Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #31
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Link? I miss EMD4ME...and I don't know how to look him up myself.
Setting aside whether the horse was stiffed (which I don't believe), imo in general he's a very sharp race observer and trip handicapper. I've learned a few subtle things just from reading his Twitter feed. Personally, I wish he still posted here and got involved in some of the trip discussions.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Agree - you should tweet that out!

BUT, some people have been able to use it effectively - CJ for one, Andy for another....I follow a lot of horse people but essentially no one else. Steve Byk, for sure.

Only as good as the fingers keying in the tweets.
It is all in how you use it. The mute and block functions make it tolerable for me. I try not to deal with people I don't know or that don't use their real name. That keeps you out of most of the slime.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #33
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Agree - you should tweet that out!

BUT, some people have been able to use it effectively - CJ for one, Andy for another....I follow a lot of horse people but essentially no one else. Steve Byk, for sure.

Only as good as the fingers keying in the tweets.

I think I use it effectively, and not just for racing picks.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #34
classhandicapper

Twitter was way better before all the passionate politics infiltrated a few years ago.

I used to follow quite a few media guys whose opinion on basketball I respect and who would often break news about their local teams. Then they started tweeting, retweeting, and liking endless articles and headlines about politics that I didn't want all over my timeline. When I want politics, I go to a few sources I trust for that. I don't want my politics guys giving me their opinion on basketball either.

I have to admit, I'm guilty of tweeting off topic things myself. I tweet a lot of things about the virus that some horseplayers probably find annoying. But I make an effort to keep it somewhat limited. In the end I had to stop following basketball on Twitter just to avoid politics.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Twitter was way better before all the passionate politics infiltrated a few years ago.

I used to follow quite a few media guys whose opinion on basketball I respect and who would often break news about their local teams. Then they started tweeting, retweeting, and liking endless articles and headlines about politics that I didn't want all over my timeline. When I want politics, I go to a few sources I trust for that. I don't want my politics guys giving me their opinion on basketball either.

I have to admit, I'm guilty of tweeting off topic things myself. I tweet a lot of things about the virus that some horseplayers probably find annoying. But I make an effort to keep it somewhat limited. In the end I had to stop following basketball on Twitter just to avoid politics.
I forgot one of the very best tools for people you otherwise like..."Turn off retweets". It has saved me from muting or blocking plenty people. Muting tweets with specified words (example, "Trump") works well too. I don't care enough about politics to want to see that stuff on Twitter.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #36
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I forgot one of the very best tools for people you otherwise like..."Turn off retweets". It has saved me from muting or blocking plenty people. Muting tweets with specified words (example, "Trump") works well too. I don't care enough about politics to want to see that stuff on Twitter.
I just discovered the retweet option and started using it.

The one that's annoying me now is seeing what other people "liked". I wish I could block some of those. Sometimes I "like" things because I want to tell the person I agree with them or think it was a very insightful tweet. Sometimes I want to mark it so I can find it again. But I don't want everyone's "likes" all over my timeline. I may have to use those word blocks more liberally.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I just discovered the retweet option and started using it.

The one that's annoying me now is seeing what other people "liked". I wish I could block some of those. Sometimes I "like" things because I want to tell the person I agree with them or think it was a very insightful tweet. Sometimes I want to mark it so I can find it again. But I don't want everyone's "likes" all over my timeline. I may have to use those word blocks more liberally.
Yep, still trying to figure that one out.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #38
CaptainObvious

If this was the UFC, Irad’s horse would have tapped out from that chokehold.

Horses rarely respond after being wrangled like that. Might as well let them run.
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #39
Kitan

It’s not a matter of whether or not the race was fixed, rather racing integrity. Absolutely the jockey and trainer should be questioned re tactics because there’s no way that ride put the horse in best position to win. Is there no rule about this anywhere in USA, similar to Australia and Hong Kong: “the jockey of every horse shall take all reasonable and permissible measures throughout the race to ensure that his horse is given a full opportunity to win or to obtain the best possible placing in the field”? The leading Australian jockey just got suspended 3 weeks for a half-hearted ride, but I doubt this even gets questioned...
Kitan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #40
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitan View Post
It’s not a matter of whether or not the race was fixed, rather racing integrity. Absolutely the jockey and trainer should be questioned re tactics because there’s no way that ride put the horse in best position to win. Is there no rule about this anywhere in USA, similar to Australia and Hong Kong: “the jockey of every horse shall take all reasonable and permissible measures throughout the race to ensure that his horse is given a full opportunity to win or to obtain the best possible placing in the field”? The leading Australian jockey just got suspended 3 weeks for a half-hearted ride, but I doubt this even gets questioned...
The rule here reads must give a full effort to gain the best possible placing. Nothing about tactics/strategy, which I agree with. Just effort.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #41
Robert Fischer
clean money

Smile 'blooper'

Past performances say the horse tends to 'pull'.
I haven't handicapped that horse, or race, as in depth as several of the previous posters ITT.

Horse inherited a DREAM position after the break, and Irad had an honest-to-goodness 'blooper'.

Normally a jock who is such a great handler of the horse that he can be 'push-button' with a horse. He saw the favorite (Mentality?) decide to keep the pace honest after the break, and Irad tapped on the breaks, and the horse got a bit rank/uncomfortable.
Fair to say that through instructions/experience Irad had committed to getting the horse to rate, and missed a window of opportunity to get the horse to thrive in spite of the issue. Just control great position, and you didn't have to wrestle the horse.

Like someone said; "LeBron has the low points/rebs foul-out games". Good, honest efforts f*-up sometimes.

That does little to soothe bettors who rolled the dice on THIS outcome.

Irad is arguably the top all-around jockey in the game. Personally feel like his ability does stand out more on the turf, because of how well he handles it, compared to most rivals. He's also tough on the lead. My opinion here is that he had committed to riding a certain way, and failed to adjust to fortuitous randomness.

EMD4ME is a character, I have also followed/dm'd him

Created a new twitter account(as well as ig/apple/spotify/etc), about a month ago to assist w/ a podcast. Keeping my Twitter lean, and politically free. Horse racing stuff. @jason_kassa

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: