Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
gm10

British trainers furious at closure of BC turf track

That is fairly scandalous. These horses travel across the ocean and then they can't even stretch their legs on the turf course two days before the race. I am sure that CD officials have a very nice explanation for it but it makes them look very small from this side of the pond.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...rs-cup/941866/
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Arrive earlier next year.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Arrive earlier next year.
Maybe the message is "don't bother".
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I have to side with the Euros on this.
They only wanted to get a few horses out there this morning...how much damage could they have done? Run 'em wide around the dogs.
If they are so concerned with the turf condition then why are they not OFF TURF today?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
I have to side with the Euros on this.
They only wanted to get a few horses out there this morning...how much damage could they have done? Run 'em wide around the dogs.
If they are so concerned with the turf condition then why are they not OFF TURF today?
I agree. The Brits have been nicer to us than we have to them. We should encourage the Brits to bring horses over the pond. It will improve the turf
racing in the breeders cup.

Last edited by maddog42; 11-03-2011 at 11:42 AM.
maddog42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Grits

Predicted rain for this afternoon and this evening may have some bearing on the decision.

Still, with this noted and from another standpoint--why wait late in the week of the BC to ship, when you know you've got to spend time in quarantine before you can step onto the track?

So, actually, whose problem is this, given all Euro shippers knew, and have always known, the protocol. Maybe its me, maybe I'm missing something.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
RaceBookJoe

its already started to rain here in Louisville...expecting anywhere from 1/4 - 1" of rain in the area. Wouldnt surprise me if they go off turf. I was backstretch this morning...brrrr, it was cold, especially coming from vegas Tons of horses on the main track, Gio Ponti and Tufflesburg? walked right past me. rbj
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

was this the first day they they could work??

if so:
2 days out seems like something was poorly planned.

they also have a custom of usually bringing a large group of horses together when working which could have added to the communication breakdown.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
That is fairly scandalous. These horses travel across the ocean and then they can't even stretch their legs on the turf course two days before the race. I am sure that CD officials have a very nice explanation for it but it makes them look very small from this side of the pond.

The Racing Post is running a story on Thursday of Breeder's Cup week detailing indignant Euro reaction to turf course conditions/management?

Never seen that one before.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Shelby

I think they are off turf except for the feature stakes race.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
olddaddy

I want to hear Freddie Heads take on this considering he has a horse in todays feature which is on the turf. I wonder how he would feel if the horses were allowed to work and the feature being taken off the grass, I bet you wont hear a word from Heads mouth.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
Shelby

I remember last year the European's were upset because the turf was too hard.

Now the rain has upset them again.

I wonder why they couldn't work them after the races are over for today?

I hate that there has to be this type of drama.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
I agree. The Brits have been nicer to us than we have to them. We should encourage the Brits to bring horses over the pond. It will improve the turf
racing in the breeders cup.
Let me clarify. One of my racing buddy's giving me a hard time about this. The decision to not let them work is not so bad, but the relations between Euros and America was shaky before this. I don't want it to deteriorate farther. There is a REASON some of the Euro horses are not coming over. I want to see Frankel and other great Euro horses. I am being selfish here I know, but as a fan we are getting dicked around enough by bureaucrats and Track management. This is supposed to be the World Championships and it is nowhere near that. I love the Breeders Cup. It is a much better day of racing than anything else in this country. I want the whole World to come over and bring there best horses. The last few years a lot of Euros have been bad-mouthing us, some justified and some not. I want to get along. And everything I have read says they treat us better than we do them.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
cj's dad

I seem to remember a time 8-10 years or so ago that the Euros would ship in and run at Belmont on JCGC day or what was once Breeders Cup Preview day and then ship from there. I guess the fragile nature of todays t'breds preclude them from running on Oct 1 and then again 34-35 days later.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10

Thanks for the link. Some other good reports on there.

I did notice Aidan O'Brien was not one of those complaining. Obviously, he's sent enough horses over here to know the protocols.

It does seem that CD could extend the dogs out quite a bit. We aren't talking about maiden claimers trying a new experiment.

I think their complaints are legitimate but one has to deal w/the cards they are dealt.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply