Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Secretariat

Martin Luther King Day

Happy Martin Luther King Day. What an inspring man.

It is interesting to know that despite John Conyers efforts in 1968 King was not honored until the early 80's.

In 1979 133 members voted against the holiday, 9 are still in the House, and 1 has even become the Vice President. That's right, as hard as it is to beleive, Dick Cheney voted against the Martin Luther King holiday.

But that isn't all. John Nichols in his book, Dick: The Man Who is President reveals much more about Cheny's understanding of terrorist organizations when he voted against the release of Nelson Mandela.

"JOHN NICHOLS: You're right. There's a chapter in the book, it's actually entitled “Apartheid's Congressman.” It's about Cheney's service in the house from 1979 to 1989. One of the things that is done in that chapter is a list of the dozens and dozens of votes on which Cheney was one of less than ten members of the house putting him at the extreme edge in voting for very right-wing, very bizarre positions. And I was very delighted about this -- I was delighted to hear finally in a national political debate someone bring up that Mandela vote. I have talked to Nelson Mandela about these issues. He's very blunt about it he says one of the many reasons why he fears Dick Cheney's power in the United states, and Mandela does say, he understands that Cheney is effectively the President of the United States, he says, one of the many reasons that he fears Dick Cheney's power is that in the late 1980's when even prominent republicans like Jack Kemp and Newt Gingrich were acknowledging the crime of Apartheid, Dick Cheney maintained the lie that the ANC was a terrorist organization and a fantasy that Nelson Mandela was a terrorist leader who deserved to be in jail. Frankly it begs very powerful question. If Dick Cheney's judgment was that bad in the late 1980's, why would we believe that it's gotten any better in the early 21st century? "
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
skate
s.e. pa.

i love MLK quotes.

one i attribute to his vision of a "Chainsaw-Chaney" type of person, when MLK asked " if my message is so black, then why is my heart so White".
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Secretariat

skate, we agree on something. King was truly amazing.

Heres a few of his quotes as well:

“Polls reveal that almost fifteen million Americans explicitly oppose the war in Vietnam. Additional millions cannot bring themselves around to support it. And even those millions who do support the war [are] half-hearted, confused, and doubt-ridden. This reveals that millions have chosen to move beyond the prophesying of smooth patriotism, to the high grounds of firm dissent, based upon the mandates of conscience and the reading of history. Now, of course, one of the difficulties in speaking out today grows the fact that there are those who are seeking to equate dissent with disloyalty. It's a dark day in our nation when high-level authorities will seek to use every method to silence dissent. But something is happening, and people are not going to be silenced. The truth must be told, and I say that those who are seeking to make it appear that anyone who opposes the war in Vietnam is a fool or a traitor or an enemy of our soldiers is a person that has taken a stand against the best in our tradition. “

Martin Luther King, April 30, 1967
Why I am Opposed to the War in Vietnam

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/paci...ranscript.html

His seven reasons why he opposed the war are in that speech as well.

Below are a couple more small excerpts:

"The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just. A true revolution of values will lay hands on the world order and say of war, "This way of settling differences is not just." This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nation's homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into the veins of peoples normally humane, of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice, and love. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death. "

….

“With this faith we will be able to speed up the day when all over the world we will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we're free at last!" With this faith, we'll sing it as we're getting ready to sing it now. Men will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. And nations will not rise up against nations, neither shall they study war anymore. And I don't know about you, I ain't gonna study war no more.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
FoxTrot
Journeyman

King's attitude toward women was chauvinist and often exploitative. In his 1989 autobiography, And the Walls Came Tumbling Down, King's close friend and fellow civil rights leader Ralph Abernathy writes that on the night before he died, King gave a rousing speech, had dinner with a woman afterward and remained with her till 1 AM, then came back to his motel to spend the night with a second woman. In the early morning hours a third woman came looking for King and became angry when she found the bed in the room he shared with Abernathy unoccupied. When King reappeared, he argued with woman #3 and wound up knocking her across the bed.

Not an inspiring quote from that night.
FoxTrot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
skate
s.e. pa.

i better get this in before...

MLK " if my heart is so black, then why is my message so bright?"
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Equating Nelson Mandela with MLK is an insult to MLK. Do you think MLK would approve of the church street bombing? Mandela did..........

I suggest anybody who would read this crap about Mandela, please look into the ANC and Mandela's approval of terrorist activities.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
PlanB
Veteran

I LOVE NELSON. Where does he buy those FaB shirts?
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Equating Nelson Mandela with MLK is an insult to MLK. Do you think MLK would approve of the church street bombing? Mandela did..........

I suggest anybody who would read this crap about Mandela, please look into the ANC and Mandela's approval of terrorist activities.
My god, you are Dick Cheney. Nelson Madela was fighting a war against an unjsut syswtem of apartheid. You most likely would not have voted for his release either I imagine. But JR, do go back and read the King quotes i posted.

As to his extramarital affairs..I don't know about that, an personally don't care. He is admired for his foresight in a turbulent time. Repubs always have to reduce it to who they're having sex with. Must watch a lot of Entertainment Tonight.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxTrot
King's attitude toward women was chauvinist and often exploitative. In his 1989 autobiography, And the Walls Came Tumbling Down, King's close friend and fellow civil rights leader Ralph Abernathy writes that on the night before he died, King gave a rousing speech, had dinner with a woman afterward and remained with her till 1 AM, then came back to his motel to spend the night with a second woman. In the early morning hours a third woman came looking for King and became angry when she found the bed in the room he shared with Abernathy unoccupied. When King reappeared, he argued with woman #3 and wound up knocking her across the bed.

Not an inspiring quote from that night.
He was just being a "Player" I actually heard someone say this. this is a sad side to the man.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
kenwoodallpromos

Celebrate!

My sister-in-law celebrates the MLK Jr assassination as the day she got the hell beat out of her in Oakland for being white by a bunch of blacks before they knew who killed him.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
PlanB
Veteran

Ouch. Was she badly physically hurt.
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Equating Nelson Mandela with MLK is an insult to MLK.
btw.. I wasn't equating them as you well know, but I was commenting on Cheney's absurd votes in the House.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
kenwoodallpromos

Hurt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanB
Ouch. Was she badly physically hurt.
I do not know, didn't know them then. Or when blacks poked my wife in the butt with pins. Fortunately they soon moved out of where they were not welcome. They just try to lok at everybody as individuals, but in the big city you have to be leery of everybody.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
... As to his extramarital affairs..I don't know about that, an personally don't care. He is admired for his foresight in a turbulent time. Repubs always have to reduce it to who they're having sex with. Must watch a lot of Entertainment Tonight.
Whether Martin, John, and William, were freedom lovers or free-lovers, they had a tendency to discharge their weapons in all the wrong places -- just like Dick did.

Shoot first and questions will be asked later, if not forever.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Really, when you think about it, Sec is so one-track inded he cannot go one thread without throwing stones at somebody. It must really suc to be such a noting that your entire existence is wrapped up in attacking others.
Nowhe uses MLK day as nothing more than another excuse for his frustrated Bush bashing. Shallower than the wading pool at the kiddy park, old Sec is.
Sad.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: