Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #4966
boxcar

Slow day for you today, Mr. Actor, heh?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #4967
dnlgfnk

One could consult learned sources themselves to perhaps understand, if not agree, how countless intelligent, scholarly theists interpret concepts such as the immutability of YHWH versus fluctuating emotion , as described in the bible. Or the nature of inspiration regarding biblical authorship. One could do the same with what is essentially proposed here as "petty--the Holiness Code.

The author is inspired to convey, with his own powers leaving a mark on the text, the incompatibility of idolatry (the context of "jealous" descriptions) and the God of Israel. He necessarily does so via anthropomorphism, analogously comparing YHWH's "jealousy" to that of a spouse (Hosea 1-3 esp.)

And the Holiness Code emphasized in detail, that outer holiness reflected and effected inner holiness.

Or, "scratch an atheist, find a fundamentalist".
Old 01-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #4968
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
One could consult learned sources themselves to perhaps understand, if not agree, how countless intelligent, scholarly theists interpret concepts such as the immutability of YHWH versus fluctuating emotion , as described in the bible. Or the nature of inspiration regarding biblical authorship. One could do the same with what is essentially proposed here as "petty--the Holiness Code.

The author is inspired to convey, with his own powers leaving a mark on the text, the incompatibility of idolatry (the context of "jealous" descriptions) and the God of Israel. He necessarily does so via anthropomorphism, analogously comparing YHWH's "jealousy" to that of a spouse (Hosea 1-3 esp.)

And the Holiness Code emphasized in detail, that outer holiness reflected and effected inner holiness.

Or, "scratch an atheist, find a fundamentalist".
And jealousy (i.e. righteous indignation in response to infidelity) expressed in anthropological language via analogy is perfectly appropriate. If God was not jealous for his chosen people Israel, what would that say about God's true "feelings" toward Israel? About the nature of God's love toward his chosen people? The covenant bond between the Creator-Redeemer and his chosen people is analogous to the sacred and inviolable marriage covenant between husband and wife. Hence, this analogy is often employed in scripture of Old Covenant Israel and the New Covenant Church. If a husband doesn't bat an eyelash over his wife's flirtations with other men, then can there possibly be a strong bond of love between the two? Any husband, who takes the covenant (or vows) of marriage seriously has every right to expect his wife to flirt only with him. But if she doesn't, then he has every right to be righteously indignant.

But perhaps even more than this, God is jealous of his divinity, his honor, his glory and his sovereignty. Everyone should avail themselves to Charles Spurgeon's sermon dealing with this topic of jealousy.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm...rmons/0502.cfm
Old 01-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #4969
Actor
Librocubicularist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5b70e97f7001
Old 01-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #4970
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
God is jealous of his divinity, his honor, his glory and his sovereignty.
Petty!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #4971
thaskalos

Quote:
But perhaps even more than this, God is jealous of his divinity, his honor, his glory and his sovereignty.
And I was jealous of my looks, my car, my sense of humor and my gambling ability. But they found me a good psychiatrist...and I got over it.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #4972
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
And I was jealous of my looks, my car, my sense of humor and my gambling ability. But they found me a good psychiatrist...and I got over it.
Good thing, since you and the rest of us are only the dust of the earth. Try to keep things in perspective.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #4973
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Good thing, since you and the rest of us are only the dust of the stars. Try to keep things in perspective.
FTFY!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #4974
dnlgfnk

So the camp of rationality and reason would rather respond with unserious feedback, such as a psychologically disturbed individual as representative of the effects of theism/Christianity, rather than say, Maximilian Kolbe.

I try to take skeptics at their word as to their rational motivations regarding theism, but continuing to occasionally participate here will only cement what I already suspect about the foundational motivation...

Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #4975
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
FTFY!
Nope, the dust of the earth, Actor. Close but no cigar.

Gen 2:7
7 Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
NASB
Old 01-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #4976
boxcar

Cardinal Declares that Auntie Nancy is a Saint!

Last Saturday afternoon in Washington, D.C. an aide to Nancy Pelosi visited the Bishop of the Catholic Cathedral in D.C. He told the Cardinal that Nancy Pelosi would be attending the next day’s Mass, and asked if the Cardinal would kindly point out Pelosi to the congregation and say a few words that would include calling Pelosi a saint.

The Cardinal replied, “No. I don’t really like the woman, and there are issues of conflict with the Catholic Church over some of Pelosi’s views.” Pelosi’s aide then said, “Look, I’ll write a check here and now for a donation of $100,000 to you if you’ll just tell the congregation you see Pelosi as a saint.”

The Cardinal thought about it and said, “Well, the Church can use the money, so I’ll work your request into tomorrow’s sermon.” As Pelosi’s aide promised, Nancy Pelosi appeared for the Sunday worship and seated herself prominently at the forward left side of the center aisle. As promised, at the start of his sermon, the Cardinal pointed out that Ms. Pelosi was present.

The Cardinal went on to explain to the congregation, “While Ms. Pelosi’s presence is probably an honor to some, the woman is not numbered among my personal favorite personages. Some of her most egregious views are contrary to tenets of the Church, and she tends to flip-flop on many other issues. Nancy Pelosi is a petty, self-absorbed hypocrite, a thumb sucker, and a nit-wit. Nancy Pelosi is also a serial liar, a cheat, and a thief. I must say, Nancy Pelosi is the worst example of a Catholic I have ever personally witnessed. She married for money and is using her wealth to lie to the American people. She also has a reputation for shirking her Representative obligations both in Washington and in California . The woman is simply not to be trusted.”

The Cardinal concluded. “But, when compared with Hillary Clinton, Ms. Pelosi is a saint.”

Shrewd money-making Cardinal.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #4977
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Nope, the dust of the earth, Actor. Close but no cigar.

Last edited by Actor; 01-15-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #4978
boxcar

Quote:
Sagan proves nothing. But alas, we do not have celestial bodies; we have earthly bodies (1Cor 15:40; 2Cor 5:1; Col 3:5; 2Pet 1:13-14) .

Gen 3:19
9 By the sweat of your face
You shall eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return."

NASB
Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #4979
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Sagan proves nothing.
Scripture proves nothing!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #4980
boxcar

Quote:
Scripture proves nothing!
You're wearing out the needle and the vinyl with that tired, predictable refrain.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: