Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Aaron Hernandez

Seems like the family is suing the Pats because he had advance stage CTE.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
As Hard hitting as the game is now, they all will be damaged. In ten years nobody is going to want to play
Old 09-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Now THAT will be interesting. That Concussion movie did a great job on documenting the mental destruction of some of the players. Now let's talk about the high percentage of football players involved in domestic violence.

Could get VERY interesting.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
tucker6

Quote:
problem is what percentage of his illness was from the pros versus college versus high school versus pee wee versus non-football activity. And after you get done with that, you then have to judge whether he committed the crimes as a sociopath or as a brain damaged person. This will certainly be interesting.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
MutuelClerk

Sue Urban Meyer for signing the POS in the first place.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
jms62
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
As Hard hitting as the game is now, they all will be damaged. In ten years nobody is going to want to play
After the lawyers get done there may not be an NFL in 10 years.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Don't know if this was mentioned here but a study released a couple of months ago of ex-NFL players who donated their brains for medical research after their deaths showed that over 99 % (110 out of 111) had various stages of CTE.Results would be skewed because almost all suspected they had brain damage but those are still startling numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...encephalopathy

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Earl Morrall helped lead the Dolphins to an undefeated season when Bob Griese got hurt. He played until he was over 40 years old and for a total of 21 seasons. Wikipedia: "After death, examination of his brain disclosed that he had grade 4 (the most serious stage) chronic traumatic encephalopathy."

Now, Brady is 40 years old. It makes you wonder how badly he has CTE.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
After the lawyers get done there may not be an NFL in 10 years.
Surely you jest JMS. The NFL will be around far after we are in the ground.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 01:07 AM   #10
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Earl Morrall helped lead the Dolphins to an undefeated season when Bob Griese got hurt. He played until he was over 40 years old and for a total of 21 seasons. Wikipedia: "After death, examination of his brain disclosed that he had grade 4 (the most serious stage) chronic traumatic encephalopathy."

Now, Brady is 40 years old. It makes you wonder how badly he has CTE.
Jim Hudson may be a name you're familiar with, after his death a few years ago CTE was found to be present in the autopsy.

Jim is the subject of my favorite sports trivia question. ....He's the only guy to win an ncaa title (Texas Longhorns, football 1963), a super bowl (1969 jets) and a training title (retama park in the 1990s). He was a happy go lucky guy when I met him seventeen years ago. Personality changed over time, I didn't spend much time with him after 2005. Sad, sad disease.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
Jess Hawsen Arown

I asked a lawyer I know his thoughts on the chances of them winning. His thoughts are -- zero.

"Statistics are not proof."

Does the Hernandez family lawyer think otherwise, or is he just seeing an easy paycheck?
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Hernandez had a history of committing violent crimes all the way back to when he was a juvenile. The guy has always been gang banging gutter trash, his actions have nothing to do with CTE.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Hernandez had a history of committing violent crimes all the way back to when he was a juvenile. The guy has always been gang banging gutter trash, his actions have nothing to do with CTE.
Maybe or maybe not. There is no way of knowing if he had CTE as a kid from playing football or other injuries. Of course, there is no way of knowing if he didn't have it, either.

There is evidence that even youth football players show signs of CTE.

Psychiatrists have found that kids with abnormal growths on their brains can show signs of abnormal behavior. One psychiatrist had a nephew with a cyst on his brain and the kid was horribly misbehaved. The psychiatrist recommended a brain scan and that was when the cyst was found. It was removed and the kid became normal.

It's hard to tell what is going on in people's brains.

Sometimes bad behavior is due to faulty wiring. Sometimes bad behavior results from pressure on the brain due to some sort of growth. Sometimes it is bad parenting. Sometimes it is brain damage.

And some kids are probably just bad eggs.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post

And some kids are probably just bad eggs.

I would say that is the case 95% of the time. I have a loser 22 year old nephew doing 2-5 years in the Idaho state pen for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend in presence of a child. I have heard every excuse and BS psychological sugar coating of his behavior ever since his first trip to juvenile hall when he was 14. My favorite is his so called "anger issues" and "impulse control issues." Funny thing he only loses control around women or people smaller than him. I hope he screws up in the joint and never draws another breath of air outside of a jail. He probably does have brain damage from drug use but his behavior was bad long before he did everything from sniffing solvent to taking hallucinogenics.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #15
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I would say that is the case 95% of the time. I have a loser 22 year old nephew doing 2-5 years in the Idaho state pen for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend in presence of a child. I have heard every excuse and BS psychological sugar coating of his behavior ever since his first trip to juvenile hall when he was 14. My favorite is his so called "anger issues" and "impulse control issues." Funny thing he only loses control around women or people smaller than him. I hope he screws up in the joint and never draws another breath of air outside of a jail. He probably does have brain damage from drug use but his behavior was bad long before he did everything from sniffing solvent to taking hallucinogenics.
This is a good example that shows that when it comes to the brain, science still has a long way to go toward solving behavioral issues.

Society is still using a sledgehammer approach when it comes to correcting behavior. We throw them in the slammer and hope they change after doing time. The same thing society has been doing for a thousand years. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Science has a long way to go.