Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-18-2023, 08:36 AM   #1
boxcar

This Guy Excels in Failure & Gets Hugely Rewarded

Black man in NYC who failed teacher's test many times will receive over $2 million in compensation after court determines test was racist

This lawsuit filed by a guy named Herman Grim actually evolved into a class action suit due to the "disparate impact" of these "racist" tests. But I want to focus just on this guy Grim. The article states that Grim took this Liberal Arts and Science test so many times and failed that he can't remember the exact number. So on top of failing this test more times than he can remember, obviously his memory also fails him.

When the Blaze asked him to provide examples of racial bias in the test, he could not come up with even one lousy example! Failure number three.

I also find it interesting that the reported disparity in results by races was limited to only two years -- between 1993 and 1995. I find it more than a little strange that since Grim has taken this test for more years than he remember that this "disparate impact" stats are limited to a measly two years. Why not for all the years he took the tests?

But even more mind-boggling than all this is what this inquiring mind would love to know is how can any test be racially biased? Math is inherently racially biased? Science is inherently racially biased? History? No? Hmm...Well then the only other way a test could be racially biased is if the white folks who did so swell took a much easier test than was given to folks of color. Now that would definitely constitute demonstrable prejudice -- but there's nothing in the story about that happening either.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/black-...est-was-racist
Old 07-18-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

I do not see how a test could be racist unless it required knowledge in areas one group normally doesn't have. Since almost anything goes with liberal arts, not sure what topics would be off limits. There is no way you could make a math test racist. If it was some common knowledge type test you could easily pick winners by ethnicity.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I do not see how a test could be racist unless it required knowledge in areas one group normally doesn't have. Since almost anything goes with liberal arts, not sure what topics would be off limits. There is no way you could make a math test racist. If it was some common knowledge type test you could easily pick winners by ethnicity.
Neither could Grim, evidently, in spite of his lawsuit.
Old 07-18-2023, 02:17 PM   #4
TurfmonsterLV

I saw this headline and thought it was a story about Dumbass trump!!
TurfmonsterLV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfmonsterLV View Post
Cute Response #InstaBlock
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2023, 02:25 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Neither could Grim, evidently, in spite of his lawsuit.

You easily could make a test racist if you had sports, games and entertainment categories, how you would work those into a teacher's test is beyond me. Here are two categories, classic rock music, classic funk music.
Sticking either one of those on a test would make it have a racial bias.
It would be highly unlikely for someone to be equally strong in both subjects,
and skin color plays a big part. I just thought of a 3rd category, disco!
I wonder who would have an edge there? During the disco era I was pretty much equally exposed to disco, rock, and funk.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfmonsterLV View Post
After 10 years, "Turfmonster" comes to life!

Who has been banned recently?
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2023, 03:38 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I know who...our favorite twitter embedder
Old 07-18-2023, 03:50 PM   #9
jimmyb

I’m not surprised by this. In a day and age when a highway bridge is called racist how can we not label anything as racist. Next my cars alternator will be called sexist for turning dc into ac.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2023, 08:41 PM   #10
boxcar

Quote:
You easily could make a test racist if you had sports, games and entertainment categories, how you would work those into a teacher's test is beyond me. Here are two categories, classic rock music, classic funk music.
I wonder who would have an edge there? During the disco era I was pretty much equally exposed to disco, rock, and funk.
Wow! So this is what they're testing wanna-be teachers on? No wonder kids are so screwed up today!
Old 07-18-2023, 10:28 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Wow! So this is what they're testing wanna-be teachers on? No wonder kids are so screwed up today!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! I was trying to come up with a reason to validate a claim of racism on a teacher's test. I just threw something out there, I made it up. What I was getting at is no way you could make a math test racist, I dare someone to try. On the other hand if you had something like history of music, you could make those questions where certain ethnicities would have an edge.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:38 AM   #12
davew

reparations one person at a time ....
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply