Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
NY BRED
GARY

Irad Ortiz

I would believe many of the members of this group would agree there are multiple ways to lose a bet ,despite betting a tbred with the best speedand pace #.s, trainer, Jckey and/or triner-jockey and on and on..

One of my favorite angles is to bet against Irad,as he genrally gets the best mounts from the best trainers ,and generally owners; I actually favor
Jose Oritiz ,generally not as aggressive as Irad.

I have been a fan of thoroughbred racing for thirty years, pretty much seen it all. including being an owner and Breeder.

Having the best horse in the race, regardless of speed/pace/ trainer/ jockey post position or surface doesn't necessarily guaranty winning the race or even finishing in the money;ask me(or many of you) how we know.

That said, check Irad's ride in the Manhattan ; this jockey is undoubtedly a multi millionaire by now, and incredibly manages to hit the board in
despite, sometimes, being in apparently hopeless situations.

Having the best horse in the race, regardless of the factors involves the trip and
the courage to overcome almost impossible situations to even hit the board.

That happened yesterday, I am now a fan of both Ortiz Brothers..
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED View Post
I would believe many of the members of this group would agree there are multiple ways to lose a bet ,despite betting a tbred with the best speedand pace #.s, trainer, Jckey and/or triner-jockey and on and on..

One of my favorite angles is to bet against Irad,as he genrally gets the best mounts from the best trainers ,and generally owners; I actually favor
Jose Oritiz ,generally not as aggressive as Irad.

I have been a fan of thoroughbred racing for thirty years, pretty much seen it all. including being an owner and Breeder.

Having the best horse in the race, regardless of speed/pace/ trainer/ jockey post position or surface doesn't necessarily guaranty winning the race or even finishing in the money;ask me(or many of you) how we know.

That said, check Irad's ride in the Manhattan ; this jockey is undoubtedly a multi millionaire by now, and incredibly manages to hit the board in
despite, sometimes, being in apparently hopeless situations.

Having the best horse in the race, regardless of the factors involves the trip and
the courage to overcome almost impossible situations to even hit the board.

That happened yesterday, I am now a fan of both Ortiz Brothers..
I love how he does anything to win. Reminds me of Pval in his prime. He may put you over the fence if he has to but he is going to find a way.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Appy

Seems that Jr is too often favored at very low odds. I prefer to bet him in certain situations where he is not one of the favorites. He manages to pull wins out at surprisingly high odds as, or more, often than most.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
dryrunguy

(Hi, everyone. I am brand new here and fairly new to thoroughbred racing, but my account was just approved today, and I am also very anxious to learn from all of you. I was not able to find a thread for new people to introduce themselves.)

My wagering experience is fairly limited--I have only been betting since last fall. But generally, what I do with Irad, especially when he's racing on turf, depends largely on what I'm betting. For example, I am hard-pressed to leave a horse ridden by Irad on turf off my ticket for a sequential wager. More often than not, you have to include him. Maybe even single him, especially when he is on a Chad Brown horse.

But if I am looking for a win bet, even on turf, he can be beat every now and then. It just depends on the circumstances. I am far more likely to bet against him on dirt.
dryrunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
(Hi, everyone. I am brand new here and fairly new to thoroughbred racing, but my account was just approved today, and I am also very anxious to learn from all of you. I was not able to find a thread for new people to introduce themselves.)

My wagering experience is fairly limited--I have only been betting since last fall. But generally, what I do with Irad, especially when he's racing on turf, depends largely on what I'm betting. For example, I am hard-pressed to leave a horse ridden by Irad on turf off my ticket for a sequential wager. More often than not, you have to include him. Maybe even single him, especially when he is on a Chad Brown horse.

But if I am looking for a win bet, even on turf, he can be beat every now and then. It just depends on the circumstances. I am far more likely to bet against him on dirt.
Good luck on your horse racing journey.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
burnsy
self medicated

He’s on top of the hill in NY. Gotta respect. But I actually like how his brother rides the grass courses. And he wins his fair share with less to work with as stated. I look at both cause I play exactas. A good look for Jose once Toga opens is a horse he’s never rode on the grass and he gets on. Many times that horse will outrun its odds . Playing exactas sometimes second is as good as a win with the right price.

Last edited by burnsy; 07-08-2020 at 08:56 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post

Welcome, I've hunted for years in your neck of the woods. We have a cabin over in State Game lands #121 close to New Grenada. Lots of great info to be had on Pace Advantage.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
Waquoit

Irad kills me. I'm on him he loses, I'm not on him, he's brilliant. He's been killing me since he got DQ'd on Magna Light. But I've been reviewing last year's 5.5F turf races from the Spa. I think I just might bet him blind in those races this year.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #9
burnsy
self medicated

Yeah , yeah. He’s good , gets a lot of Cadillacs...... but like I posted earlier in this thread. How’s his brother doing ?
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Yeah , yeah. He’s good , gets a lot of Cadillacs...... but like I posted earlier in this thread. How’s his brother doing ?
Burnsy, i've been having this argument for awhile with some of my buddies. Have always thought Jose was the better rider. Just as talented but more cerebral. Cant remember the time I saw Irad bring in a 40.00 dollar horse like Jose did yesterday, following that up with another nice price later on, Love catching him on a horse for the first time in the right scenario.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
RunForTheRoses

17/1 Race 9 Toga. Might have been a sheet play? I sure didn't have.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #12
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2 View Post
Cant remember the time I saw Irad bring in a 40.00 dollar horse like Jose did yesterday, .

No sooner do I say something stupid like this, Irad boots home a 38.00 winner in the 9th at saratoga.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I was just reading this thread about 10 minutes to post time.
I see Irad going off big, so I threw in a $2 win ticket along with my regular bet.

More BEER tonight!
Old 07-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #14
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
17/1 Race 9 Toga. Might have been a sheet play? I sure didn't have.
I had the horse ranked #2 behind the . So my P4 is still kicking.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #15
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I had the horse ranked #2 behind the . So my P4 is still kicking.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: