Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-22-2022, 09:25 AM   #31
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I stopped buying them from my distributor. This morning on the way to work we hit the Aldi store. Bought 10 doz at 2.23

We are also buying eggs from another distributor who is probably losing money on them at 2.89

We are buying dairy, eggs and sometimes meats from retail grocery stores when they run sales. Here in Houston there are serious grocery wars and they will put on some very nice loss leaders, that are cheaper than my distributor. They put a limit on some things, but not all. I bought 230 sour cream tubs once. The next week they put a limit of 20 on them at the Aldi 3 blocks from my restaurant. We just send multiple managers in over about a 3 day period.
Were they stamped "Made in China?"
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2022, 09:34 AM   #32
mhaney0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Just like a dem. When things are going good, "wow are amazing policies are working great". When things aren't going so well, excuses, excuses, excuses. Hey don't blame me for the mishandling of covid from day 15 on. We spent a long time talking about it day by day. I also believe that superdem at the time Andrew Cuomo assured us that you can always fix an economy. So I hold all dems accountable to those words. So no excuses. Live up to the words of the one they were talking about as the next president at the time.

Truth of the matter is neither side can fix anything nor even wants to. They want power and they want that power for as long as they can have it. Power isn't attained by creating policies to help everyday folks. Power is attained by pandering to special interests. People are easily fooled. I had folks coming into my store in March of 2021, saying they were coming out for the first time since the pandemic began. I am saying to myself, seriously you gave up a year of your life because of covid......I am talking about folks in there 20's and 30's.

There might be a couple of functional light bulbs in Washington and there may be a few that actually that do care about people, but for the most part , it is a complete swamp. Do I like Trump as a person? Heck no, he is an arrogant jack ass. He always was. Buffoon, is a complete mislabel. He is actually a pretty smart guy, loaded with common sense. Not exactly the best speaker in the world these days. He probably could use a filter between his brain and mouth. He did a fairly good job as President and seemed to have the economy humming along. I don't think he did so for any great care of the American people, he did so to feed his ego.

Then of course the Plandemic. Since Biden has taken over it has been amateur hour from day 1. You want to blame covid, be my guest. This country is in pretty deep sh** right now. The stock market can crash, the real estate market probably will crash (although I think that is a good thing unless you recently bought your home), interest rates are high again, rents are through the roof especially on the low end. I live in Vegas now, my rent was $1800 and went up to $2000 (10 % not earth shattering), but I am seeing all kinds of reports of people having rents of 800 or 900 going up the like $1200 or $1300. So these people may get a $1 an hour raise if they are lucky, they are paying 10% more for everything, rent may be up 50%, Gas prices, what 25% or so. Energy prices are creeping up. As things continue to get worse, one has to wonder what the fallout will be. More crime, more despair, more homelessness, more anger, more frustration, more violence. You know the things that big democratic cities are famous for. That is the real life consequence of bad policy. You factor in this new breed of da's in some of the bigger cities and this is not going to be good. The bad policy began with covid and continued with the savior democrats and their agendas.
Couldn't agree more with the part of your post I hilighted in red, great take!

Actually the whole post is pretty good! Dont disagree with much there.

Last edited by mhaney0423; 09-22-2022 at 09:35 AM.
mhaney0423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #33
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I stopped buying them from my distributor. This morning on the way to work we hit the Aldi store. Bought 10 doz at 2.23

We are also buying eggs from another distributor who is probably losing money on them at 2.89

We are buying dairy, eggs and sometimes meats from retail grocery stores when they run sales. Here in Houston there are serious grocery wars and they will put on some very nice loss leaders, that are cheaper than my distributor. They put a limit on some things, but not all. I bought 230 sour cream tubs once. The next week they put a limit of 20 on them at the Aldi 3 blocks from my restaurant. We just send multiple managers in over about a 3 day period.

Thanks for sharing, I don't know why but it never crossed by mind people I viewed as hoarders at the grocery store could have been restaurant owners or managers. I did hear stories that people were pissed where cruise ships had no supply issues, and getting things that most grocery stores were short on. I then just made the assumption that the distributors to restaurants and the like were not having issues. You are the only place I have heard stories like this. The media just keeps airing stories and interviews of people complaining about high restaurants prices and how they feel ripped off.

I would admit if I saw someone with 230 sour cream tubs, I would have thought. "Who is this nut hoarding sour cream?" Now I know.

The only time I had any involvement with restaurants was working in purchasing for the Hilton Hotel that had a half dozen restaurants in the resort Lake Arrowhead area. A lot of time the Hilton got select items that were not seen in stories and were more expensive. I just filled the restaurant orders and delivered them in a bread truck, but I knew what they cost.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #34
Inner Dirt

How about we talk about things that haven't increased on what we normally pay for. I still don't understand how they get these inflation numbers, that seem way low to me.

For me electricity and phone the same, mortgage. I do not have natural gas and water comes from a well. The electricity comes from a nuclear plant, price pretty much the same last 10 years.

I can't think of another readily used item that has not went up noticeably since Biden took office.

The price of drywall never went up, but I bought a pallet of that a while back and it is not a readily used item.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #35
Inner Dirt

Anyone buy tires lately? I am working on a purchase order for a customer and since it has been slim pickens this year for me I told him I would split the increased price of the aluminum rounds used to make them with him if he paid immediately instead of our typical net 30 terms. I am a small machine shop if you aren't familiar. I thought his check will cover a set of tires, a new water heater, and a couple $100 on a season parlay, NFL division winners to the Dodgers winning it all. Come to find out that order is worth a set of tires and
dinner for two at the local Italian restaurant. When I saw the tire prices I thought I forgot the exact tires I bought before, I like Coopers as until recently they were all made in USA. I went out and looked at my vehicle and by golly I remembered right, WTF,................where is that 9% inflation????
Old 09-23-2022, 06:38 AM   #36
tucker6

I thought of Ralph last night when I bought an 18 egg carton for $4.28 at a Walmart here in SC.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #37
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I thought of Ralph last night when I bought an 18 egg carton for $4.28 at a Walmart here in SC.
Amazing isn’t it?
Old 09-23-2022, 04:08 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

18 count grade A large eggs today $2.89 Food Lion, Ashland Virginia. I restocked the soup section of the cupboard today, either Presto or Campbell Chunky was always on sale at 2 for $3, now on sale $2.29 each. It could not been more than a year that I stocked up on soup. Name brand soda $7.99 a 12 pack, that was never more than $4.99 a year or so ago. I seriously would like to see what goes into calculating inflation.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:44 PM   #39
wisconsin

Simple things, like beef sticks at Kwik Trip that were $1.69 now $1.99. Lindt dark chocolate that was 2/$5 now $3.39. Small bag of Ruffles labeled at $5.19! Well, save 51 cents at Wal Mart, but that bag was like $3.99 a year ago. House brand yogurt from Kroger up 50% from 40 cents to now 60 cents in a year. Those are crazy upticks. And it's everything.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #40
JustRalph
Just another Facist

https://twitter.com/MillennialOther/...ccfhM3zlE1Nd2w
Old 09-23-2022, 11:43 PM   #41
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Where are all these black white supremacist Republicans coming from?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: