Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #196
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
But why not ask one of your former NYRA executives how he likes it there?
You must be talking about Bill Nader..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #197
dilanesp

72 percent of Americans will not attend sports events until a vaccine has been found:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...-games-vaccine

I imagine that statistic alone kills any possibility of a traditional Derby. Even if the country is officially "opened up" then.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #198
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
72 percent of Americans will not attend sports events until a vaccine has been found:

I imagine that statistic alone kills any possibility of a traditional Derby. Even if the country is officially "opened up" then.
that poll is worthless

did you miss mardi gras this year when we had an obvious pandemic?

people will do whatever the media tells them is "ok".

if the media tells people this thing is over, then most will resume whatever they were going to do before.

nobody is going to hold-out for a vaccine

and although meaningless in terms of the Derby... - a vaccine 'cure' is unlikely to be found (just as we have flu vaccines, but rarely immunity to the current strain), but don't worry, a vaccine will hit the market
Old 04-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #199
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

"The Media" won't give the all clear if it will help Trump.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #200
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
that poll is worthless

did you miss mardi gras this year when we had an obvious pandemic?

people will do whatever the media tells them is "ok".

if the media tells people this thing is over, then most will resume whatever they were going to do before.

nobody is going to hold-out for a vaccine

and although meaningless in terms of the Derby... - a vaccine 'cure' is unlikely to be found (just as we have flu vaccines, but rarely immunity to the current strain), but don't worry, a vaccine will hit the market
Public opinion has shifted a lot since Mardi Gras.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #201
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

It’s really sick and perverse how much pleasure you get out of telling people on this message board how much the virus is going to f.uck up their lives. Bravo.

Last edited by NTamm1215; 04-15-2020 at 01:04 PM.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #202
Fred Mertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
It’s really sick and perverse how much pleasure you get out of telling people on this message board how much the virus is going to f.uck up their lives. Bravo.
I've learned this in my life, you can't tell a know-it-all one single thing.

I need a haircut and Gunsmoke is on. Doubtful on the haircut, but I know where my barber lives, so thanks for teasing my lockdown brain.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #203
dilanesp

Quote:
I don't take that pleasure at all. It's sad that people are dying. People are unemployed. People are depressed. They can't get needed medical care.

However, I reject the notion that anyone here is going to have their life screwed up because the Derby won't be staged with 160,000 spectators this year. If THAT is what keeps your life from being screwed up, I am not your problem.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #204
the little guy

Quote:
Agreed. It's pretty telling.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #205
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Agreed. It's pretty telling.
Every horse racing discussion forum in America- heck, every sports discussion forum in America- is discussing this topic.

My positions "tell" you nothing more than I think it's pretty obvious that we are going to be without big time sports as we knew them for awhile. A perfectly respectable position- and indeed, one held by a large number of people.

Inferring because I want to tell the truth and think that some of the more wishful thinking that is out there is exactly that, that I take pleasure in people's suffering is just wrong. Indeed, it's a gross thing to say.

We have people dying, right now. If we start having 160,000 person events too soon, more people will die. Far from taking pleasure in people's lives being screwed up, I'm calling for people to recognize the steps necessary to SAVE lives.

The wishful thinkers are the people who you should psychoanalyze, TLG. They are the people who may end up putting people at risk and ruining lives.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #206
elhelmete

Quote:
100%
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #207
stuball

weird

I love the statistics 72% of people will not attend events --- how the heck would they know it's not 73% or 74% or 12%. Is this an official POLL ..? One thing I know is people that quote statistics don't know.... really
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #208
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball View Post
I love the statistics 72% of people will not attend events --- how the heck would they know it's not 73% or 74% or 12%. Is this an official POLL ..? One thing I know is people that quote statistics don't know.... really
They only "polled" 762 people.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #209
classhandicapper

Personally, I doubt anyone is taking pleasure from this situation.

Some of us see the glass half full, some see it half empty, and some of us are in between. It's the way we are.

I've already lost one cousin. His younger brother is in ICU and we've been told to expect the worst and hope for the best.

I have a very good friend that lost his job. He's locked down sick with the virus at home with his wife, 3 kids and elderly in-laws in the same house. One of the in-laws is now sick waiting for test results.

My own mother is 85 and living with my special needs brother. He can't comprehend the risks due to his illness. He's going outside to stores etc.. unprotected and then coming home to my mother.

Fvck horse racing, sports, and personal grievances between people on message boards!!

Grow up for God's sake!

You want good news and upbeat reporting? The new cases seem to be flattening a bit (though NY had a bad day today). It looks to me like we are about 10 days or so behind Italy in terms of progress reducing new cases per day. So by the end of April God willing we may actually start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

In the mean time, I love racing and can't wait for it return 100% (assuming I remain healthy despite risks I'm being forced to take due to my own responsibilities).

Can we just keep our priorities in order please?

Long held forum personality conflicts is not one of them.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 04-15-2020 at 05:38 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 10:25 PM   #210
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04 View Post
They only "polled" 762 people.
If they constructed their sample properly (and I am NOT claiming to know they did) that should be enough to get a reasonably accurate result.