Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #16
v j stauffer

It won't be racing from the Mountain without you and Nancy. Nancy Holthus and I make it work. Hopefully you and Nancy will too. Wouldn't be even a little bit interested in betting without hearing what the two of you have to say. Must see TV to get me.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
Boomer

Sat it ain't so Mark!

There are three things that make Mountaineer. Mark, Nancy and Peter.

You and Nancy are the only analysts at and track I listen to regularly. And it is because of your honesty and integrity and the chemistry. Mountaineer is and has been very lucky they have not lost Peter to a major league track.

You guys are Mountaineer. It certainly is not the horses.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #18
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
It won't be racing from the Mountain without you and Nancy. Nancy Holthus and I make it work. Hopefully you and Nancy will too. Wouldn't be even a little bit interested in betting without hearing what the two of you have to say. Must see TV to get me.
Tx, and much respect. There has always been a very vocal faction at mnr that pushes relentlessly for a fluff show that praises every horse and human in sight, Vic.

For a show not hosted by an edgy, unpredictable, stone cold expert who pitches to serious handicappers.

And that relentless faction wants a more likeable host possessing no more knowledge than they do. A host who assuages their egos by falling a bit short of genuine expertise.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #19
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Sat it ain't so Mark!

You and Nancy are the only analysts at and track I listen to regularly. And it is because of your honesty and integrity and the chemistry. Mountaineer is and has been very lucky they have not lost Peter to a major league track.

Thanks for the kind words, Boomer. Mark is a brilliant TV analyst and always shoots from the hip, while Nancy is the perfect sounding board and brings peace, tranquility and a trainer's perspective to the broadcast. Their task is more difficult than mine - I just spit out words and hope they make sense.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #20
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Sat it ain't so Mark!

Tx, sir. I think you will see an improved product from new ownership. They seem committed.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #21
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Tx, and much respect. There has always been a very vocal faction at mnr that pushes relentlessly for a fluff show that praises every horse and human in sight, Vic.

For a show not hosted by an edgy, unpredictable, stone cold expert who pitches to serious handicappers.

And that relentless faction wants a more likeable host possessing no more knowledge than they do. A host who assuages their egos by falling a bit short of genuine expertise.
A likeable host? Doubt I'd fit in.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #22
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Boomer. Mark is a brilliant TV analyst and always shoots from the hip, while Nancy is the perfect sounding board and brings peace, tranquility and a trainer's perspective to the broadcast. Their task is more difficult than mine - I just spit out words and hope they make sense.
You're a world-class caller, Pete. And incredibly unique. New ownership is so fortunate to have you. If I were management, I would retain you at all costs.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #23
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
A likeable host? Doubt I'd fit in.
That would make "likeability" the ONLY thing not on your resume.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #24
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
You're a world-class caller, Pete. And incredibly unique. New ownership is so fortunate to have you. If I were management, I would retain you at all costs.
Wait ... have you heard something to the contrary?
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #25
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Wait ... have you heard something to the contrary?
NO..quite the opposite. I would bet my life you have a future at mnr.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-03-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #26
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Peter gets some work under his belly
Old 05-03-2020, 11:47 PM   #27
paddy79

im looking forward to hearing "he's gone off like a scalded cat"
paddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #28
rrpic6

It would be huge mistake if the Mark and Nancy show ended. Captive at home audiences are really pumping money thru ADW's these days. Did you see that handle on Saturday from Oaklawn? Plenty of time to brainstorm ideas to resume the show, whether it's on-site or from someone's basement or den.

RR
Old 05-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Why are people thinking the show would be ending? Sounded like it was just during these strange times when there would be no crowd allowed.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #30
spang99

As somebody that has both attended and wagered a plenty on MTN since back when it was Waterford Park, I'm extremely happy to hear that racing is set to resume. I do agree with the majority here though. For sure it will be a "glass half full" situation until the true simulcast show returns. The 3 faces, well, the 2 faces and Pete's voice, of MTN are special and irreplaceable. Simply put, It all just clicks and I'll look forward to seeing you all reuniting.
spang99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: