Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #5806
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Lots of people losing businesses and they are starting to be pretty vocal here in Houston.

On a conference call this morn heard about a proposed aid package for restaurants. Long way off, but on the table
Old 06-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #5807
lamboguy

in boston there are more restaurants closed than open, and most of the ones open are having their problems.

people don't want to eat inside right now. it may be 10 years before they eat inside.

hotels are closing left and right.

we are in a depression worse than 1929, the only thing holding it up so far are the handouts from the government. and i don't think its working that well, i hope i am wrong.

we are going to have to beat the virus, then bring all industry back to this country that went overseas. the government will be taxing robots that replace humans at some point. there are going to be driverless trucks and cars coming soon (within 10 years).
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 PM   #5808
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Absurd article.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #5809
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
people don't want to eat inside right now. it may be 10 years before they eat inside.
I don't agree entirely.

Gov Abbott is not doing this corrrectly.

Rafting and tubing businesses? what?

There are many responsible restaurants and bars as well as stores here, and I'm sure in TX. Some like never went to full capacity in the first place, choosing to keep things at 50% in return for more customer trust.

Unfortunately as usual, some ruin it for others by going whole hog instead like some of those bars. It is entirely possible to sit at tables with a group of friends, and even in small "trusted groups" at bar, if properly distanced from other groups.

There are a few places I trust to shop and eat and while they can't pack the place like usual they are staying open and surviving for now. It's all about showing your customers they can trust you, IMHO.

If your eatery or bar has employees who come down with covid-19, thats not good.......but if you have really good trust relationship with your consumers, then you close temporarily (like 1 week or so), get your employees tested, have the place properly disinfected/professionally cleaned, then re-open following CDC guidelines on proper protocol and safety measures so that customers feel safe eating and drinking there.

I don't think restaurants have a *requirement* to report, but the honest ones do.

If you don't report, then somebody somewhere finds out anyway......a major chain just got outed on FB up north of here.....and they should have just told everybody that they had employees who were positive and done what was needed and be back on their feet. Instead now nobody "trusts" them to be honest.

Most all the problems I have seen so far is with those not following reasonable precautions and they have ruined it for everyone. I just talked to waiters at Oaklawn. People are going. They have taken all the precautions the governor suggested, and following them. They are trusted to do the right thing, and I believe they are.

They are NOT having new years eve style bar parties in there.

But when people gather by the 100s and act like masking wearing and social distancing is too much for them to do to protect others and their communities, then you get the bad reputation that is, IMHO, deserved. It's really not that hard. But they are certainly hurting their local economies. Hope they are proud of that.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-01-2020 at 12:39 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #5810
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Lots of people losing businesses and they are starting to be pretty vocal here in Houston.
They should be vocal about the scofflaw businesses ruining it for everyone.

Sort of like how horse racing derives it's bad reputation (undersevedly) because we allow the cheaters to go un-noted and nobody will put pressure on trainers who they know are cheating, including other trainers at the same track wheree veryone "knows the score."

Then when the cheaters get caught by the feds, the customers walk away with their money and go elsewhere.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #5811
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Got a call today from one of my best young employees. Her mother tested positive (she lives at home w mom n dad) after being tested with some co workers at her office. Very light symptoms and a fever of 100.

I ordered my employee to stay home for the next 14 days. So far we have had no positives.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 AM   #5812
TJDave

Quote:
Got a call today from one of my best young employees. Her mother tested positive (she lives at home w mom n dad) after being tested with some co workers at her office. Very light symptoms and a fever of 100.

I ordered my employee to stay home for the next 14 days. So far we have had no positives.
Are you required to test your employees when one has been exposed, as above?
Old 07-01-2020, 01:59 AM   #5813
clicknow

Quote:
So far we have had no positives.
Not at all surprising. You have done things right---- all along.

Unfortunately others are not. And Abbott is doing things wrong, painting with too broad a brush. Probably out of panic. Or not enough resources to fully explore the communties.

Case in point: One bar owner had moved his bar outdoors, AND kept to 50% occupancy the whole time since lockdowns were lifted....the ABC made numerous surprise visits and he was always in compliance.

Yet, now, he is still gonna be shut down. Because Abbott lumped everyone in together, instead of going by TABC inspections that were made and taking away licenses of the bad actors.

Cuz I'm sure EVERYONE in the community knows, as well as the TABC, in cities and towns across TX, who the scofflaws have been....the bars and nightclubs who ignored capacity guidelines, ect.

Maybe the bad actors are paying off somebody?

Sort of like everyone at LAD knows who sends horses to the kill pens with their racing plates still on fresh from their last race hours ago.

Get rid of the bad actors. Let people who run their businesses properly alone. But this is always the case, regardless of what business sector you're in. The bad guys ruin it for everyone else. What else is new????
Old 07-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #5814
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Maybe the bad actors are paying off somebody?
Careful now...don't want you to be labeled a tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracy nut...like me.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:49 AM   #5815
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Are you required to test your employees when one has been exposed, as above?
I don't think that is doable, in reality. Here is my thinking:

1) What is the meaning of "exposed"?

Trump and white house people probably get tested daily, bi weekly, etc.

For the rest of us, unless we were locked down in a vault, could come under the heading of "exposed".

I ate outside at dunkin donuts today, then went grocery shopping. I may be "exposed" now. How would I know?

2) Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
1 employee's mom tests positive. So you test your entire staff and quarantine said employee.
5 days later, another employee w/a 2nd job who works with 100 people in a large grocery store and 1 of her coworkers at grocery store tests positive.
Now you gotta test your whole staff again??

In TX some people are waiting 5+ hours in car lines for tests. Austin, Dallas, Houston. This is what happens in places where there are spikes.

So----I can't see this working in reality? You end up in a situation where you have to test your entire staff weekly, AT LEAST?

Would be great if it were, i.e. Rapid Tests were plentiful (and cheap) and could be self-administered, and every business could order boxes full for their storerooms.

But THAT'S NOT THE SITUATION.

So, basic practice is keep testing as many in population as humanly possible, contact trace, quarantine, practice CDC guidelines flawlessly.

Only excpetion to that for me: no worker walks into my 92 year old mom's house unless they rapid test (takes 15 min) And they better be wearing full PPE as well. She is high risk but worth the extra trouble. to me.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-01-2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:09 AM   #5816
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

In TX some people are waiting 5+ hours in car lines for tests. Austin, Dallas, Houston. This is what happens in places where there are spikes.

Would be great if it were, i.e. Rapid Tests were plentiful (and cheap) and could be self-administered, and every business could order boxes full for their storerooms.

But THAT'S NOT THE SITUATION.
First time I tested it took maybe 30 minutes (Dallas). 2nd time I was in and out (Rockwall county)

Don't believe everything you read. Tonight on ch4 news they posted a graph of the daily c19 cases, deaths etc. It read that Dallas & Tarrant counties had more deaths from c19 than the # Texas posted statewide, total. Mathematically impossible

The #s are all over the place.

One thing here that's great news is the fatality rate of the virus hasn't gone up at the rate of positive cases. Either the virus is weakening or it's something we're just experiencing here.

It's not all gloom and doom, and Abbott is doing just fine. Maybe over reaching if anything but it's easy to criticize leaders.... Isn't it?

I'll be in east Texas w/ the wife all day tomorrow. We're putting a bid on another home (and looking at another, that one's in Marshall), this is a great buying opportunity here right now (TX). This should last another 18 months. Look at things on the bright side!
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 07-01-2020 at 03:11 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #5817
46zilzal
velocitician

Cases up dramatically, hospitalizations way up over-burdening the ICU's all over the place..................but it is all fiction and fake news....Insane
Old 07-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #5818
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Cases up dramatically, hospitalizations way up over-burdening the ICU's all over the place..................but it is all fiction and fake news....Insane
Physician, heal thyself!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #5819
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
where? I read ICU's are still fine
Old 07-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #5820
woodtoo

Quote:
where? I read ICU's are still fine
Made that up for effect, cases are way up in under 30 crowd in black areas.....weren't they protesting, rioting and looting a few weeks back.