Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #16
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 16,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
I think I read somewhere that Honor A.P. is 17 hands, or very close. Bigger isn't always better.
When I watched his races and works it always seemed like it took him a little longer to get rolling than other horses of similar quality. Maybe his size had something to do with that.

It may have been an issue at the start of the Derby too.

He was off a little slowly and appeared to get brushed, but it wasn't a disaster. It became a disaster because he was probably a little off balance and was so slow to recover and get rolling he wound up at the back of a large field instead of mid pack or closer where he's usually positioned. Another horse with the same start may have recovered quicker and got into the race with its better turn of foot without being used too hard to do it.
__________________
"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned." Fast Eddie Felson
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #17
jay68802
Registered User
 
jay68802's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 12,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
When I watched his races and works it always seemed like it took him a little longer to get rolling than other horses of similar quality. Maybe his size had something to do with that.

It may have been an issue at the start of the Derby too.

He was off a little slowly and appeared to get brushed, but it wasn't a disaster. It became a disaster because he was probably a little off balance and was so slow to recover and get rolling he wound up at the back of a large field instead of mid pack or closer where he's usually positioned. Another horse with the same start may have recovered quicker and got into the race with its better turn of foot without being used too hard to do it.
I view it differently. The start was a half length slow, and he got clobbered by the horse to his inside, costing him two more lengths. He then recovered and was only two lengths from Tiz a hundred yards into the race. Smith then assessed the situation, and decided to get to the rail and save ground. That decision was correct, but lost the race for Honor.

This is the best part of this game. Both of us would have bet our opinion in his next race.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #18
Spalding No!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Smith then assessed the situation, and decided to get to the rail and save ground. That decision was correct, but lost the race for Honor..
Honor A.P. was wide throughout; Smith never attempted to get to the rail.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #19
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 16,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Honor A.P. was wide throughout; Smith never attempted to get to the rail.
You beat me to it.

This was my note:

sg (1/2); bumped a little sideways (1-2 more?), slow to get going; dropped far back.

Thorograph has his ground loss as 4t1; 5t2. They average the ground loss for the entire turn into one number and I'd say tend to round up.
__________________
"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned." Fast Eddie Felson
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 44,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Honor A.P. was wide throughout; Smith never attempted to get to the rail.
Mike Smith rarely rides in traffic any more. He is either in front or he is wide the vast majority of the time.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How do you prefer your Coffee !?
Cream and Sugar - 28.57%
30 Votes
Cream only - 20.00%
21 Votes
Black - 41.90%
44 Votes
Decaf - 9.52%
10 Votes
Espresso - 12.38%
13 Votes
Starbucks etc... - 9.52%
10 Votes
Other - 23.81%
25 Votes
Total Votes: 105
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2020 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.