Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #3901
hcap

Why do you suppose some "religious" people feel the need to to ridicule and belittle the evidence driven scientific method? Most religions today have no problem with rationality. And most of science tries not to criticize religion, unless that religion tries to impose their views on real world events and influence legislation
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #3902
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Don't you think this entire thread that you spent "x" amount of time on is meaningless? You've enlightened nobody because this has been one big ego trip on your part. Not what Christ would recommend.
Another arrogant presumption. You speak for all the many lurkers, too?

And how would you know what Christ recommended? Aren't you a member of the Ignorance is Delightfully Blissful Club? You hypocrite! You'll appeal to Christ when you think it works against me, but at the same time you could give two flips about what he "recommended" to YOU about eternal life, judgment, damnation, salvation, etc. You should be infinitely more concerned about the safety of your own immortal soul than any perceived sin in me, and for which you'll never answer.

Boxcar
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #3903
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
Why do you suppose some "religious" people feel the need to to ridicule and belittle the evidence driven scientific method?
Because so much of it is junk science?

Boxcar
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #3904
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Because so much of it is junk science?

Boxcar
I know, evolution, geology, chemistry, paleontology, astrophysics, physics, and biology is just all wrong. As you have told us many times typing on your computer over the "internet" after quoting Christian apologetic theory published on the same medium, downloaded to your computer. All of which, would not exist if we still believed Joshua made the sun stand still and that the earth is under 10,000 years old---LITERALLY. ...........rather than the hard science that built this technology using all of the so-called "junk sciences" you poo-poo as worthless.

Why don't you tell us again about how you could show Steven Hawking and Albert Einstein a thing or two about 4 dimensional space time ,and straighten them out mathematically, although it is quite obvious you never went past simple arithmetic.

Last edited by hcap; 02-20-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #3905
boxcar

Quote:
I know, evolution, geology, chemistry, paleontology, astrophysics, physics, and biology is just all wrong. As you have told us many times typing on your computer over the "internet" after quoting Christian apologetic theory published on the same medium, downloaded to your computer. All of which, would not exist if we still believed Joshua made the sun stand still and that the earth is under 10,000 years old---LITERALLY. ...........rather than the hard science that built this technology using all of the so-called "junk sciences" you poo-poo as worthless.

Why don't you tell us again about how you could show Steven Hawking and Albert Einstein a thing or two about 4 dimensional space time ,and straighten them out mathematically, although it is quite obvious you never went past simple arithmetic.
I suspect that any day now, those "rogue" scientists will succeed in turning that "space-time" clock back to just Space, Time. (You recall that article I linked you to, right?) Meanwhile, you had better enjoy your last days in your 4-D digs while you still have it.

Boxcar
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #3906
Greyfox

Quote:
I suspect that any day now, those "rogue" scientists will succeed in turning that "space-time" clock back to just Space, Time.

Boxcar
If per chance your watch can travel 186,000 miles per second through Space,
the Time on your watch will stand still.

Space and Time are very much related.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #3907
hcap

Quote:
I suspect that any day now, those "rogue" scientists will succeed in turning that "space-time" clock back to just Space, Time. (You recall that article I linked you to, right?) Meanwhile, you had better enjoy your last days in your 4-D digs while you still have it.
No I do not. Link to it.

BTW, any more of your physics lessons planned for publication in peer review journals? Try submitting to Scientific American and see how many in the field will take seriously any paper on theoretical physics without a rigorous mathematical grounding.

Hint: Knowing your multiplication tables only will not impress anyone when it comes to space time, let alone concepts like string theory, and (mem) branes, which propose possibly 11 and more dimensions.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #3908
Light
Veteran

Quote:
And how would you know what Christ recommended?
Because he said this "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

He was referring to the ego of the rich man. Ego is also in non rich men. Ego is what separates us from God. All I see in this thread is your ego. This has never been a real theological discussion. It's been your way is right or the highway.How do I know that? Because even when I or others quoted things from the Bible, you put your own spin on it to re invent what was meant. When we say things are open to interpretation, you say it's your way or the highway.Maybe not using those words, but that's what you seem to convey.

Quote:
Aren't you a member of the Ignorance is Delightfully Blissful Club?
You must be referring to my meditation. If you ever tried to meditate, you would see that it is possibly the hardest thing to do. Plus you would see yourself for a change.

Quote:
You hypocrite! You'll appeal to Christ when you think it works against me, but at the same time you could give two flips about what he "recommended" to YOU about eternal life, judgment, damnation, salvation, etc.
You have no idea what relationship I have with JC. I can tell you I have experienced him in my life in the form of miracles, so you have no idea what you are talking to.

Quote:
You should be infinitely more concerned about the safety of your own immortal soul than any perceived sin in me, and for which you'll never answer.

Boxcar
Once again you are one dimensional. Good and bad. Sin and purity. You don't see the whole.

No I'm not concerned with your soul. I don't think you go to hell when you die. You only go there if you want to go there. Otherwise all dogs go to an eternal love that created them.

BTW, I see the copycat Boxcar imitating Christ here. "You Hypocrite" Or in your last statement, its equivalent to Christs "Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye and not the log in your own"

I mean can you be original? Can you talk from your own experience? Or do you just like to practice preaching?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #3909
hcap

Hey box, take a quick look at string theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_..._of_dimensions

An excerpt.....

"An intriguing feature of string theory is that it predicts extra dimensions. In classical string theory the number of dimensions is not fixed by any consistency criterion. However, to make a consistent quantum theory, string theory is required to live in a spacetime of the so-called "critical dimension": we must have 26 spacetime dimensions for the bosonic string and 10 for the superstring. This is necessary to ensure the vanishing of the conformal anomaly of the worldsheet conformal field theory. Modern understanding indicates that there exist less-trivial ways of satisfying this criterion. Cosmological solutions exist in a wider variety of dimensionalities, and these different dimensions are related by dynamical transitions. The dimensions are more precisely different values of the "effective central charge", a count of "degrees" of freedom that reduces to dimensionality in weakly curved regimes.[14][15]"

Good luck
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #3910
Overlay

Quote:
Because he said this "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

He was referring to the ego of the rich man. Ego is also in non rich men. Ego is what separates us from God. All I see in this thread is your ego.
Ego/pride is, as you say, a universal impediment (for both the rich and non-rich) to recognizing and acknowledging their sinful condition and need of God's forgiveness. But wealth itself can also provide the added temptation to place one's trust in it both for well-being and for a sense or affirmation of one's value as a person (which is an impediment that the non-rich do not have to deal with), rather than viewing it as a tool that God has provided to the rich as a means of helping those who are less materially fortunate, or who have not heard the Gospel.

Last edited by Overlay; 02-20-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #3911
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay
Ego/pride is, as you say, a universal impediment (for both the rich and non-rich) to recognizing and acknowledging their sinful condition and need of God's forgiveness. But wealth itself can also provide the added temptation to place one's trust in it both for well-being and for a sense or affirmation of one's value as a person (which is an impediment that the non-rich do not have to deal with), rather than viewing it as a tool that God has provided to the rich as a means of helping those who are less materially fortunate, or who have not heard the Gospel.
Many paths to God/satori/enlightenment start with recognizing the difference between ego and our simpler truer nature. Being a "WITNESS" is an ongoing process and requires honesty and vigilance. Seeing the subtleties of ego and ego taking "credit" for that which is not ego's, is a task of a lifetime.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #3912
boxcar

Quote:
Hey box, take a quick look at string theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_..._of_dimensions

An excerpt.....

"An intriguing feature of string theory is that it predicts extra dimensions. In classical string theory the number of dimensions is not fixed by any consistency criterion. However, to make a consistent quantum theory, string theory is required to live in a spacetime of the so-called "critical dimension": we must have 26 spacetime dimensions for the bosonic string and 10 for the superstring. This is necessary to ensure the vanishing of the conformal anomaly of the worldsheet conformal field theory. Modern understanding indicates that there exist less-trivial ways of satisfying this criterion. Cosmological solutions exist in a wider variety of dimensionalities, and these different dimensions are related by dynamical transitions. The dimensions are more precisely different values of the "effective central charge", a count of "degrees" of freedom that reduces to dimensionality in weakly curved regimes.[14][15]"

Good luck
I believe the String THEORY has you on its string.

Boxcar
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #3913
boxcar

Quote:

He was referring to the ego of the rich man. Ego is also in non rich men. Ego is what separates us from God. All I see in this thread is your ego. This has never been a real theological discussion. It's been your way is right or the highway.How do I know that? Because even when I or others quoted things from the Bible, you put your own spin on it to re invent what was meant. When we say things are open to interpretation, you say it's your way or the highway.Maybe not using those words, but that's what you seem to convey.

You must be referring to my meditation. If you ever tried to meditate, you would see that it is possibly the hardest thing to do. Plus you would see yourself for a change.

You have no idea what relationship I have with JC. I can tell you I have experienced him in my life in the form of miracles, so you have no idea what you are talking to.

Once again you are one dimensional. Good and bad. Sin and purity. You don't see the whole.

No I'm not concerned with your soul. I don't think you go to hell when you die. You only go there if you want to go there. Otherwise all dogs go to an eternal love that created them.

BTW, I see the copycat Boxcar imitating Christ here. "You Hypocrite" Or in your last statement, its equivalent to Christs "Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye and not the log in your own"

I mean can you be original? Can you talk from your own experience? Or do you just like to practice preaching?
Whatever relationship you think you have with Christ, it certainly doesn't appear to be a biblical one. It's one made up on your terms.

And by the way, it might interest you to know that this Jesus (with whom you claim to have a relationship) was the really the one who developed the doctrine of hell and eternal punishment. Seems pretty odd that you would have this relationship with a person when you don't trust him and believe his teachings in so many areas.

Boxcar
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #3914
hcap

Quote:
I believe the String THEORY has you on its string.

Boxcar
Common box, you have no inkling whatsoever as to what string theory is. Nor it's use of multidimensional space. Instead you stick your fingers in your ears, elbows over your eyes, and block out what does not fit into your biblical world view. Seriously you cannot be taken seriously in theoretical physics without a thorough grounding in higher math. You may bluff your way thru your tiny interpretation of religion, but whenever you apply your tiny world view onto the big bad phenomenal world, it always come up lacking. You might as well turn modern thought back 1000 years to the notion that the sun revolves around the earth and witches ride broomsticks.

You cannot admit that the same sciences and laws that allow you the use of a computer, the internet , cars, Alka Seltzer and toilet paper, defines stuff way better than your provincial superstitious theories
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #3915
boxcar

Quote:
Common box, you have no inkling whatsoever as to what string theory is. Nor it's use of multidimensional space. Instead you stick your fingers in your ears, elbows over your eyes, and block out what does not fit into your biblical world view. Seriously you cannot be taken seriously in theoretical physics without a thorough grounding in higher math. You may bluff your way thru your tiny interpretation of religion, but whenever you apply your tiny world view onto the big bad phenomenal world, it always come up lacking. You might as well turn modern thought back 1000 years to the notion that the sun revolves around the earth and witches ride broomsticks.

You cannot admit that the same sciences and laws that allow you the use of a computer, the internet , cars, Alka Seltzer and toilet paper, defines stuff way better than your provincial superstitious theories
Yeah, I do admit to the "same science and laws" that tells me that I live in a three-dimensional world. That is the real world. Everything else is theory.

Boxcar