Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
positive4th

Big Cap Pick 4

Not usually a big Pick 4 player, but couldn't really resist on this one:

Santa Anita, R8-R11:

$30

Also a small play on the perceived faves:

$6

Throw in $20 to Win on R10 Mr. Commons, and a $5 Win on R7 Da Ruler just to get going, and the total play for Santa Anita = $61
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
positive4th

Da Ruler got mauled on the stretch, backed up fast, never really a chance after that. Probably wasn't the day to back him.......let's move on to the main events.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
positive4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by positive4th

Santa Anita, R8-R11:

$30

$6

Throw in $20 to Win on R10 Mr. Commons, and a $5 Win on R7 Da Ruler just to get going, and the total play for Santa Anita = $61
RACE 8:
Other than elimination in the first leg, that was probably the worst result for me as the stayed up to win. Of course, the way this ticket is constructed it's still full-speed ahead 2 x 1 x 5 the rest of the way, BUT I'm guessing that this result probably just took away any and all hedge options should I make it alive to Race 11.

Last edited by positive4th; 03-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.
positive4th is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
positive4th

Quote:
RACE 8:
Other than elimination in the first leg, that was probably the worst result for me as the stayed up to win. Of course, the way this ticket is constructed it's still full-speed ahead 2 x 1 x 5 the rest of the way, BUT I'm guessing that this result probably just took away any and all hedge options should I make it alive to Race 11.
A big part of me, the part that likes money, was hoping that the would get up on the head bob, but at least the ticket stayed alive. Considering that 6-deep is really no opinion at all, it could've been much worse.

I was enthusiastic when I checked on the DD Pools for R8-R9, simply because it seems to indicate that the drew a TON of action in the exotic pools, which leaves some hope for my tickets.

Gotta get through the 2 x 1 portion in the middle first before we start counting money, though. Good Luck.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
positive4th

If the or guns down my runners in Race 9, I'll just have to take it. Not even considering any sort of hedge here, just expecting that my two will get the best of it.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
positive4th

Quote:

Santa Anita, R8-R11:

$30

$6

Race 9:

Well, I guess it's been (mostly) free money on Baffert runners today, this meet, this year, etc. Nice run by the and best result for me moving along.

That being said, I kinda figured the was ruining the whole race by straying around the turn. Honestly, we're lucky that the never really fired, we got a 2nd-choice winner home, and move along to our single stand in R10, the Mr. Commons.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
positive4th

Going to go ahead and hedge a little in Race 10.

Should be a 2-horse affair between the and , and with my money already riding on the , I'm going to place a $14 Win bet on the as a mini-hedge.

My thinking is this:

++ If the wins, I'll just be cutting into his profit a little and holding 5 runners in the Big Cap. Based on the Pick 3 payoffs, I think my probable Pick 4 numbers will be able to overcome the lost cash on the should he lose.

++ If this race gets outside of these two, I would've lost anyhow, and I refuse to back any of the others. Look, I'm all for longshots, but if you go past these two, you'd about have to take all to be covered.

++ Should the win, I'll still lose money on the whole adventure, but should basically recoup the Pick 4 losses, which means on paper I really am only "losing" the bet on Mr. Commons.

With that all said, my total outlay now stands at $75.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
positive4th

Race 10:

And so it was that I turned it into a $75 waylaid adventure. That's fine - - as much as it kinda stinks to lose to a somewhat sensible Rosario-O'Neill horse, when you're beat you're beat, and the just ran great. Cost myself a few extra bucks, but I still like the idea, even though it didn't work out. Good luck to those that had him and stayed alive. There are very few of you out there.