Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
usfgeology

Tampa Bay Downs is about 3 miles from my front door and I pass it on my way home from work. I can play 18 and get to the track with an hour to review the daily program before PT or leave the office early and catch the late P3. With a reasonable 17% WPS takeout, I don't feel taken advantage of. We've got a lot of short fields and maiden claiming races but late last meet we were getting between 3 and 5 turf races (my favorite) a card. Can't beat it.

My local track is the reason I fell in love with horse racing. Fall potlucks in the tent with friends, family, and the common man..maybe make a few bucks. When the weather is hot, we sit inside at the horseshoe bar and enjoy our favorite bartenders. I'm a better bettor when I sit at home alone in front of the computer but I enjoy my time at the Downs more.
usfgeology is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #17
MonmouthParkJoe

You can probably guess mine is Monmouth, and yes I patronize this place every week like they were giving away free turkeys!

Yes it has its short comings like certain high percentage trainers and cheaper racing over the years, but there is no place I would rather spend my time day in and day out (outside of Saratoga of course).
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #18
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
If you REALLY wanted to support your local track you'd buy your own Dr. Pepper. Unless that's the one you left there the previous Saturday, then it's okay.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #19
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I grew up about 5 miles from Turf Paradise. To this day that's the track that comes to mind first when someone asks me about my local track.

Turf Paradise is the track with the highest WPS takeout in North America at 20.75 percent.

Turf Paradise is one of two tracks (Yavapai Downs being the other) that lobbied the AZ Legislature and Governor's Office for a change in state law that made ADW wagering a FELONY (for horseplayers) in 2007.

Two years later in 2009, a lobbyist representing Turf Paradise showed up at the State Capitol Building and argued against an effort by horseplayers, Yavapai Downs, and the Arizona HBPA to get state law changed so that a. Arizona horseplayers using an ADW from within Arizona would not be committing a FELONY, b. Arizona Tracks would have the ability to operate their own ADWs, and c. Arizona Tracks would have the ability to contract with out of state ADWs.

If you think I support my local track: think again.

-jp

we should grab a beer and swap some stories, would be a good laugh.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 12:43 AM   #20
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfgeology View Post
Tampa Bay Downs is about 3 miles from my front door and I pass it on my way home from work. I can play 18 and get to the track with an hour to review the daily program before PT or leave the office early and catch the late P3. With a reasonable 17% WPS takeout, I don't feel taken advantage of. We've got a lot of short fields and maiden claiming races but late last meet we were getting between 3 and 5 turf races (my favorite) a card. Can't beat it.

My local track is the reason I fell in love with horse racing. Fall potlucks in the tent with friends, family, and the common man..maybe make a few bucks. When the weather is hot, we sit inside at the horseshoe bar and enjoy our favorite bartenders. I'm a better bettor when I sit at home alone in front of the computer but I enjoy my time at the Downs more.
This is *everything*
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 12:49 AM   #21
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
I live 15 minutes from Fonner. I love going there for live racing. Sure the product isn’t great, but for me it’s about the camaraderie with my friends/family. I know lots of people on this board say that we need fewer tracks, but without these smaller local tracks I think a lot of money leaves the sport. I can say first had if it hadn’t been for Fonner I wouldn’t have ever had any interest in the sport outside of maybe the Derby.
This sounds nice.

I'm kinda getting a hankering to be close to a SMALL track now that my local looks like it's not going to be that anymore.

I really like the "hometown" feel at the smaller tracks.

New Zealand and throwing down a picnic blanket on the grass atmosphere is sounding good to me, too.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #22
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Belmont Park is a 15 minute drive from my house and is also the first track I ever went to (first harness track was Roosevelt Raceway). Unfortunately it really is a concrete cavern most of the time, and Aqueduct is really the pits, but these tracks are home. To have a true, old fashioned racetrack feel, I have to go almost two hours via two trains to Monmouth Park. That place is always nice to visit.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #23
BarchCapper

Grew up a NYRA/Meadowlands/Monmouth guy. Moved to Phoenix with an evening work shift in 1999 and some involvement in thoroughbred partnerships, and spent many a weekday morning on the backside and most weekend afternoons in the stands at Turf Paradise - 10 minute drive from the house.

Then came the hiatus. 2006 move to Ft. Wayne, IN (before Indiana Grand became decent T-bred) for seminary, and then 2010 move to western Michigan, the state where already bottom-level tracks were disappearing. That meant almost 13 years of virtually no local racing or support of ANY racing for me.

As 2019 dawned, we had just moved to Hot Springs Village, AR. I now have Oaklawn 30 minutes away, and I spent MANY days of the past racing season at this very fan-friendly, fairly busy (even on weekdays) track. I spend a lot of time walking laps of the apron and grandstand floors to get my 10-15,000 steps a day, and a number of the regular staff was always being encouraging about that.

One other fun on-track benefit - a bonus on show wagering. When I attend, along with making my bets on Oaklawn through their ADW, I also put together a show parlay or two through the windows. A few hits on those made for some extremely enjoyable outings.

I am super excited for 2020, and this fall I’ve started getting involved with supporting the backstretch community through the racetrack chapel/chaplaincy. Hearing about Marylou Whitney’s work at Saratoga upon her passing this summer and being actively reminded by Doug O’Neill’s efforts about the importance of the backstretch workers got me pointed towards being active here. (Horses/horsemen arrive on the 25th, and track opens for training Dec 2nd, for the season opening Jan 24th).
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Grew up a NYRA/Meadowlands/Monmouth guy. Moved to Phoenix with an evening work shift in 1999 and some involvement in thoroughbred partnerships, and spent many a weekday morning on the backside and most weekend afternoons in the stands at Turf Paradise - 10 minute drive from the house.

Then came the hiatus. 2006 move to Ft. Wayne, IN (before Indiana Grand became decent T-bred) for seminary, and then 2010 move to western Michigan, the state where already bottom-level tracks were disappearing. That meant almost 13 years of virtually no local racing or support of ANY racing for me.

As 2019 dawned, we had just moved to Hot Springs Village, AR. I now have Oaklawn 30 minutes away, and I spent MANY days of the past racing season at this very fan-friendly, fairly busy (even on weekdays) track. I spend a lot of time walking laps of the apron and grandstand floors to get my 10-15,000 steps a day, and a number of the regular staff was always being encouraging about that.

One other fun on-track benefit - a bonus on show wagering. When I attend, along with making my bets on Oaklawn through their ADW, I also put together a show parlay or two through the windows. A few hits on those made for some extremely enjoyable outings.

I am super excited for 2020, and this fall I’ve started getting involved with supporting the backstretch community through the racetrack chapel/chaplaincy. Hearing about Marylou Whitney’s work at Saratoga upon her passing this summer and being actively reminded by Doug O’Neill’s efforts about the importance of the backstretch workers got me pointed towards being active here. (Horses/horsemen arrive on the 25th, and track opens for training Dec 2nd, for the season opening Jan 24th).
Bonus of shows bets is first live people? That actually sounds fun. How much is the bonus worth?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #25
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I make a 45 min drive almost every Saturday to Fonner Park. When I get there once in a while there is a Dr. Pepper already sitting on the table I usually sit at. I figure as small as the track is, I got to do my part for Nebraska racing. I know it is not much, but...
Bingo.

Fonner isn't the greatest, but I enjoy the place. I fully support Fonner and make a trip out 2 to 3 times a year while simulcast wagering in Lincoln which is 90 minutes away.

We have a great simulcast facility in Lincoln that is supposed to have a track in the next 2 to 3 years. Dirt has been dug, and we even have some rails up. Funding is still a problem, but there is some hope that live racing will return to Lincoln.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #26
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Dirt has been dug, and we even have some rails up. Funding is still a problem, but there is some hope that live racing will return to Lincoln.

Those rails are for the two 1 furlong races they hold every year to keep the simulcast license in effect.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #27
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Bonus of shows bets is first live people? That actually sounds fun. How much is the bonus worth?
I believe it works out to reducing the on-track show bet takeout from 17% to 10%.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #28
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Those rails are for the two 1 furlong races they hold every year to keep the simulcast license in effect.
Pretty sure they will have a track starting next year.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #29
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Pretty sure they will have a track starting next year.

I have already been to the old Lincoln Race Course, look forward to visiting the new one.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #30
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post

I have already been to the old Lincoln Race Course, look forward to visiting the new one.

Let us know when you visit.

Free room and board.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply