Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Who wins HOY? Accelerate or Justify?
Accelerate wins HOY 119 42.35%
Justify wins HOY 162 57.65%
Voters: 281. This poll is closed

Old 11-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #136
bobphilo

Accelerate deserves to be HOTY but the voters will likely play to the ignorant masses who are not racing fans and only are interested in the Ky Derby and the other Triple Crown races if their is a TC at stake, and elect Justify. The problem is these people don' care or even know about the Eclipse Awards, so their will be an injustice for no reason. Even if they do care, this will only justify the belief that racing only matters for a couple of months each year (pun intended).
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #137
classhandicapper

These awards are subjective.

Should you be voting for the best horse, the horse that accomplished the most, should speed figures matter, whose speed figures, should it be mostly about Grade 1 and other Graded victories, should you include trips if you believe a certain horse was way better than he/she finished in a significant race, does heads up count more, does longevity of campaign count, do foreign races count if the horse raced in the US also, do turf races count for the non turf categories, if yes, do they count as much as dirt races, do 3yo Grade 1s count as much as open races etc...

There are no rules.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #138
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #139
classhandicapper

It's an interesting debate.

I think Accelerate was the better horse, but Justify may have been the more talented horse. We just didn't get to see him develop because even at the end he was still very lightly raced and IMO possibly not 100%.

Both had amazing campaigns in terms of accomplishments, but both took advantage of some very weak fields in their division along the way.

I still haven't made up my mind.

I wonder what the odds line would be on who wins?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #140
BaBaBooey

Justify - Triple Crown Winner - 'nuf said
Old 12-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #141
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #142
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

I think Accelerate was the better horse, but Justify may have been the more talented horse. We just didn't get to see him develop because even at the end he was still very lightly raced and IMO possibly not 100%.

Both had amazing campaigns in terms of accomplishments, but both took advantage of some very weak fields in their division along the way.

Justify 1-5
Accelerate 6-1
Monomoy Girl 50-1

(No takeout)
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #143
v j stauffer

Post #142 in this thread. My first.

Justify today named #16 in ESPN's Dominant 20! for 2018.

Nobody that works at ESPN, with the possible exception of Kenny Mayne, has ever heard of Accelerate.

Meaning

Justify 99.8%

Accelerate 0.1%

Asaro 0.1%
Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #144
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Post #142 in this thread. My first.

Justify today named #16 in ESPN's Dominant 20! for 2018.

Nobody that works at ESPN, with the possible exception of Kenny Mayne, has ever heard of Accelerate.

Meaning

Justify 99.8%

Accelerate 0.1%

Asaro 0.1%
Quite true, but that is exactly a demonstration of how sick our sport is. The only way we get attention is if a horse wins 3 restricted stakes and if he or she does, it doesn't matter if the horse has a 6 race 5 month career with no real accomplishments whatsoever.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #145
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Quite true, but that is exactly a demonstration of how sick our sport is. The only way we get attention is if a horse wins 3 restricted stakes and if he or she does, it doesn't matter if the horse has a 6 race 5 month career with no real accomplishments whatsoever.
I agree. This poll says lot more about the ignorance of horse racing of ESPNs staff than it does about who should get HOY.

Regardless of who one supports for HOY, anyone who has never even heard of Accelerate doesn't know shit from shinola about horse racing and their opinion means nothing.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #146
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

HOTY should go to the horse that has actually accomplished more against all comers in open competition throughout the year. It has nothing to do with what promise a young horse has shown it may someday achieve if it meets open competition. Justify would be a good candidate for most promising newcomer award this year if such an award existed.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #147
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
HOTY should go to the horse that has actually accomplished more against all comers in open competition throughout the year. It has nothing to do with what promise a young horse has shown it may someday achieve if it meets open competition. Justify would be a good candidate for most promising newcomer award this year if such an award existed.
You just excluded pretty much all three year olds and female horses.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 AM   #148
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
This is the subjective part. There are no guidelines sent with the ballot. One person sees the Triple Crown as JV quality, others see it as the pinnacle of the sport. I'm somewhat torn on my vote. But the more I look at the quality of the competition Accelerate beat, including in the Classic, I think he might be fool's gold. The only horse he beat all year that was G1 quality in my opinion was City of Light, and that one was in a race much too far for that horse.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #149
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This is the subjective part. There are no guidelines sent with the ballot. One person sees the Triple Crown as JV quality, others see it as the pinnacle of the sport. I'm somewhat torn on my vote. But the more I look at the quality of the competition Accelerate beat, including in the Classic, I think he might be fool's gold. The only horse he beat all year that was G1 quality in my opinion was City of Light, and that one was in a race much too far for that horse.
Has a Triple Crown Horse ever not won HOY ? I think Seattle Slew vs Forego was close. Unfortunately for racing CJ has pointed out how weak and uninspiring the handicap division has become. Are there any real G1 horses anymore ?
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #150
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Let's suppose Justify loses the Preakness by a nose.

Now who gets HOTY, him or Accelerate?

So basically running a half length faster made the difference?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: