Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Horseplayersbet.com

Beyer: Ziadie's presence a new low for Maryland

"One statistic in particular suggests that Ziadie, 41, is either a cheater or an amazing horseman. Over the past five years, when Ziadie has claimed horses from other trainers, those acquisitions have won 47 percent of the time in their first start for the new barn. It is a mind-boggling number. Ziadie improves almost every horse he gets his hands on, and he improves upon the work of almost every other trainer."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012903992.html

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Beyer pulls no punches. Thanks for posting that.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Beyer pulls no punches. Thanks for posting that.

While everyone else seems to ignore the trainers (many of the "best" in the game) that have huge lists of violations but are never strongly punished, Beyer remains one of the few with the balls to comment on it and how it affects racing......
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

"When I claim a horse I usually don't run them back for three months. I clean them up, retrain them. These things don't happen overnight. And my horses last -- I've got plenty of 9- and 10-year-olds." -Kirk Ziadie

So he usually doesn't run them back for three months - gosh that's hard to fathom, but I'll take him at his word.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
kenwoodallpromos

Not crying

I'm not crying over CD troubles; I just wish Beyer and others known throughout racing would stump more for use of "decree" and for denying stalls.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
Ejmenz

I'm not naive, he's doing something most likely that is not within the rules.

But I have real problems with race tracks determining due process is to arduous so they just exercise their rights to exclude trainers of their choice.

Fix the system, don't abandon it.
Ejmenz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
letswastemoney

I wasn't aware of this angle....I should put money on his horses lol
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #8
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Laurel right now is the bottom feeder of the Northeastern tracks (Suffolk is closed during the winter); the cripples that Penn National and Charles Town used to get now go to Laurel due to its lower purse structure. It's pretty safe to say, with the slots debacle and all, that Maryland racing is finished.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Andrew Beyer, Judge/Jury/Executioner/All around knower of all things except that horses aren't motorcycles.

"In race after race, he turned the art of handicapping into an exercise in guessing..."
Since when has the art/science of handicapping been anything else? More priceless babble from the inventor of track propulsion.

jdl
jonnielu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
Bobby Seller

"The track, owned by Churchill Downs Inc., had a reason for not charging him with anything. If it accused Ziadie of a specific offense, the case could drag through racing's legal system for years."

Nonsense

Why should an exclusion by decree, and a separate, officially unrelated investigation be mutually exclusive??
Bobby Seller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Trotman
Veteran

IMO I'm all for tracks enforcing their property rights and police who they allow to race,it's not perfect but it's a start.
I also think any trainer with a positive should race horses with a probationary license and run out of a 72 hour retention barn with supervised exercise just like a prison.
Some may say how unfair to the horse which is true,but for the trainers that have been charged with multiple positives this might be just right for the horse first time in a long time running clean.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejmenz
I'm not naive, he's doing something most likely that is not within the rules.

But I have real problems with race tracks determining due process is to arduous so they just exercise their rights to exclude trainers of their choice.

Fix the system, don't abandon it.
He had 13 medication violations on his record between 2004 and 2009, according to the Beyer article. The Miami papers also carried an article on Mr. Ziadie when he was ejected from Calder, containing similar numbers. Therefore, I think it is established that Mr. Ziadie has a pattern of medication violations. So one day Calder management decided, "you know what we've had enough of this guy (and his 13 medication violations) and we're kicking him out." He had a chance to appeal everyone of those medication violations, correct? There's no lack of due process here. To argue otherwise, you're arguing 13 medication violations just don't merit track management taking action.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
He had 13 medication violations on his record between 2004 and 2009, according to the Beyer article. The Miami papers also carried an article on Mr. Ziadie when he was ejected from Calder, containing similar numbers. Therefore, I think it is established that Mr. Ziadie has a pattern of medication violations. So one day Calder management decided, "you know what we've had enough of this guy (and his 13 medication violations) and we're kicking him out." He had a chance to appeal everyone of those medication violations, correct? There's no lack of due process here. To argue otherwise, you're arguing 13 medication violations just don't merit track management taking action.
Here are the violations: http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/zi...ions-on-chaos/

Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Thanks for that link. I remember seeing that in the Paulick report when it was published. Here's a good one.

Trainer Kirk Ziadie, DOb 8/22/68, having waived his right to a hearing, is fined the sum of five hundred ($500.00) dollars for entering the horse “STEELIX”, which was on the Vets List at Saratoga, necessistating a scratch from the eighth race at Delaware Park on Sunday, July 27, 2008. Refer to D.T.R.C Rules 3.4; and 10.8.1.2. Fine to be paid within 48 hours. Ruling 70-2008

I'm sure this was a mere oversight.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Thanks for that link. I remember seeing that in the Paulick report when it was published. Here's a good one.

Trainer Kirk Ziadie, DOb 8/22/68, having waived his right to a hearing, is fined the sum of five hundred ($500.00) dollars for entering the horse “STEELIX”, which was on the Vets List at Saratoga, necessistating a scratch from the eighth race at Delaware Park on Sunday, July 27, 2008. Refer to D.T.R.C Rules 3.4; and 10.8.1.2. Fine to be paid within 48 hours. Ruling 70-2008

I'm sure this was a mere oversight.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic. I've seen a few trainers enter horses in other jurisdictions hoping to have the entry get by. Usually happens with low level claimers.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: