Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-03-2022, 03:59 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The trend continues…..blue states losing

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...r-red-n1602680

“In the competition for America’s best and brightest residents, the most populous blue states are becoming perennial losers. In 2020, New York, Illinois, California, Massachusetts, and New Jersey suffered net losses in their population, with high-earners taking their income — and tax base — with them:

New York was the biggest loser, netting a loss of almost 250,000 residents, who took with them a net of $19.5 billion in income — fully 2.5% of the state’s entire adjusted gross income (AGI) in 2019.
California did second-worst, losing a net of 263,000 residents and $17.8 billion in income.
The third biggest loser was Illinois, whose 101,000 emigrants took income worth $8.5 billion with them
Massachusetts came in fourth with a net loss of $2.6 billion.
New Jersey took fifth place with $2.3 billion in lost income.”

Last edited by JustRalph; 06-03-2022 at 04:01 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
Stevecsd2

When things get bad enough, and you can't change things where they are, people vote with their feet and move.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
Al Gobbi

only going to get worse with increased inflation, higher costs and the likely economic collapse
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2022, 03:48 PM   #4
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...r-red-n1602680

“In the competition for America’s best and brightest residents, the most populous blue states are becoming perennial losers. In 2020, New York, Illinois, California, Massachusetts, and New Jersey suffered net losses in their population, with high-earners taking their income — and tax base — with them:

New York was the biggest loser, netting a loss of almost 250,000 residents, who took with them a net of $19.5 billion in income — fully 2.5% of the state’s entire adjusted gross income (AGI) in 2019.
California did second-worst, losing a net of 263,000 residents and $17.8 billion in income.
The third biggest loser was Illinois, whose 101,000 emigrants took income worth $8.5 billion with them
Massachusetts came in fourth with a net loss of $2.6 billion.
New Jersey took fifth place with $2.3 billion in lost income.”
What a shock. People are moving from cold weather states, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts and New Jersey to Florida, Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina-all warm weather states.

https://www.npr.org/local/309/2020/0...linois-and-why

In Illinois the number of people over 65 who moved out of state increased by 50%. Those are not people moving their businesses out of the state. Those are people moving to a retirement home in a warm climate.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #5
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
What a shock. People are moving from cold weather states, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts and New Jersey to Florida, Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina-all warm weather states.

In Illinois the number of people over 65 who moved out of state increased by 50%. Those are not people moving their businesses out of the state. Those are people moving to a retirement home in a warm climate.
That is what CNN tells you, swallow hard.

Convenient to leave out the best weather location, California.

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 06-03-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:

You left out California, go ole liberal don't tell the whole story, par for the course. How do you become an expert in your own mind after a career as a mailman, and a what a High School education? You are the only one here who doesn't see yourself as an out of touch with reality liberal homer fool.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2022, 05:20 PM   #7
davew

Quote:

if only they could wait a few more years, catastrophic climate disruption is going to cause all states to be 'warm' states .... of course they have to make it through next winter which will be the most expensive heating season EVER.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2022, 10:38 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I wish I could go back to California in about 1945.

Best weather in the country (SoCal) population much smaller. Boom time on the horizon. Freeways almost non existent.

I would teleport tomorrow
Old 06-03-2022, 11:44 PM   #9
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
That is what CNN tells you, swallow hard.

Convenient to leave out the best weather location, California.
California is falling apart so fast that it has the fifth largest economy in the world.
People are leaving California so fast that it gained 6.1% in population between 2010 and 2020.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:58 PM   #10
Clocker

Quote:
People are leaving California so fast that it gained 6.1% in population between 2010 and 2020.
How many of those people were able to contribute to the economic development and improvement of the state other than as basic labor?
Old 06-04-2022, 12:06 AM   #11
P.Rosa
Gambler

Quote:
California is falling apart so fast that it has the fifth largest economy in the world.
"From 2010 to 2020, California’s population grew by 5.8% (or 2.4 million), according to decennial census counts. This was slower than the rate of growth in the rest of the nation (6.8%), leading to the loss of a seat in the US House of Representatives for the first time in California’s history."

https://www.ppic.org/publication/cal...as-population/
Old 06-04-2022, 12:41 AM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Hey numb nuts, that is due to retirees and the well to do fleeing and 3rd world country poor and uneducated flooding in from the southern border.
That is a great transformation. As far as your GDP numbers you need to see the breakdown, nothing to be impressed with, a big chunk is government.
You need to put some context to your numbers, as without they are meaningless like most of the useless trash you spew.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #13
how cliche
How Cliche

this is a post and run as there's not time to be anchored to the board in a back and forth. remiss for that. can't speak to any of the arguments put forth above. can only remark on personal circumstances and decisions in and around them.

california born and raised. middle aged married fam never lived anywhere else. tbh don't want to. have saved and invested a goodly amount for retirement. why are we looking in tx,ms,la,ga,sc,nc,va,ky,ar to move? we're soft when it comes to winters, so the south is the spot. a third of it. the cost of real estate is reasonable in those states. two thirds of it.

real estate is so expensive here we hardly ever achieve our goals if we stay and almost always do if relocating. simple really.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by how cliche View Post
this is a post and run as there's not time to be anchored to the board in a back and forth. remiss for that. can't speak to any of the arguments put forth above. can only remark on personal circumstances and decisions in and around them.

california born and raised. middle aged married fam never lived anywhere else. tbh don't want to. have saved and invested a goodly amount for retirement. why are we looking in tx,ms,la,ga,sc,nc,va,ky,ar to move? we're soft when it comes to winters, so the south is the spot. a third of it. the cost of real estate is reasonable in those states. two thirds of it.

real estate is so expensive here we hardly ever achieve our goals if we stay and almost always do if relocating. simple really.

I escaped Southern California to Virginia 11 years ago at the age of 50. The only drawback in Virginia, is 3 months of nasty summer humidity and if you live in the woods like me, me there are quite a few bugs. I would say winters aren't too bad, probably average 12-24 inches of snow a year where I am at.
The snow never accumulates, you rarely get consecutive storms and it is rare

to have too many straight days where it doesn't crack freezing and it starts melting. Been to most of those other places you listed except La, and Ga.
Been to Arkansas half a dozen times and it gave me the creeps. For the record I didn't stray too far off I-40. I grabbed breakfast at a Waffle House and I swear I was sitting in on a KKK meeting. Another trip I stopped at a mini market filling station, and ate at a McDonald's for lunch and it was like I was the only white person in that area. I thought I had traveled back to 1960, very segregated. They also have dry counties.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by how cliche View Post

I asked a guy who moved from Sacramento to a Houston suburb why he moved. He said his wife wanted to own a house and have kids.

He was born n raised in California along w his wife. They live in a 4 bed 3200 sq foot place in north Houston now. 2 kids. He paid 195k for the house about 7 yrs ago. He told me the same house in Sacramento would be over a million, and probably 1.5 mil.