Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #151
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
As far as a properly used tariff system. We are discussing tariffs are we not?

If you want to talk about quality of economic life fine. What is the economic and social cost to American society for unemployment, which arises from so-called free trade?

What unemployment? 4% right now. Natural unemployment.

The argument for tariffs is the argument for a bygone era that isn't coming back.

What net benefit do tariffs provide the average American?
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #152
Clocker

Quote:
there is no such animal as free trade.
But some animals are freer than others. Contrary to a lot of "common sense", the correct policy in dealing with a country like China is not to match their trade restrictions, but to have freer trade policies than they do.

Tariffs on imports such as Chinese steel or Canadian lumber benefit special interests in this country at the expense of the general public, the American consumer. The more that consumers must spend on Chinese steel or Canadian lumber, the less they have to spend on other products and services. The more that consumers must spend on American steel or lumber because of lack of foreign competition, the less they have to spend on other products and services.

Why shouldn't Americans buy those less expensive imports, leaving them with more disposal income to spend on other American products and services? More disposable income helps the American economy. Paying more for products, foreign or domestic, because of high tariffs hurts the economy.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #153
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
But some animals are freer than others. Contrary to a lot of "common sense", the correct policy in dealing with a country like China is not to match their trade restrictions, but to have freer trade policies than they do.

Tariffs on imports such as Chinese steel or Canadian lumber benefit special interests in this country at the expense of the general public, the American consumer. The more that consumers must spend on Chinese steel or Canadian lumber, the less they have to spend on other products and services. The more that consumers must spend on American steel or lumber because of lack of foreign competition, the less they have to spend on other products and services.

Why shouldn't Americans buy those less expensive imports, leaving them with more disposal income to spend on other American products and services? More disposable income helps the American economy. Paying more for products, foreign or domestic, because of high tariffs hurts the economy.
The liberals on here are not going to be happy with you for that comment. Don't you know the way to prosperity is through taking as much money from the American people as possible, including the middle class. Don't believe me, Mostie will be along to set you straight.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #154
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:

I have not made any argument about an economic policy responding to China's use of tariffs.

Again, elysiantraveller's cited article demonstrated the benefits of a properly applied tariff policy. China's tariff policy caused the foreign company/manufacturer to invest capital, create jobs and generate tax revenue for the tariff imposing country. As an aside the Chinese obtain new technologies, because the foreign investor/manufacturer must form a joint venture with China as a partner.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 12-29-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #155
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
The liberals on here are not going to be happy with you for that comment. Don't you know the way to prosperity is through taking as much money from the American people as possible, including the middle class. Don't believe me, Mostie will be along to set you straight.
Ah, yes, got to protect those union jobs in the steel mills.

The other side of that coin, not much discussed, is that the lower the cost of basic materials like steel or lumber, the more likely that American businesses that use those materials as inputs can keep their prices down and keep the demand for their products up. Let the market decide if we need more lumberjacks or more carpenters.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #156
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post

What unemployment? 4% right now. Natural unemployment.

The argument for tariffs is the argument for a bygone era that isn't coming back.

What net benefit do tariffs provide the average American?
Can't deal with the actual facts that trump your theory about tariffs? I have to ask, as another poster observed, have you been correct about anything you opine?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #157
Clocker

Quote:
As an aside the Chinese obtain new technologies, because the foreign investor/manufacturer must form a joint venture with China as a partner.
Yes, the cost of entry into a closed economy. How many of those joint venture folks on the Chinese side are highly connected in the party?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #158
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Can't deal with the actual facts that trump your theory about tariffs? I have to ask, as another poster observed, have you been correct about anything you opine?
What facts?

The argument is that tariffs hurt consumers.

You haven't refuted that instead you point to China a proper use of tariffs. I fail to see the tangible benefit to the consumers. I see the benefit to the party and oligarchy.

Pick up your Adam Smith.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 12-29-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #159
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Yes, the cost of entry into a closed economy. How many of those joint venture folks on the Chinese side are highly connected in the party?
I am sure all of them, since the Chinese military is the real partner.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #160
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
What facts?

The argument is that tariffs hurt consumers.

You haven't refuted that instead you point to China a proper use of tariffs. I fail to see the tangible benefit to the consumers. I see the benefit to the party and oligarchy.

The Trump model and the Chinese model are not sustainable. Pick up your Adam Smith.
Times are vastly different than the 1700's. You are right there is no benefit to the consumers via capital investment, jobs and tax revenues.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 12-29-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #161
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Times are vastly different than the 1700's. You are right there is no benefit to the consumers via capital investment, jobs and tax revenues.
And you're wrong confusing trade policy with corporate investment in emerging markets.

Couldn't possibly be the natural resources on site, the extremely cheap labor, and a market of 1.2 Billion people.

Nope it's the tariffs.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-29-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #162
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
And you're wrong confusing trade policy with corporate investment in emerging markets.

Couldn't possibly be the natural resources on site, the extremely cheap labor, and a market of 1.2 Billion people.

Nope it's the tariffs.
Or it could be the exemption from high tariffs coupled with VAT and other taxes which would increase the product price by 50%.

BTW Hamilton who actually put our financial system together favored tariffs, protective tariffs..
Old 12-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #163
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
If China wants to sell steel in America, it will move manufacturing here, as GM moved its manufacturing to China, creating capital investment, employment and tax revenues.

China is the example of the benefits of a properly constructed tariff policy.
As Toyota, Honda, Subaru and others have done - build factories here, creating jobs at the assembly plants, jobs at a vast number of US based suppliers, transportation, etc. Value added. When they build a car here, we get a lot more than a car in return. When they shop one here, we get a car.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #164
Clocker

Quote:

BTW Hamilton who actually put our financial system together favored tariffs, protective tariffs..
Hamilton was killed in a duel by Aaron Burr, a notorious free trader.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #165
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

We needed tighter gun control laws!