds 6

what are the chances of him winning?
what are the chances of him coming in the money?

Will you know this WITHOUT reading PP's ???

Another example will be a horse coming out of a limit wins condition, racing against multiple winners with twice their wins...

What are their chances....???

What I'm saying is read the PP's!!!

Mike
Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #71
ubercapper

Quote:

Mike
This was mentioned a few months back. The answer is yes and here's the post that was most pertinent.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...7&postcount=79
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #72
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
This was mentioned a few months back. The answer is yes and here's the post that was most pertinent.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...7&postcount=79
Thxs buddy...appreciate that

IMO ....Theres no doubt he found something ...
come on ,anyone with all that info in the palm of thier hands has to come up with something...
and to say that it was his plan and he knew exactly what was going to happen..
he played all their egos and came out the winner!!!

mike

Last edited by mikesal57; 12-12-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #73
MEC

Betting with an edge ...

Well I would like to order it..but ... From DRF the book is about U.S.$35 ,
great...but shipping is another U.S. $37 !!
So I go to Amazon.Com...they want U.S. $48...well OK, but .. they want another U.S. $43.93 for shipping.
Convert those amounts to our 'sad ass Canadian 'Turdo' dollars and you are looking at well over a hundred bucks or so.
Any viewers from "The Great White North" have you got any better sources ??

(and don't tell me to wait until our dollar goes back up in value, I probably won't live that long !) Still it sounds like a interesting read.
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #74
AltonKelsey
Veteran

huh? since when is shipping so high to canada?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #75
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Started reading it last night.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: