Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
Lefty

Powerline V5

Steve Wolson has had a good run on his sel using his prgm. Anybody here have this prgm, Powerline Ver 5? How do you like it? Finding that the db concept works well or do you have another preferred way to use it?

Last edited by Lefty; 05-05-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
lefthandlow

power line

A guy here was going to buy it and I looked it up and its 450.00.
That's a lot for a program.I can't wait to hear how this one does.
This is the place to hawk software but does anyone make $ with
them.I see a lot of post that have 3 #'s across but that's it..
HOPE SOMEONE HERE ANSWERS LEFTY"S QUESTION>
Maybe the guy bought it that posted a week or so ago.
WHO is the creator of this power on line program.Maybe he is around here and can tell us about it..

I wish they had spell check here also.I can't type l.. LL

Last edited by lefthandlow; 05-05-2004 at 01:56 PM.
lefthandlow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Steve Wolson has been posting his software picks and results daily in the Selections forum. And they've been doing very well. So far,

Overall:

389 plays - 128 wins (33%)
$778 bet - $927.80 ret'd, profit +$149.80 (ROI +19%)

Gotta say it: Nice job Steve.

That said, a question for you Steve. Has posting successful selections over an extended period of time (not easy to do at all) helped to sell any copies of your program so far?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
jackad

Steve,
Did you get my PM?

Jack
jackad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
wolsons

software

Hey guys:

Lefthandlow: I am the creator of the program (but not the programmer) - I could tell you a lot about it, but I've been led to believe that overt merchandising is severely frowned upon on this board. I have responded to private messages, and the link to my website has been posted. I just figured the best way to promote a product, in a positive way, is to test it openly on the board for an extended period. There's been so much back-and-forth on the board over the last year about having a software vendor contest, and it always goes nowhere - I figured just let it all hang out.

Jeff P: thanks for the compliment, and the answer to your question is YES, I have sold a few copies to board members since my online posting started.

Jackad: I did get your PM, and responded - if you didn't get it, let me know and I'll resend.

Steve
wolsons is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
lefthandlow

Steve

Thanks for the info.I'm glad that I know its your program and I'll
watch the results.
I can remember years ago when I had a program and I got picks that were not the same as the creator and he said you picked the wrong pace line,you should have used the 6th back and not the 3d.So if I used poweronline program would I get the same results as you?They are very good from what I see on the board?I notice you pick only one which is a plus and hard to do.
Keep up the good picking.. LL
lefthandlow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
Hosshead
It's A Photo-Ying & Yang

Lefthandlow, I was wondering the same thing.-- If the buyer of Steve's sw (assuming he updates the track profiles etc.) would get the same results as the inventer of the sw, who knows ALL the idiosyncrasies of the product. Also, in order to model each track, do you have to enter the class,dist. etc for each race, or does the sw do it for you.
Hosshead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2004, 06:54 AM   #8
wolsons

Hosshead

Hey Guys,

Lefthandlow: "So if I used poweronline program would I get the same results as you?They are very good from what I see on the board?I notice you pick only one which is a plus and hard to do."

Pretty much YES - I've been limiting my posted picks on this board to basically Top consensus picks of the software - where I've 'strayed' to the 2nd Consensus pick has been where the Top pick hasn't been very strong and the Black Box and Dynamanual options point to the 2nd pick. Since I've decided to supply starter databases (which includes about 10,000 races from most major tracks since January of this year) to PA board members in order to get them off to a running start, they'll be looking at basically the same foundation 'base that I'm working with.

Hosshead: "Also, in order to model each track, do you have to enter the class,dist. etc for each race, or does the sw do it for you."

It's all done automatically - all you have to do is unzip the data and results files for the track in question, then select the 'Model' option (1 date) or the Bulk Model option (if there's more than 1 date), and the rest is done for you.

A note to those who already ordered the software, the starter database will be going out to you the beginnng of next week.

Steve
Old 05-07-2004, 07:31 AM   #9
Hosshead
It's A Photo-Ying & Yang

Steve, Thanks for your response.
Hosshead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2004, 08:00 AM   #10
pasco

pace lines

I read where LL asked or talked about pace lines.Steve does the program pick the pacelines it uses.If it does what about turf and dirt and mud lines?Most programs do not do this well at all.
No offense but isn't a program only as good as the speed figs or pace figs that the software uses fom the data source.I've had a lot of software in my day and a lot of them pick the same horses as the best speed fig has recorded in the last race or ave of so many races or pace speed..
It all comes from the data provider.Does anyone feel this way or is this just me a software junkie looking to use a program to make a little free cash.
Steve I'm not picking on you its only because your program is hot and I for one would like to see how one gets these selections.I like your roi your getting and the fact you are using one pick per race.
Keep on posting Pasco
pasco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2004, 09:28 AM   #11
wolsons

Pasco

Hey Pasco,

I don't mind your questions at all, and I certainly don't think that you're picking on me! The software does pick the pacelines - remember, what this program is is a combination of 22 different methods that I have authored over the years; each of those methods, regardless of what type of race or surface they were designed for, has its own built in rules for paceline selection. These are all programmed into the software - so, for the software user, paceline selection is not an issue.

As far as the speed figure issue, for the purposes of my program, I feel that any decent set of figures will suffice - that's why I had no trouble switching over to the TSN Procaps files at the beginning of this year. While there may be occasional discrepancies between the ranking orders of Beyer #s, BRIS #'s, TSN #'s, and most other commercially available types, I feel that long term the results will even out - none of them are THAT damned reliable!

Steve
Old 05-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #12
pasco

thanks

Steve thanks for the info. keep up the good work
pasco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
JimG

Just thought I would revive this topic so anybody that owns this program may share how they are doing with it. Are you glad at this point you spent the $450 for the program? What do you like about it? What dislikes? How does it compare with other programs you've tried? etc., etc.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2004, 03:37 PM   #14
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Jim,

The $450 is only until 6/1/04. It's $495 after that. I guess it's not a bad price when you know he get's no kick backs off the DATA.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #15
JimG

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed Figure
Jim,

The $450 is only until 6/1/04. It's $495 after that. I guess it's not a bad price when you know he get's no kick backs off the DATA.
SF,

I have no issues with what he is charging. Just wondering how others that have bought it like it. I would not be asking if I wasn't considering it. If the average user can break even or cut their losses with it, then it may be worthwhile.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply