Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-19-2020, 02:02 AM   #1
ElKabong

Democrats & Jewish Americans

I'm sure the majority of Jewish Americans will vote democrat. That's not my argument here. But I think this write up brings some very good points to conversation. Things may swing one, maybe two cycles going fwd if things don't change.

This isn't a quick read (a few minutes). A short attention span and closed mind won't absorb this, but I found a lot of points were worthy of debate. Snippage below

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/n...-being-shocked

The most recent major outrage in the Jewish community, now several news cycles behind us, came on the Shabbat before Yom Kippur—the holiest day in the Jewish calendar—when many American Jews seemed dumbfounded by what was to me predictable news: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, progressive superstar, had pulled out of an event honoring Yitzhak Rabin, the Israeli prime minister assassinated because of his efforts to make peace with the Palestinians. Rabin was, as Bill Clinton said at his funeral, “a martyr for his nation’s peace.”

Many Jews were shocked. If Rabin, the symbol of progressive Zionism, is out of bounds, are any Israelis acceptable? What about the 95% of Jews who support the Jewish state? Why would the congresswoman from the Bronx—representing the political party to which upward of 70% of American Jews have been consistently loyal—possibly do such a thing?

Perhaps, having previously admitted that she was “not the expert in geopolitics on this issue,” she didn’t know who Rabin was? That had to be it. Or maybe it was the fault of the Jewish community: Surely if she was introduced to the stable of Haaretz columnists she’d come around. After all, didn’t AOC say she had Sephardic heritage? Did she not realize it was Mandy Patinkin—Mandy Patinkin! International Rescue Committee ambassador!—who was hosting the event? She must not have understood. Surely there must be some confusion. Some miscommunication. Some mix-up.

But it wasn’t AOC who was mixed up. The savvy politician had read the room and was sending a clear signal about who belongs in the new progressive coalition and who does not. The confusion—and there seems to be a good deal of it these days—is among American Jews who think that by submitting to ever-changing loyalty tests they can somehow maintain the old status quo and their place inside of it.

Did you see that the Ethical Culture Fieldston School hosted a speaker that equated Israelis with Nazis? Did you know that Brearley is now asking families to write a statement demonstrating their commitment to “anti-racism”? Did you see that Chelsea Handler tweeted a clip of Louis Farrakhan? Did you see that protesters tagged a synagogue in Kenosha with “Free Palestine” graffiti? Did you hear about the march in D.C. where they chanted “Israel, we know you, you murder children too”? Did you hear that the Biden campaign apologized to Linda Sarsour after initially disavowing her? Did you see that Twitter suspended Bret Weinstein’s civic organization but still allows the Iranian ayatollah to openly promote genocide of the Jewish people? Did you see that Mayor Bill de Blasio scapegoated “the Jewish community” for the spread of COVID in New York, while defending mass protests on the grounds that this is a “historic moment of change”?
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 10-19-2020 at 02:05 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

I've been asking this question for years: How do Jews support the a "side" that continually supports the people who demand their extinction?

Shocks me.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I've been asking this question for years: How do Jews support the a "side" that continually supports the people who demand their extinction?

Shocks me.
Me too......for years.....
Old 10-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
classhandicapper

I think a lot of the Jewish support for the democrats stems from the Civil Rights fights of the 50s and 60s and how the parties evolved over time. The left eventually became more activist in fighting for policies they thought would help blacks and other minorities overcome poverty and discrimination (welfare, food stamps, quotas, affirmative action etc..) while the right was fighting for free markets, smaller government, enterprise zones, and equal opportunity. Many Jewish people identified with minorities and were obviously against some anti Semitic sentiments on the far right.

But somewhere along the line the left was infiltrated by many pro Palestinian and anti Semitic thinkers.

I'm not quite sure all Jewish people recognize that the democrats are not necessarily their best friends anymore.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-19-2020 at 05:21 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I think a lot of the Jewish support for the democrats stems from the Civil Rights fights of the 50s and 60s and how the parties evolved over time. The left eventually became more activist in fighting for policies they thought would help blacks and other minorities overcome poverty and discrimination (welfare, food stamps, quotas, affirmative action etc..) while the right was fighting for free markets, smaller government, enterprise zones, and equal opportunity. Many Jewish people identified with minorities and were obviously against some anti Semitic sentiments on the far right.

But somewhere along the line the left was infiltrated by many pro Palestinian and anti Semitic thinkers.

I'm not quite sure all Jewish people recognize that the democrats are not necessarily their best friends anymore.
Good analysis. I would add three additional points:

1. Non-religious Jews, principally those who inhabit the radical left have zero memory of or loyalty for Israel. They are anti-Zionists.

2. Orthodox Jews are Republicans. They left the Democratic Party decades ago. The more religious Jews are, the less likely they are democrats.

3. The remainder of traditionally liberal Jews aren’t gonna jump ship. There is no liberal wing of the Republican Party. There’s really no place for them to go.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Good analysis. I would add three additional points:

1. Non-religious Jews, principally those who inhabit the radical left have zero memory of or loyalty for Israel. They are anti-Zionists.

2. Orthodox Jews are Republicans. They left the Democratic Party decades ago. The more religious Jews are, the less likely they are democrats.

3. The remainder of traditionally liberal Jews aren’t gonna jump ship. There is no liberal wing of the Republican Party. There’s really no place for them to go.
As a former Lubavitcher, I can tell you precisely how accurate this is.

#1 is interesting because many young-ish Jews might not even know that back when Israel became a country (1948) many Jews were completely against it.
(I wasn't born yet but got a lot of Jewish history as a young man.)

#2 depicts my cousin from Ireland who lives in Carson City (23 miles away from me). Ultra-conservative. Married to an ultra-liberal. How does that even work?
(No wonder they live in different states 10 days out of 14.)
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
fast4522

I guess I would ask you people to maybe ask yourself if you think the family that you are born into has more of the effect on your political outlook than anything else. So to not use the word Jew too much, what is the likelihood if you were born a catholic that you would die a catholic. Then suggest the same thing if you were born democrat.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #8
davew

so was the 0bama regime just against Israel but not Jewish people?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Obama regime was against anything American.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
dlivery

Except for one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Obamma forgot the America pledinging his word as prisident while putting plenty of American rewards into the Family empire
dlivery is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If he could not bow to it, he was not for it.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yeah, the POS looked a friggin' chicken, pecking for seeds on the ground.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: