Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #1
mountainman

Mountainman vs Hospital Security Guard

Several weeks ago a toy cop screamed into my car and berated me for driving too slowly when directed to vacate the area as , unbeknownst to me, a helicopter angled in for a landing. That the chopper touched down 200 yards from my suv and I had already complied with his directions didn't matter. "Are you BLIND?", he yelled? "Don't you HEAR that chopper?", again, at the top of his lungs.

Tonight I spotted the prick, jumped out of my car, positioned myself at least 10 feet away and advised the guy in a level tone to never, ever scream at me again.

His responded by warning me to get out of his face and and leave the premises, or he would have me arrested for issuing "threats."

I say it was he who made the threat, an inappropriate one intended to intimidate me that implied more authority than he has and assumed a police decision by no means assured.

Either way, the dude tried twice to bully me, and I don't take that from anybody.

Please, fellow posters, sound in with an opinion: which of us was right? And which overstepped? Morally and legally.

I can take it.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Please, fellow posters, sound in with an opinion: which of us was right? And which overstepped? Morally and legally.

I can take it.
Never get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig. You get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
davew

What is a toy cop, were you driving on a helicopter landing pad, did the guy have a gun?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #4
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
What is a toy cop, were you driving on a helicopter landing pad, did the guy have a gun?
hospital security guard..i was on the small road that runs past the hospital entrance, 200 yards from the parking lot where the chopper landed...not sure if he had a gun.. I blank out when I'm angry..
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #5
davew

You seem like a big man (at least bigger than Nancy if I remember correctly)

Do it again with one of those body cameras or position a camera phone in such a way to get good video and get him riled up again. Send copies of the video to the Hospital administrators. Demand that he get fired or else you are going to send the videos to the local television stations, saying how you were bringing your very sick grandchild to the hospital and were verbally attacked by hospital security.

Helicopter pilots are not supposed to be blind and if they can accidentally hit a car 200 yards away, they can hit anything anywhere.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Calling him a toy cop and a prick in your post doesn't help your case.How much money do you think he makes? 40 years ago, I worked my way through college working for a security guard service and it was nights, weekends and holidays for minimum wage and no benefits.(Most places farm out their security guards.to private agencies) I was called micro cop, Deputy Dawg and most irritatingly an old Cheech and Chong sketch which involved an overzealous guard proclaiming"Hold-d -d-d it, security ", which I guess was considered "hilarious" by the Western New England College students (one of the company's contracts).After hearing it for the fifth time,I suggested the students get new material.I found out from that job that nobody likes being told what to do and unless you have arrest powers, no one is going to listen.Yet management in their pay-for-beer,demand-champagne always expected us to keep things under control.So maybe in the past, there was a problem with the helicopter and this guard didn't want a repeat of it and he has found that acting like a rectum opening is the only way some will comply.Or it could be that he is just a rectum opening.

Also, getting out of your car and making your statement may not rise to the level of a threat, but it was not an invitation to a kiss either.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Several weeks ago a toy cop screamed into my car and berated me for driving too slowly when directed to vacate the area as , unbeknownst to me, a helicopter angled in for a landing. That the chopper touched down 200 yards from my suv and I had already complied with his directions didn't matter. "Are you BLIND?", he yelled? "Don't you HEAR that chopper?", again, at the top of his lungs.

Tonight I spotted the prick, jumped out of my car, positioned myself at least 10 feet away and advised the guy in a level tone to never, ever scream at me again.

His responded by warning me to get out of his face and and leave the premises, or he would have me arrested for issuing "threats."

I say it was he who made the threat, an inappropriate one intended to intimidate me that implied more authority than he has and assumed a police decision by no means assured.

Either way, the dude tried twice to bully me, and I don't take that from anybody.

I can take it.
lots of people in society who are peons acting like someone important. I'm of the same cloth I see where you are coming from, I think though that there's a better way to cut him down to size without rolling around with a pig like was suggested in another post. That interaction can never end well, I think the key is to make it end well for you. I think the key would be to come up with something to say that makes him feel bad about himself while at the same time, not appearing that you said what you said to intentionally inflict emotional damage. Words hurt just as much as broken bones, the bones heal, but the words can't be 'unheard'
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 03:14 AM   #8
thaskalos

Seeing that choppers perform all sorts of emergency duties at hospitals, I would overlook this overstepping of authority from the security guard, Mountainman. Someone's life might have been at stake...and it's easy to overreact under that sort of pressure. The second altercation I would consider a wash...since the look on your face probably overshadowed the "calmness" of your words.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-24-2016 at 03:22 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #9
Richie

In my opinion, seeing him and getting out of your car to confront him after the fact and making a thinly veiled threat puts you in the wrong. What was the point? What was it going to accomplish? Sorry just my opinion
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #10
tucker6

First one is on him. The second on you. A better way to have handled it would have been a letter to hospital admin. You would have come across as more level-headed and aggrieved, and it would have entered the record in case he does it again. Who knows, a letter may have spurred them to give him more training to prevent it happening again.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #11
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Hmmmm...

How would Mike, from BB & BCS have handled it, as a Parking Garage attendant?

The guard could have ramped it up a touch at the time & you did so the second. The difference between a Parking Lot and a Hospital Pad is important, though.

Meh.

Last edited by Rookies; 03-24-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #12
Fager Fan
Veteran

I'd like to hear the other side of the story.

You're still so mad 3 weeks later that you confront him? You haven't in that time reconciled the fact that it was probably a lifeline helicopter trying to land and you were in an area deemed too close for a safe landing?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
barn32
tmrpots

I've gotten into my share of experiences with these "fake badge" people who seem to always be on a power trip and over abuse their authority. That being said, I've never won an argument with one-ever, so I've just learned to say, "Yes sir" and do whatever they want.

It makes life easier.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #14
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

I'm surprised he didn't ask you for "I.D."
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
First one is on him. The second on you. A better way to have handled it would have been a letter to hospital admin. You would have come across as more level-headed and aggrieved, and it would have entered the record in case he does it again. Who knows, a letter may have spurred them to give him more training to prevent it happening again.
Exactly the sensible way to handle it!
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply