Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 10-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
dilanesp

fastest accurately timed Preakness in history

Bear in mind, Secretariat's "time" is political. He ran fast, but nobody knows for sure if he ran 1:53 flat. The DRF hand timers clocked him a little slower than that.

Monster effort for the filly.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A FILLY in the Preakness!

Ballsy ride by Robby. Great view of it from the helmet cam behind him.
Authentic never gave up.
The looked like he got wiped out at the break.

The rest of them.....see y'all at Finger Lakes.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I didn't have the filly in the top spot, and I didn't have Jesus anywhere, but other than that, I was all over it.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Vinnie

Huge effort by the filly. Darn it, she knocked me out of my single in the P4 and the worst thing is she was my 2nd Pic. Now I don't feel as badly about getting beat!! What a Giant Effort by Swiss Skydiver.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
Frost king

And that is the sad thing about the Derby, you will never see a filly anymore in that race. As there are too many obstacles, for the filly to get a spot. Maybe they should reserve a couple of spots for the top fillies to fight over. The top two fillies to qualify for the Oaks should have the option to try the boys on Saturday.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #6
Onesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
And that is the sad thing about the Derby, you will never see a filly anymore in that race. As there are too many obstacles, for the filly to get a spot. Maybe they should reserve a couple of spots for the top fillies to fight over. The top two fillies to qualify for the Oaks should have the option to try the boys on Saturday.
Disagree, she was 2nd in the Blue Grass, that should have been enough points to qualify for the Derby in a normal year. Make sense that if connections want to run their filly in the Derby, it should be able to hang in one of the big preps.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 03:41 AM   #7
how cliche
How Cliche

one helluva hose race, no doubt. two fast runners emboldening one another to try as hard as they're able, distancing themselves from the rest with every stride.

they gave us everything. we can expect them to be off form for several months now. shades of you vs carson hollow.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
Disagree, she was 2nd in the Blue Grass, that should have been enough points to qualify for the Derby in a normal year. Make sense that if connections want to run their filly in the Derby, it should be able to hang in one of the big preps.

It was enough this year. She had 40 points which put her at #14 on the leaderboard.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I timed the Secretariat Preakness from video a while back, the 1:53 flat is accurate give or take a hundredths.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I timed the Secretariat Preakness from video a while back, the 1:53 flat is accurate give or take a hundredths.
Between June and early October 1973, Secretariat had established 2 world records and a course record.

All other things being equal, could he have run even faster if it was an October Preakness with roughly 5 more months of maturity/progression under his belt?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Between June and early October 1973, Secretariat had established 2 world records and a course record.

All other things being equal, could he have run even faster if it was an October Preakness with roughly 5 more months of maturity/progression under his belt?
Sure, that is certainly a factor too.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
Spalding No!

Quote:
Sure, that is certainly a factor too.
Another obvious factor is the relative speed of the course yesterday. However, the vast majority of races were on the turf so it might be hard to get a good sense of it. I'm not sure if there were even any other routes besides the Preakness and the Black Eyed Susan.

I remember that Brad Cox filly (too lazy to try and spell it) going 6f in 1:07+ last year on Preakness weekend. Did they tailor the track for fast times this year?

Then again, were they doing similar back in Secretariat's day?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Did you calibrate the frame speed of the analog tape machine or kinescope machine that made the recording? Because without doing this, it is impossible to know. Unlike modern digital recorders, 1970's equipment was not designed to get the fps precise because they didn't care if playback was slightly fast or slow.

At any rate, even Secretariat's fans at CBS and the DRF did not conclude he ran that fast.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Cj, how does this Preakness timing stand up?

Seem accurate to you?
Old 10-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #15
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Then again, were they doing similar back in Secretariat's day?
Secretariat is before my time as a handicapper, but guys that I've spoken to that are older said they used to really speed up the track for him and the cushions weren't as deep. I'm pretty sure they are deeper now than when I started getting serious in the mid to late 70s.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: