Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #76
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
I would love Coburn to make a public statement that CC is not coming unless the horse can have the same kind of preparation as in the other two TC races.
Organize the race, Belmont. We don't need your arrogant and misplaced policing powers on top of it.
You know, if people would just educate themselves, this thread would be a lot shorter.

a) There is no BAN on nasal strips.
b) I'll Have Another was not BANNED from wearing a nasal strip. He scratched before the decision was ultimately made, according to everything I have read.
c) This thread could have been reduced to about 4 or 5 replies with the following simple truth: If California Chrome's connections want to run him in the Belmont Stakes wearing a nasal strip, then he will be wearing a nasal strip.

If you read the actual "rule" that covers nasal strips (and it does not apply to nasal strips specifically, but is a catch-all sentence designed to cover any sort of miscellaneous equipment), you will see that no doubt the stewards will allow this horse to run with it, if that's what his connections request.

Controversy is now over.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #77
nijinski

Quote:
I would love Coburn to make a public statement that CC is not coming unless the horse can have the same kind of preparation as in the other two TC races.
Organize the race, Belmont. We don't need your arrogant and misplaced policing powers on top of it.
Well so far he only has love for the Md tracks and I understand his feelings
regarding Churchill incidents but you can't start making demands like
this . It's not fair to NYRA when they have enforced the rule for every other horse on the grounds .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #78
anotherCAfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
A couple of milkshakes and minor overages .Did his penalty and served
his probation time .
Made a mistake and I believe he paid the price .Not many are perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
For the record, if this horse were a Kentucky horse, a New York horse, a horse from Mars, I'd still be rooting hard. It would be great to see a Triple Crown winner. I don't think Chrome will win, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-18-2014 at 02:43 PM.
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #79
breezing

Quote:
he shouldn't announce anything until he has at least put the request in. wait until the request is either approved or rejected and then talk, to open their mouths now is pretty stupid.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #80
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Well, you can count on the powers that be for one thing. No shortage of material to post about on the Internet...

They could have cleared this whole thing up a couple of years ago, but no...they act like a nasal-strip controversy could NEVER rear its head again during a Triple Crown run. I'll Have Another was the only horse ever that would come to NY looking to use the strip. So they figured, why bother trying to come up with a workable solution in case this ever happens again.

Nope. Let's just enjoy the controversy the next time this issue rears its ugly head. That's what they must have been thinking.
I am taking back what I wrote here after brushing up again on what is actually written into the books regarding nasal strips.

There is no doubt in my mind that the stewards will follow the procedure in place for this type of equipment and will allow CC to run with the nasal strip in the Belmont.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #81
classhandicapper

Quote:
I am taking back what I wrote here after brushing up again on what is actually written into the books regarding nasal strips.

There is no doubt in my mind that the stewards will follow the procedure in place for this type of equipment and will allow CC to run with the nasal strip in the Belmont.
If that's the case, then every article written on the subject since I'll Have Another was a waste of time?

It seems to me if that was the case there would be a lot of horses in NY using a strip. The stewards may ultimately decide it's OK, but then there should be some kind of formal OK for all horses.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #82
Dark Horse

Quote:
Well so far he only has love for the Md tracks and I understand his feelings
regarding Churchill incidents but you can't start making demands like
this . It's not fair to NYRA when they have enforced the rule for every other horse on the grounds .
The nasal strips give no unfair advantage. Or everybody would use them. It's just a preference. If I remember correctly, from the IHA year, they don't want them because they could, possibly, fall off. Imagine that. All those nasal strips littering the track.

I don't care about the nasal strips themselves. I just have no tolerance towards Belmont anymore. Because, in the past, they have assigned themselves additional policing powers, beyond the responsibility of organizing the race, to determine who is a worthy TC winner. Based not on rules, but on their own subjective assumptions.

And that aversion is weighed against the fact that NY racing does allow a very high percentage of very high percentage trainers.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 05-18-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #83
nijinski

Quote:
The nasal strips give no unfair advantage. Or they would be banned. It's just a preference. If I remember correctly, from the IHA year, they don't want them because they could, possibly, fall off. Imagine that. All those nasal strips littering the track.

I don't care about the nasal strips themselves. I just have no tolerance towards Belmont anymore. Because, in the past, they have assigned themselves additional policing powers, beyond the responsibility of organizing the race, to determine who is a worthy TC winner. Based not on rules, but on their own subjective assumptions.
I think the state's governing bodies unleashed some powers that gave
NYRA little choices . That's how it appears but only those who work for
them would really know .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #84
Dark Horse

Quote:
I think the state's governing bodies unleashed some powers that gave
NYRA little choices . That's how it appears but only those who work for
them would really know .
Yes. Politics. And its usual bad timing.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 05-18-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #85
goatchaser

I say if the horse can not wear a nasal strip , the jock should be able to carry a Vicks Inhaler to wave around his nose during the race.
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #86
tucker6

Quote:
Controversy is now over.
what in hell are we going to talk about for another 20 days? The horses??
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #87
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Yes. Politics. And its usual bad timing. Basically, NY got sick of its own violations and decided to take it out on IHA.
You don't make any sense. NY wasn't the only jurisdiction setting up additional pre-race security/scrutiny prior to big races.

And NY did not simply put these additional pre-race measures into place solely for IHA's Belmont and then abandon them immediately after he left town, did they?

So your whole premise is off by quite a bit.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #88
samyn on the green

NY is a bastion of stupidity. Ruling class bankers can loot the treasury for trillions but regular citizens are arrested / fined for benign offense such as parking within 30 feet of a stop sign or riding a bike down a one way street. Being that Chrome's owners are not powerful agents of usury don't expect the authority to rule favorably for them.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #89
Dark Horse

Quote:
You don't make any sense. NY wasn't the only jurisdiction setting up additional pre-race security/scrutiny prior to big races.

And NY did not simply put these additional pre-race measures into place solely for IHA's Belmont and then abandon them immediately after he left town, did they?

So your whole premise is off by quite a bit.
I edited that, before seeing your reply.

I get that you're in NY.

The point is that the changes came as soon as IHA had a chance at the TC. Not before. At least we can all agree to that. If you want to deny any special motive after that, that's up to you.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #90
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green
NY is a bastion of stupidity. Ruling class bankers can loot the treasury for trillions but regular citizens are arrested / fined for benign offense such as parking within 30 feet of a stop sign or riding a bike down a one way street. Being that Chrome's owners are not powerful agents of usury don't expect the authority to rule favorably for them.
what does all that have to do with the price of rice in Thailand? Every time there is a thread about cleaning up the sport or having some consistency, we lament that there is none. In this case, whether you agree or disagree, NY is applying a standard for equipment for all t-breds. I agree with standards and enforcing them. I don't agree with this particular rule, but at least they didn't invent it yesterday. I hope they see wisdom in allowing CC to run with the strip, but we don't need hysterics to get us there.

Last edited by tucker6; 05-18-2014 at 03:23 PM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply