Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
46zilzal
velocitician

reality.

from https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02948-4
Old 11-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #17
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
what does that have to do with a vaccine discussion?
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #18
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
it will never end as lower respiratory diseases have been and always will be in the world.
Covid will always kill 50-70k going forward. There is no stopping it. The pandemic portion thought will end soon enough.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #19
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Healthcare workers will receive first priority (within the next 45 days, hopefully), then vulnerable populations. From everything I've read, the timeline for everyone is else is the late spring to early fall, with vaccine supply as the gating factor. But I hope you turn out to be correct.
Once you vaccinate the most vulnerable, the death toll will plunge.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #20
Stevecsd2

The mortality rate is highly skewed to the elderly. I have been tracking the age group deaths since the beginning. It has held remarkably steady that just under 80% of all deaths in the U.S. have been people 65 & older. The most recent CDC report (reported as of 11/12/2020) showed that only 115 children & teenagers between the age of 0-17 have died from COVID.

Protect the elderly and those with health issues or other co-morbidities, like heart disease, lung problems, diabetes and let the rest of us get on with our lives.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #21
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Once you vaccinate the most vulnerable, the death toll will plunge.
True, and if herd immunity is achieved at around 70%, we probably only need to vaccinate around 60% of Americans (assumes 10% already have Covid immunity) to stop the spread.

Pfizer's latest plans:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUKKBN2802L0
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 10:58 PM   #22
46zilzal
velocitician

This is all assuming that the vaccine can be in widespread use within a year AN no new problems arise.

I, for one, would NOT take the Pfizer variety with its severe temperature storage requirements...Drugs degrade at higher temperatures anyway.

There simply are not enough venues with that kind of extreme cold storage out there today
Old 11-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #23
TJDave

Quote:
This is all assuming that the vaccine can be in widespread use within a year AN no new problems arise.

I, for one, would NOT take the Pfizer variety with its severe temperature storage requirements...Drugs degrade at higher temperatures anyway.

There simply are not enough venues with that kind of extreme cold storage out there today
I expect that the general public won’t get to pick and choose. Whatever is available is what you’ll get.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #24
davew

Quote:

There are plenty of liquid nitrogen sources and small storage tanks. I would not want to take a shot from somewhere that did not have one.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2020, 01:32 AM   #25
ElKabong

Quote:

quote: Based on current estimates, about 10% of Covid-19 patients develop lasting symptoms, one of the most common being fatigue. The underlying mechanism is still unclear, but possible explanations include reduced oxygen supply to tissues caused by heart or lung damage, or muscle weakness from prolonged bed rest.

However, some doctors are increasingly concerned about the overlap between long Covid and another largely virus-triggered illness: “It’s extraordinary how many people have a postviral syndrome that’s very strikingly similar to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome,” said the US’s top public health official, Dr Anthony Fauci, in July. “They just don’t get back to normal energy or normal feeling of good health.”

Like people with ME/CFS, many long-Covid patients report headaches, brain fog, sleep problems, a racing heart, joint and muscle pain and fatigue. Some also experience a relapse of fever, muscle pain and exhaustion, known as “post-exertional malaise”, if they exercise beyond their capabilities.

“There are so many similarities between long Covid and ME/CFS it leads me to believe the underlying pathology is probably the same – except that long Covid is presenting as an epidemic, whereas ME/CFS has presented in a very sporadic way, and by no means in such large numbers in such a short space of time,” said Dr William Weir, a consultant in infectious diseases with a special interest in ME.
Ding ding ding ding… The bolded above has applied to me. Some days I work out, send the grandkid off to pre school and lay back in bed for hours. Huge difference than pre covid. Body aches almost daily, never had that before either

So many chores around the house I haven't done that I planned to before October (paint exterior of my house, take up laminate in den and refinish the original woods, finish painting master bedroom and the bathrooms... No energy to do that stuff

I still work out daily and hard, but afterwards I feel like "ok that's it for the day"
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #26
46zilzal
velocitician

cherry picking at its most obvious
Old 11-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #27
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Ding ding ding ding… The bolded above has applied to me. Some days I work out, send the grandkid off to pre school and lay back in bed for hours. Huge difference than pre covid. Body aches almost daily, never had that before either

So many chores around the house I haven't done that I planned to before October (paint exterior of my house, take up laminate in den and refinish the original woods, finish painting master bedroom and the bathrooms... No energy to do that stuff

I still work out daily and hard, but afterwards I feel like "ok that's it for the day"
All of Texas hospitalizations currently

https://covidtracking.com/data/chart...y-hospitalized

And since it is affecting all states, it may be only a matter of time until it climbs above previous peaks, as it is doing in the rest of the country.

Snap out of it Hayseed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg All US hosp.JPG (68.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by hcap; 11-21-2020 at 06:36 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #28
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
All of Texas hospitalizations currently

https://covidtracking.com/data/chart...y-hospitalized

And since it is affecting all states, it may be only a matter of time until it climbs above previous peaks, as it is doing in the rest of the country.

Snap out of it Hayseed.
Would you call me that name to my face? Nah. You run and hide back under your bed.

No problem with the #s here, cupcake. You scare too easily.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2020, 04:39 AM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
cherry picking at its most obvious
Many times, you post something that makes me question how you can possibly be as smart as you claim.

This was one of those times.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:47 AM   #30
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Would you call me that name to my face? Nah. You run and hide back under your bed.

No problem with the #s here, cupcake. You scare too easily.
How many times did you do the same to me? You started in with "cupcake" routine way before I settled on Hayseed.

Hit a nerve Kabong? About your willful ignorance?

Last edited by hcap; 11-22-2020 at 04:48 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply