Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #31
kingfin66
Bombardier

Oddly enough, I always thought that Tom Arnold was funny.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #32
Striker

"I think you may have something here."

-JS
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #33
ArlJim78

Didn't do much of anything. went out and picked up a marble rye then went to the movies and saw Prognosis Negative with my friend Bob Sacamano.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #34
Greyfox

Flyweight questions.

The other day I watched the movie, The Spirit of St Louis....
or maybe "The Pride of St Louis"- an oldie....
a flick about Charles Lindbergh's flight over the Atlantic.

In the movie, a fly was in the airplane.
As Lindbergh only had so much gas to get to Paris from New York, he had not calculated whether or not a fly, that appeared in the cockpit, would add to the weight of the plane. He wondered if that would add to the weight of the plane and said "Interesting Question."

Over a barbeque tonight, I asked :

Did the fly add to the weight of the plane?

A well respected engineer, thought for a second and said:
"Not as long as it remained flying."
I said: "Well, if you had a balloon with a fly would it be heavier?"
He said: "No....the energy of the fly flying would not effect the weight as long as it was flying and didn't land on the balloon."
To demonstrate his argument, he stood up, hopped up a foot and said:
"What's my weight while I'm hopping?"

I said: "Well if you had a balloon with 20,000 flies inside, are you telling me that they don't effect the weight as long as they are flying?"
He replied: "If they are flying....no."
I don't believe that, or I haven't wrapped my mind around that yet for sure..

At any rate, an interesting Question raised in the Lindbergh Spirit of St Louis movie.

Certainly a good movie though. The Pride of St Louis or something to that effect on Turner.

Last edited by Greyfox; 06-27-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #35
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapperAl
Following Jerry Seinfeld lead on "A Show about Nothing", why not "A Thread about Nothing?" Many of these threads (including mine) end up being about nothing even if they were started with good intent. So, let's try it. Here goes:

My sister and her daughter are coming over today. I'm grilling chicken. You never know how the chicken is going to come out. Kathy, my wife, will fix the sides. How is it that every time I cook, I just know that she's doing more work? Can't win.

It's called playing chicken, Al. Next time she approaches you about cooking, you just run ....
r-r-right out the door, Al.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 AM   #36
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canleakid
chicken on a can

If you have an appetite after seeing that, you're plucky.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #37
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canleakid
,,, comes the guy next door ... wet and sloppy ... rub wet ribs ... come on ... finale ... adios ...

Eeyew !!! Eeyew !!!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #38
bigmack

Quiet few games of ping pong this AM as last eve left me a bit green.

Invited to have brunch at Marriott with woman who is GM. It's good to know a hotel GM. All good there.

Came back played some equine. Hit a nice Ex @ LoneStar or someplace. Was actually thrilled the price closed the deal on top.

Some guy I knew up in Arrowhead was in town. I drove him around for the sights and smells of SD. En route he told me some odd story about his wife mentioning to him a month or so ago that in their 12 year marriage she had never had an O. Not knowing what else to say, "That's odd", I said.

Lent some other woman's kids some bikes to cruise the beach. I went with for a few miles.

6th grade teacher I met a while back invited me over. I said I'd grab some filets and shrimp. She's got a lovely home but no grill in back. I stop by Home Depot tell them I know her fairly well but not enough to spring for a full grill. I get a $30 portable propane grill that's perfect.

Grill 'em up to perfection, along with shrimp scampi visit with her 16 year old kid and a couple of her friends. Kick back and watch Unknown with Liam - what's his name. Kid leaves, teach gets frisky. Kid walks back in forgetting something while teach was getting frisky. Kid leaves.

Movie goes unwatched. Arrive home 12:30AM.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #39
Grits

There are some fine husbands and sons here who read like outstanding "grill men." What a wonderful skill. (One, I miss A LOT! The former spouse was excellent at the grill.) With two Webers, one big one that can cook plenty of anything at once, another that's small, a petite version, that uses only propane cylinders, along with a two burner fish cooker, I have "the goods." The covers remain on them most of the time, only the petite size is used these days. Maybe I need to have an evening or Sunday afternoon "do".

Chickie, cooking this meal . . . you're bound to be your mom's favorite child!! Anyone that adds veggies like grilled asparagus or portabellos to the fare . . . is kickin' it.

Quote:
Mowed the lawn, heading out for some bird seed for the birdfeeder. And some dinner fixins, my mom is in town, I decided to do grilled chicken, grilled asparagus, and pasta carbonara.
Its Monday, before 7 a.m., the entire thread has made me hungry; all I hear outside at the moment are the birds, and the irrigation. Breakfast can wait a bit, for now its just coffee with Zo perched on the ottoman "in her morning spot" watching the world outside. (As seen in the avatar.)

Sure is a nice thread to read, guys. Its more about something than you think.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #40
HUSKER55

hey bigmack, those bikes you lent out,...are those the electric ones you were telling us about?

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #41
canleakid

It's 'bout 80 degrees this morning time to take Sooner for his morning constitutional (yes we scoop) then off on my 90 min. run, stop at Mickey D's for my .38 cent cup of senior decaf, stop and play my day pick 3 and pick 4 numbers ( hit 2 pick 3's for $250.00 each in the last 3 weeks, no luck with the pick 4 yet) then back home for my bowl of Total. Got two races at Philly to handicap for a contest, do some work in the back yard, today is salad day so I will go with the Elaine Benes "BIG SALAD" why becasue it is so "BIG"
Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #42
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Quiet few games of ping pong this AM as last eve left me a bit green.

Invited to have brunch at Marriott with woman who is GM. It's good to know a hotel GM. All good there.

Came back played some equine. Hit a nice Ex @ LoneStar or someplace. Was actually thrilled the price closed the deal on top.

Some guy I knew up in Arrowhead was in town. I drove him around for the sights and smells of SD. En route he told me some odd story about his wife mentioning to him a month or so ago that in their 12 year marriage she had never had an O. Not knowing what else to say, "That's odd", I said.

Lent some other woman's kids some bikes to cruise the beach. I went with for a few miles.

6th grade teacher I met a while back invited me over. I said I'd grab some filets and shrimp. She's got a lovely home but no grill in back. I stop by Home Depot tell them I know her fairly well but not enough to spring for a full grill. I get a $30 portable propane grill that's perfect.

Grill 'em up to perfection, along with shrimp scampi visit with her 16 year old kid and a couple of her friends. Kick back and watch Unknown with Liam - what's his name. Kid leaves, teach gets frisky. Kid walks back in forgetting something while teach was getting frisky. Kid leaves.

Movie goes unwatched. Arrive home 12:30AM.

Great account of couch pong, Mack (I got an arrowhead and a Mt. Baldy-size big bear reading it), but can we please get back on topic ? Jeez.

I found The Great Escape video at Salvation Army. The lady charged me two dollars (double album), and I was feeling so good I forwent the "Do you know who I am ?" routine.

Strategy for doing nothing: stop whatever you are doing, then don't do what comes naturally. You'll know when you get there.

So burnt from work Sunday that all I wanted were a drink and a cigarette. I eventually got out for a walk, thank God.

My favorite San Diego sight is the sign warning drivers of families running across the freeway. Also not to be missed are caguama tacos in Tecate.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #43
Light
Veteran

Everything comes from nothing.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, and nothing comes from anything.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #45
DJofSD
Screw PC

But, if space is a vacuum and is mostly nothing but the universe is finite in size, what lies beyond the edge of the universe?