Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-21-2022, 10:06 PM   #16
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt View Post
The only possible excuse is the horse got so unbalanced from all his looking around that it felt off.... in which case he'd still deserve life for incompetence.
Last 20 seconds about sums it up.

GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2022, 10:19 PM   #17
dilanesp

The first part of it looked like Big Brown in the Belmont. Wasn't expecting the re-rally to (of course) not get up in time though.

Yep, the fix is in.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2022, 10:33 PM   #18
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Regarding the scene from Easy Money, two trivia questions for the hardcore harness fans : [1] What was the real name of Hoover Downs? [2] What driver did Joe Pesci tackle out of the bike?
Roosevelt and was the last name Vasco?
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #19
ranchwest

Still not as bad as the fog jockey at Delta. He parked his horse for a lap and set a track record in a bottom level claimer. They couldn't give him the maximum penalty because the purse was so low that the jockey's share made it a misdemeanor.

Good thing Chickeness was able to get in his nap.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #20
westernmassbob

I can’t believe that people actually think this race was fixed. Clearly the horse was blown out and the field caught up, horse floated outside from getting tired and then switched leads. I mean the payoffs aren’t even suspect. The exacta paid above average based on odds.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 08:20 AM   #21
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Roosevelt and was the last name Vasco?
The "race" was filmed at Pompano Park and Bill Popfinger was in the bike (and did his own stunt work). If you look closely earlier in the video, you can actually see "William Popfinger Stables" on the sulky shaft.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 09:25 AM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I can’t believe that people actually think this race was fixed. Clearly the horse was blown out and the field caught up, horse floated outside from getting tired and then switched leads. I mean the payoffs aren’t even suspect. The exacta paid above average based on odds.
It was likely a failed fix.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 09:31 AM   #23
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It was likely a failed fix.
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 10:17 AM   #24
Bustin Stones

This is a very nice example of only seeing what we want to see. Focus on when the jockey stops urging and then begins again. If the horse is dead why start urging again? It's as though he bragged that his mount was so much better he could let the field pass him in the stretch and still win this race.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #25
wisconsin

Almost reminds me of the Fonner Park covid meet, where jockeys apparently took turns, having just one runner under urging while everyone else sat chilly with nobody actually persevering from 3/16ths on in.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #26
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Almost reminds me of the Fonner Park covid meet, where jockeys apparently took turns, having just one runner under urging while everyone else sat chilly with nobody actually persevering from 3/16ths on in.
I would classify this as a "c" type track with less quality horses. The horse had a huge lead because the fractions were above average and set up for closers. I would say 95% of the time horses would fade in the lane like that horse was expectedly doing. There is a small percentage of time where a horse switches leads and regains momentum after falling back in the stretch. There is no way after those fractions (at that track) and that lead the jockey could have ever predicted the horse would have anything left in the tank. He looks back and veers out because his horse was tired and knew the pact was coming.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #27
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post

I believe this jock races at Fonner last meet or 2 meets ago. Got very few mounts and was an auto toss.

Guys you are not dealing with the creme de la creme of jocks. Even when Penn National jocks were going dead( something I knew from an OTB acquaintance) regularly, if you watched the riders race not go these guys were dead, you would be fooled. What scares me more than a rarely used c circuit jock are the jocks on the better circuits that can make go dead without being noticed.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #28
classhandicapper

The whole thing was strange. Had he wanted to finish off the board, pulling the horse up and moving outside was the perfect thing to do. He could claim he felt something funny in the way the horse was moving and was looking back to see where the other horses were in order to try to avoid an accident. But then he suddenly started riding and whipping again and the horse finished really well to get 2nd. It's almost as if some other horse was supposed to win but when that horse didn't fire, he decided he might as try to win instead.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I would classify this as a "c" type track with less quality horses. The horse had a huge lead because the fractions were above average and set up for closers. I would say 95% of the time horses would fade in the lane like that horse was expectedly doing. There is a small percentage of time where a horse switches leads and regains momentum after falling back in the stretch. There is no way after those fractions (at that track) and that lead the jockey could have ever predicted the horse would have anything left in the tank. He looks back and veers out because his horse was tired and knew the pact was coming.
Well, for one thing, you have no idea how accurate those fractions are. I have tested them and they are all over the place. They are hand-times and not very good ones. Trust them at your own peril. For another, that is not what a rejuvenation from a lead change looks like, not even close. That horses was practically being eased then suddenly was running like the race just started. You've got to be pulling our chain with that one.

Last edited by cj; 07-22-2022 at 01:28 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #30
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Well, for one thing, you have no idea how accurate those fractions are. I have tested them and they are all over the place. They are hand-times and not very good ones. Trust them at your own peril. For another, that is not what a rejuvenation from a lead change looks like, not even close. That horses was practically being eased then suddenly was running like the race just started. You've got to be pulling our chain with that one.
I’m really not but to be more specific in my terminology ...big lead throughout race, green in stretch then comes on again.