Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 03:19 AM   #16
Prioress Ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

This is without a doubt a total shame. I consider Peter Berry to be one of the TOP race callers in the COUNTRY. I'm talking easily TOP TWO OR THREE. And if I'm being completely honest, he just might be the BEST OUT THERE currently. I'm dead serious about that.

I have ALWAYS been a huge fan and a champion of his work on this board. And I have lamented multiple times how he should EASILY be calling on a MAJOR CIRCUIT.

If the industry loses this talent via ignorance, stupidity, or worse, then I dare say it's true what is said about those running the show, by their most vocal critics, here on this board and elsewhere. I haven't always bought all the vitriol thrown towards racetrack management, but if Berry leaves the game, I'm inclined to start believing it all.

This is pure, unmitigated BS.
Whoa Mr. Pace Advantage criticizes the industry. This is serious.
Prioress Ply is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
098poi

Check this out! (2 and a 1/4 mile marathon) Listen after the winner crosses the finish line. Good stuff.

098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #18
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
A few elite jobs pay well, like NYRA.

At lesser tracks, the announcer often has other duties and a long workday. E.g., television host, morning line maker, etc.

Woodbine offered $80k a year for the job Robert Geller now has, which includes tv hosting and handicapping as well as calling races.

Bad tracks might give you $500 a race card and no benefits.
I think this is true for about 90% of racetracks honestly. I would be surprised if some of the lower level tracks even offer $500 a day. Most are hybrid positions. Some announcers I have spoken to wear several different hats depending on the track.

You can make a decent living at some of the upper management positions, but by far and large I think most people work in the industry because they love what they do. A buddy of mine left a full time position in harness to work a t bred racing office circuit traveling between the meets. Very few tracks run enough dates to be employed in that capacity year round in one location. Even then, they will do entries in the morning before moving into an official type position once the races start.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #19
Inner Dirt

When was Peter's last post? Has he seen this thread? If he feels down maybe the fact a lot of us long term race fans thinking he is great will lift his spirits. I will miss his calls. Best of luck on your future endeavors Mr. Berry.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prioress Ply View Post
Whoa Mr. Pace Advantage criticizes the industry. This is serious.
Typical troll response.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-26-2017 at 06:44 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #21
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

The long winding road to Saratoga continues, i guess
zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #22
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

https://twitter.com/peterberry57?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #23
kingfin66
Bombardier

That is interesting. I am not a Twitter person, but if I am interpreting this correctly, Peter has deleted his Twitter account, or at least deleted all of his tweets.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:32 PM   #24
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
That is interesting. I am not a Twitter person, but if I am interpreting this correctly, Peter has deleted his Twitter account, or at least deleted all of his tweets.
Accounts there.....no tweets
Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 AM   #25
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

This is without a doubt a total shame. I consider Peter Berry to be one of the TOP race callers in the COUNTRY. I'm talking easily TOP TWO OR THREE. And if I'm being completely honest, he just might be the BEST OUT THERE currently. I'm dead serious about that.
I'll help make it clearer: In my opinion, Peter Berry is far and away the best racecaller in the United States. His talents are/were wasted at Mountaineer. But most racecallers from other countries (U.K., Australia, New Zealand, the English callers in Hong Kong, etc.) are much better than the ones here. They have to be: most of the racing elsewhere is on the turf, fields regularly exceed 12, and things change rapidly in the final 400 meters/quarter-mile.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #26
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
Believe it all P.A.

This is exactly why the Travis Stone, Matt Dinerman, Pete Aiello types keep catching the breaks they DO NOT deserve. It is all because they are in the good graces of the overrated Larry Collmus
Interesting observation. I've heard this whispered before. But some things best left unsaid.

RR

Last edited by cj; 11-27-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Fix quotes
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #27
NTamm1215

Quote:
Believe it all P.A.

This is exactly why the Travis Stone, Matt Dinerman, Pete Aiello types keep catching the breaks they DO NOT deserve. It is all because they are in the good graces of the overrated Larry Collmus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post

Interesting observation. I've heard this whispered before. But some things best left unsaid.

RR
It's complete and utter b.ullshit propagated by people who are jealous, clueless, or both.

Last edited by cj; 11-27-2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
jballscalls

I'm not an announcer anymore but know most of the parties mentioned above. There was acknowledgement that Larry gave Travis a recommendation for his first job at LaD. That was made public. But other than that, I agree with what Nick said.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #29
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
It's complete and utter b.ullshit propagated by people who are jealous, clueless, or both.
Now that's a b/s statement!

There is no way in hell Dinerman gets the EMD job without the endorsement of Collmus, when the job was calling for someone with at least 5 years experience. Then, magically, out of nowhere, Matt steps in to guest announce two races (how do you suppose he got that chance NTamm?) and ta-da gets the job over others who applied, such as Vic Stauffer and Mark Johnson who has extensive prior experience, including Jason Beem who wanted that job, badly!

Before that, Luke Kruytbosch controlled who went where in the announcing game and that's how Pete Aiello ended up at River Downs. River got into a bind when Beem left, so Luke got him the gig. During that time, Aiello was trying to get in good at Prairie Meadows, which wasn't going to happen.

Then GP extended the meet to year round racing years later, so Larry gave Pete a call since GP management asked Larry's thoughts about it and the rest is current history.

I also wonder how Matt got to be on the airwaves ontrack at Del Mar during the BC races. Oh that's right, he knows the right weasels to get him in! All kinds of happy photos on Matt's twitter account with Larry and Trevor.

Don't give that propagated crap on here, when it's 100% fact!

These so called announcer guys post quite a bit on their public twitter accounts as well as facebook, thanking the guys who got them in.

Nothing else to discuss here when the facts are presented

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I'm wondering which jobs you've pursued and missed out on that makes you so bitter about younger announcers prospering. Feel free to share.
Oh and p.s. smart aleck I am a Doctor, my jobs have been in the medical field.

Last edited by AstrosFan; 11-27-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: extra
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #30
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Then, magically, out of nowhere, Matt steps in to guest announce two races (how do you suppose he got that chance NTamm?) and ta-da gets the job over others who applied, such as Vic Stauffer and Mark Johnson who has extensive prior experience, including Jason Beem who wanted that job, badly!
Out of curiosity, how do you know who applied for the Emerald Downs announcing job? Perhaps Jason, who has posted in this thread, can verify if he did indeed want that job badly.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: