Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #211
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I agree that the negotiations will center around tariffs but only on the export side. The dynamics of the tax cuts on business and tax payers should increase USA's leverage, we will be larger consumers. Is my thinking valid?
Trump wants to decrease the trade deficit. That means fewer imports or more exports or some combination of the two. Higher US tariffs result in fewer imports as the tariffs are passed through to US consumers via higher prices, which means less purchasing power. We either pay the higher costs for imports or we buy higher priced American goods.

Lower foreign tariffs on our exports means more demand for them overseas. Those tariffs will not go down if our tariffs on imports go up. Was Trump just rattling his saber with the steel tariffs to get tariffs on our exports lower? If so, why did he back down on them so quickly?

Here is a long, in-depth look at the Chinese economy. It discusses the major changes China has made, and why they are "winning" and will continue to win unless we change the way that we function. And focus on the trade deficit isn't going to be a factor in that.

"How to Meet the Strategic Challenge Posed by China"

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/how-t...osed-by-china/
Old 03-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #212
incoming

Thanks Clocker for the literature, it piqued my curiosity in a couple of additional areas.....the upcoming negotiations will be interesting.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #213
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Trump wants to decrease the trade deficit. That means fewer imports or more exports or some combination of the two. Higher US tariffs result in fewer imports as the tariffs are passed through to US consumers via higher prices, which means less purchasing power. We either pay the higher costs for imports or we buy higher priced American goods.

Lower foreign tariffs on our exports means more demand for them overseas. Those tariffs will not go down if our tariffs on imports go up. Was Trump just rattling his saber with the steel tariffs to get tariffs on our exports lower? If so, why did he back down on them so quickly?

Here is a long, in-depth look at the Chinese economy. It discusses the major changes China has made, and why they are "winning" and will continue to win unless we change the way that we function. And focus on the trade deficit isn't going to be a factor in that.

"How to Meet the Strategic Challenge Posed by China"

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/how-t...osed-by-china/
Good Read.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #214
classhandicapper

The trade deficit should be a major focus of our trade policy because if it isn't our assets and IOUs will keep piling up in the hands of foreigners until they exercise effective control over our currency and fiscal policy.

Why do you think 3rd world countries tend to blow up?

They go further and further into debt to foreigners that eventually lose confidence in the currency of that country and their ability to pay it all back without inflating. So they slowly start pulling their money out. Then a trickle becomes Niagra Falls and kaboom!

They give us more rope to hang ourselves with because we have the reserve currency (and lots of nukes ), but a lot of countries are already slowly trying to diversify their reserves and other assets away from the US dollar.

It would be very foolish to continue on the same path even if you aren't worried about unfair trade practices, different regulations, different standards of living, and other factors stripping jobs out of the US and lowering standards of living for large numbers of people.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #215
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oh crap...tariff crash back on again?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #216
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

We need to put tariffs on crashes.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #217
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Maybe we'll finally get a buying opportunity?
Old 03-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #218
fast4522

Quote:
Negotiating trade agreements for Trump means negotiating tariffs. Tariffs are taxes paid by consumers. The Trump campaign admitted that Trump's proposed tariffs would increase the cost of living for the average citizen by 15%. How is that a good thing?

Trump claims that would bring back manufacturing jobs in the US. There is no evidence to support that. America manufactures more than it ever did, with fewer manufacturing jobs than ever. We lost a lot of manufacturing jobs over the last few decades, and 85% of them were lost to automation, not to moving off shore.
Now I am aiming directly on you, because your too thick to understand President Donald J. Trump in getting more for his buck than previous presidents. Who would think that increased pressure on China would have piss running down Kim Jong-un's fat Fu&*(ng legs. Trump is rocking the world, get used to it.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #219
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Our rates dropped today. Even with the Fed flooding out paper. Seems a lot were short on bonds.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #220
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
President Donald J. Trump in getting more for his buck than previous presidents.
People are so preoccupied with their hate for the guy, they are focusing on process, what he said, his stupid tweets, who got fired, whose leaking what, all the bad press, who he slept with, that he didn't deliver 100% exactly what he promised due to politics etc.. That's exactly what the media wants. They are feeding that trying to build an image of him as an out of control disaster so they can win the mid terms and then get rid of him. And half the republicans are right with them.

But when you look at the bottom line, he got a very good conservative on the Supreme Court, got rid of the individual mandate, reduced regulations, reduced taxes, has trading partners at the table, has been deporting illegal alien gang members, made progress against ISIS, and reduced unvetted travel.

That's a lot for the first 15 months and I don't have a problem much of it.

I have 2 problems with him so far.

1. neocons
2. too much wasteful spending (much of which is on congress)
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #221
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
People are so preoccupied with their hate for the guy, they are focusing on process, what he said, his stupid tweets, who got fired, whose leaking what, all the bad press, who he slept with, that he didn't deliver 100% exactly what he promised due to politics etc.. That's exactly what the media wants. They are feeding that trying to build an image of him as an out of control disaster so they can win the mid terms and then get rid of him. And half the republicans are right with them.

But when you look at the bottom line, he got a very good conservative on the Supreme Court, got rid of the individual mandate, reduced regulations, reduced taxes, has trading partners at the table, has been deporting illegal alien gang members, made progress against ISIS, and reduced unvetted travel.

That's a lot for the first 15 months and I don't have a problem much of it.

I have 2 problems with him so far.

1. neocons
2. too much wasteful spending (much of which is on congress)
Very worthy problems to have concern with, perhaps you might accept my logic for viewing them.

1. This President employs multi team approach to provide complex pressure to the area he is focusing, in the event he needs correct personnel to run into the live fire and kill them all they are in the room. To not give you extreme caution with that last statement, I will suggest that our President is very confident in his own judgement and also has the largest set of balls in any meeting he attends.

2. I am not so sure as I am as 1. , My gut feeling is our President plays the cards that he is dealt just as or better than any President has. Also during a President's term many times it is incumbent to decide when there is no good answer.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #222
incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The trade deficit should be a major focus of our trade policy because if it isn't our assets and IOUs will keep piling up in the hands of foreigners until they exercise effective control over our currency and fiscal policy.

Why do you think 3rd world countries tend to blow up?

They go further and further into debt to foreigners that eventually lose confidence in the currency of that country and their ability to pay it all back without inflating. So they slowly start pulling their money out. Then a trickle becomes Niagra Falls and kaboom!

They give us more rope to hang ourselves with because we have the reserve currency (and lots of nukes ), but a lot of countries are already slowly trying to diversify their reserves and other assets away from the US dollar.

It would be very foolish to continue on the same path even if you aren't worried about unfair trade practices, different regulations, different standards of living, and other factors stripping jobs out of the US and lowering standards of living for large numbers of people.
I agree with you on the trade deficit, I think it is very important in restoring the middle class. For myself, it means jobs, jobs and more jobs. I think the expected rise in consumer prices will be more than offset by the tax cuts. Most Americans would rather see their friends and family with meaningful jobs and send the illegal aliens back to their homelands. I think proof of that point are the many raises, bonuses and meaningful jobs that have already been added before data on the tax cuts could be properly analyzed.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #223
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
I agree with you on the trade deficit, I think it is very important in restoring the middle class. For myself, it means jobs, jobs and more jobs. I think the expected rise in consumer prices will be more than offset by the tax cuts. Most Americans would rather see their friends and family with meaningful jobs and send the illegal aliens back to their homelands. I think proof of that point are the many raises, bonuses and meaningful jobs that have already been added before data on the tax cuts could be properly analyzed.
Except that China blinked and now South Korea is going to let twice as many cars be sold by us into their country. It is clear why Rex W. Tillerson was fired, first he was outside the loop the same time policy strategic maneuvers against China was going on leak free.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #224
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
South Korea is going to let twice as many cars be sold by us into their country.
American cars don't pass South Korean safety standards. South Korea currently exempts 25,000 cars per year from those standards for each American auto maker for import there. In exchange for exempting South Korea from steel tariffs, they will now exempt 50,000 cars from each US car maker from their safety standards.

South Koreans don't buy a lot of American cars. Ford sold less than 11,000 there last year. Fiat Chrysler sold about 7,000. GM sold about 2,000.

The art of the deal.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/27/news...ers/index.html
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #225
elysiantraveller

Quote:
American cars don't pass South Korean safety standards. South Korea currently exempts 25,000 cars per year from those standards for each American auto maker for import there. In exchange for exempting South Korea from steel tariffs, they will now exempt 50,000 cars from each US car maker from their safety standards.

South Koreans don't buy a lot of American cars. Ford sold less than 11,000 there last year. Fiat Chrysler sold about 7,000. GM sold about 2,000.

The art of the deal.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/27/news...ers/index.html
It's all optics. The Chinese are hitting back against the Steel tariff today.