Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
He is 2-49 in Triple Crown races overall. In the last five years, he has had ONE horse win a Grade I as a 2YO and then another as a 3YO while under his care. That was Devil May Care, who unfortunately died of a mysterious liver ailment just months later.

He has had ONE 4YO win a Grade I who won one as a 3YO in the last five years. That was Stay Thirsty, who scored in the Cigar Mile by a desperate nose last November.

In his entire history of training, Pletcher has 3 wins in BC races with horses 3YO and up and only two older horses. The funny thing is one of those horses (Speightstown) wasn't in his care until his 5YO season.

How about some of his impressive 2YO debut winners at Saratoga that ended up completely falling apart? Skylord, Archwarrior, Micromanage, Unabashed, Tap For Luck, Captain Webb, HUnt Crossing, Crazy Party, Curlinello, Summer Laugh, Slamarama, Excited. They all ended up injured or completely ineffective. I excluded Giant Surprise, who ran once and subsequently broke down.

There are a whole pile of them from Gulfstream as well. It's really uncanny.
That really is "unfortunate".
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Good stuff

Amazing to see it in writing.

Quote:
He is 2-49 in Triple Crown races overall. In the last five years, he has had ONE horse win a Grade I as a 2YO and then another as a 3YO while under his care. That was Devil May Care, who unfortunately died of a mysterious liver ailment just months later.

He has had ONE 4YO win a Grade I who won one as a 3YO in the last five years. That was Stay Thirsty, who scored in the Cigar Mile by a desperate nose last November.

In his entire history of training, Pletcher has 3 wins in BC races with horses 3YO and up and only two older horses. The funny thing is one of those horses (Speightstown) wasn't in his care until his 5YO season.

How about some of his impressive 2YO debut winners at Saratoga that ended up completely falling apart? Skylord, Archwarrior, Micromanage, Unabashed, Tap For Luck, Captain Webb, HUnt Crossing, Crazy Party, Curlinello, Summer Laugh, Slamarama, Excited. They all ended up injured or completely ineffective. I excluded Giant Surprise, who ran once and subsequently broke down.

There are a whole pile of them from Gulfstream as well. It's really uncanny. In the last five years at Gulfstream, PLetcher is 32% with a $1.88 ROI in graded stakes races. Everywhere else? A whopping 18% with a $1.51 ROI.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
nijinski

Quote:

There are a whole pile of them from Gulfstream as well. It's really uncanny. In the last five years at Gulfstream, PLetcher is 32% with a $1.88 ROI in graded stakes races. Everywhere else? A whopping 18% with a $1.51 ROI.
Devil May Care was confirmed as having Cancer of the Lymph System .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
precocity
Veteran

Devil May Care remember that story strange.
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
EJXD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Ever notice his young horses seem to vanish into oblivion after Todd tells a few falsehoods about future plans? Who was the horse from last year that was being pointed to the Donn, then nothing? El Padrino, yeah, that is him.

He did manage to keep Flower Alley together through the BC one year, but that horse came back as a shell of his former self and didn't even have a reported injury.
Sorry for the cut & paste, but Thoroughbred Times' content is gone, and the only way to access it is via cached pages, but this is pertinent to CJ's comment:

Breeding industry affects top level of racing Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Do not expect a Triple Crown winner to race past the Belmont Stakes (G1), said Eclipse Award-winning trainer Todd Pletcher and Hollywood Park Racing Secretary Martin Panza said Tuesday during the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program's Symposium on Racing and Gaming.

"It'd be great to see a Triple Crown winner, but he wouldn't run after unless he were a gelding," Pletcher said Tuesday during the "Conditions and Conditioners" panel. "That's just the way it is."

"If a horse won the Triple Crown, then how could an owner run him again? He'd be offered $150-million the next day," Panza said. "Why would you run? You can't put a salary cap on the Keeneland sale. There's more money there."

Pletcher said that 2005 Travers Stakes (G1) winner and Breeders' Cup

Classic Powered by Dodge (G1) runner-up Flower Alley lost about 50% of his value when he returned at four and only won the Salvatore Mile Stakes (G3) before finishing unplaced in three Grade 1 races.

"[Flower Alley's owner] Eugene Melnyk is a sportsman and wanted to keep his horse in training, but it didn't work out," Pletcher said. "Flower Alley was worth between $12-million and $14-million after the Breeders' Cup last year, and he was only worth between $6-million and $8-million this year."

Flower Alley will enter stud next year at Three Chimneys, which also stands 2000 Breeders' Cup Mile (G1) winner War Chant. Panza said that trainer Neil Drysdale wanted to run War Chant after the Breeders' Cup in the Hollywood Derby (G1).

"The farm told him no because it would not increase [War Chant's] value if he won," Panza said.

"I know we want to see more starts out of our stars, but I won't tell owners what to do with their horses," Pletcher said. "If they're in a so-called home run situation, then you can't blame them for wanting to make money."

Another aspect of the industry that gets related back to breeders is that most horses make fewer starts at all levels of the sport, but Pletcher was hesitant to attribute that statistic to fragility.

"Horses consistently perform better with more time between races," Pletcher said. "It seemed like a big deal when Invasor (Arg) missed the Jockey Club Gold Cup (G1), but you could argue that he wouldn't have won the Breeders' Cup [Classic] if he had run too hard in the Gold Cup. There's a perceived fragility issue, but I just think horses run harder now than before to win races."

Pletcher said that he trains 205 horses in three different areas of the country for about 100 owners.—Ed DeRosa
EJXD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
brivolta

Not offering an opinion on Pletcher one way or the other. But with 20 horse fields the KY Derby is more or less a crap shoot. To use that race as a bench mark for a trainer's success seems like a bad idea to me.
brivolta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
BIG49010

I am not sure how you would attempt to find the statistics, but I am pretty sure that if you reviewed all the horses that achieved a Beyer for lack of another number of say 90 in their maiden debut, that never race again.

I think whatever metric you choose, the faster they run, the more likely they get injured. I think this would apply to Bafford, Lukas, Chad Brown, Zito, you add the name, when it comes to the fastest horses in training it's a tough job.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
I am not sure how you would attempt to find the statistics, but I am pretty sure that if you reviewed all the horses that achieved a Beyer for lack of another number of say 90 in their maiden debut, that never race again.

I think whatever metric you choose, the faster they run, the more likely they get injured. I think this would apply to Bafford, Lukas, Chad Brown, Zito, you add the name, when it comes to the fastest horses in training it's a tough job.
Personally, I think it has something to do with how quickly you bring them to their peak.

When they come out running extremely fast Beyers (1st couple of starts), they often go backwards quickly, get hurt, or never make it back to the races.

But if they come out just a little faster than PAR and are running those really faster figures a little later, they seem to do better.

Perhaps getting them too sharp via workouts and then running really hard right out of the box does not give them the foundation they need or perhaps the hard workouts themselves are an incremental problem.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJXD2

"Horses consistently perform better with more time between races," Pletcher said.
I'm going to disagree with him.

I don't think they run consistently better.

I think they last longer and their performances are more consistent.

I'm going to assume that almost all horses have minor issues. So if you give them more time between races you are giving them a chance to recover from those minor issues that might otherwise snowball into something more serious if you run every two weeks. You see that in professional sports also.

But I'm not entirely sure it's better to rest them from an economic perspective. You are potentially leaving a lot money on the table not running a horse that's sharp and good enough to win now by waiting an extra 3 weeks. He could easily be a horse that will hold up or even thrive with more work and earn a lot more money or get that big Graded win if he ran.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
does Pletcher train any horses older than 3?
C'mon , Where was everyone when English Channel campaigned .

I can't believe such a lousy trainer can rack up as many awards as Pletcher has .
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Personally, I think it has something to do with how quickly you bring them to their peak.

When they come out running extremely fast Beyers (1st couple of starts), they often go backwards quickly, get hurt, or never make it back to the races.

But if they come out just a little faster than PAR and are running those really faster figures a little later, they seem to do better.

Perhaps getting them too sharp via workouts and then running really hard right out of the box does not give them the foundation they need or perhaps the hard workouts themselves are an incremental problem.
You might want to re-think this, ClassH, because I agree with you.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
turninforhome10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
C'mon , Where was everyone when English Channel campaigned .

I can't believe such a lousy trainer can rack up as many awards as Pletcher has .
I fondly remember Balto Star who would sizzle in the Derby and go on to win the United Nations.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by turninforhome10
I fondly remember Balto Star who would sizzle in the Derby and go on to win the United Nations.
Thank You !
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by turninforhome10
How could we forget? It was only 10 years ago.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
turninforhome10

Quote:
How could we forget? It was only 10 years ago.
Not sure if that was sarcasm, but I remember it for the following reasons:
1) The horse cut ridiculous fractions and while he did fade Monarchos was just 2 ticks off of the fastest Derby
2) The horse would go on as a 4yo to win the Man O war at 11 fur and then at 5 the United Nations. Two races that are key races for stayers
3) The horse was bred to be sprinter being by Glitterman and the damsire Devil's Bag was known for precocious types that most did not see 4 except maybe Devil His Due.
All bashing of Todd Pletcher aside that IMHO was a pretty stout job of training.
The other thing that I will say for Todd are that his clientele as with a great many owners on the Triple Crown today are already deeply invested in these horses as babies and the pressure to perform as a 3yo are squarely on his shoulders. It is a market pressure. Win a big race, make a stallion resume, send them into syndication. Owners are making money on selling seasons and shares. This is a market pressure. Would things be different if the owners did not have to pay 5 figures in insurance every time a 3yo with a proven stallion resume runs to make the crowd happy? The assumed risk of paying 300k for a young horse puts pressure on the trainer to perform. What about all those trainers that we see that they have a nice 2yo and by the time the 3yo races roll around they have 15 starts with no break and breakdown due to greed. See those types too, i.e. Barry Roses horse in the FOY last Saturday.

Last edited by turninforhome10; 02-27-2013 at 10:15 PM.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: