Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Immortal6

Laurel Handicappers, dead rail?

For those of you that play Laurel (I myself never have) is the rail as dead as the forms are making it seem? There is a horse in the 4th race there today Pete's Play Call that I have bet his last couple of races, but I'm shying away due to what looks like a terrible spot on the rail today. Advice? Thoughts? Thanks fellas.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks. May stop by the track today.

haven't handicapped yet, but there is a f/m named 'Crabcakes' who is 3/5 ml. Maybe she's unbeatable, but with a name like that she'll take some money on Million Day.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
jay68802

He can overcome the rail draw, leaves the in the gate lets the go in front and is able to move out as much as the allows him to. The problem then is running down the who draws outside and and gets a perfect trip.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Immortal6

GL today Robert! Jay that is my hope. I'm hoping the weight difference between the and will be the difference maker if the 1 gets a good trip.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
tophatmert

Don't know about the bias but am willing to play the in the 2nd race with the : and w/p place. Might be running at the end and dry track races are ok.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Ruffian1

Having spent my entire career there, the rail can be deadish this time of year because they typically start the winterizing of the track about now.

What that is , is spreading more cushion on the track as more will be needed in the winter months to offset freezing than is typically necessary when we are in the warmer months.

That will work its way down to the rail with harrowing.

But... watch a race or two as Saturdays are usually the strongest scrape days this time of year. By that I mean, the day that the grader moves the most dirt.

This is especially true on a day like today.

It would be a first from my days there if the rail on Million day was not at least even and typically strong.

Betting the inside going a mile and a 1/16th was automatic on days like today back in my day. Especially early in the card.

As a heads up moving forward, Friday will, become the heaviest scrape day in about a month due to light as well as earlier post times on Saturdays. And even more so if wet weather is coming in. (Cannot grade mud.)
Fridays are typically the day they grade the chute also. That can be big going 7/8ths or a mile.)

They used to move the most on Friday and follow up on Saturday with a maintenance scrape . But Fridays were free money sometimes. Just have to watch, or better yet, get there around 10:30 am and see for yourself. Just walk in like you own the place. Nobody will say anything unless you look like a dear in the headlights.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 10-21-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
jay68802

Second race seemed that all the horses that did their running on the inside stopped. One horse that was closing moved inside and flattened out.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Immortal6

Ruffian thanks for the info, posts like yours are why I love being a part of this forum. Doubt I ever make it up to Maryland from Nebraska but if I do I'll definitely have to check out Laurel Park now.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
jay68802

let's find out
Laurel Race #3:

Pick 3: / /
Old 10-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Ruffian thanks for the info, posts like yours are why I love being a part of this forum. Doubt I ever make it up to Maryland from Nebraska but if I do I'll definitely have to check out Laurel Park now.
I'm in Minden right now waiting for the "restaurant" to open.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I'm in Minden right now waiting for the "restaurant" to open.
Currently trying to handicap from an auger wagon south of Wood River haha!

So much for making this thread with the 1 and 5 others scratched.

Last edited by Immortal6; 10-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
Having spent my entire career there, the rail can be deadish this time of year because they typically start the winterizing of the track about now.

What that is , is spreading more cushion on the track as more will be needed in the winter months to offset freezing than is typically necessary when we are in the warmer months.

That will work its way down to the rail with harrowing.

But... watch a race or two as Saturdays are usually the strongest scrape days this time of year. By that I mean, the day that the grader moves the most dirt.

This is especially true on a day like today.

It would be a first from my days there if the rail on Million day was not at least even and typically strong.

Betting the inside going a mile and a 1/16th was automatic on days like today back in my day. Especially early in the card.

As a heads up moving forward, Friday will, become the heaviest scrape day in about a month due to light as well as earlier post times on Saturdays. And even more so if wet weather is coming in. (Cannot grade mud.)
Fridays are typically the day they grade the chute also. That can be big going 7/8ths or a mile.)

They used to move the most on Friday and follow up on Saturday with a maintenance scrape . But Fridays were free money sometimes. Just have to watch, or better yet, get there around 10:30 am and see for yourself. Just walk in like you own the place. Nobody will say anything unless you look like a dear in the headlights.

Hope that helps.
Great Post! I remember the rail doing well at Lrl, but haven't charted it in a long time.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Currently trying to handicap from an auger wagon south of Wood River haha!

So much for making this thread with the 1 and 5 others scratched.
Happen to know Tony Webster?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

6 out of 13 scratch....what' up with Laurel?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #15
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Great Post! I remember the rail doing well at Lrl, but haven't charted it in a long time.

Knowing the rail is nice is one thing but knowing WHY is quite another.

What I spoke to should hold true until March.

Glad to have shared what took me a career to learn.

One thing about a Laurel bias. There is always a reason.

Really hope it helps.

P.S.

To identify a scrape, look under the rail where hooves cannot go but the grader blade does on it's first pass through.

You will notice that is is freshly smoothed over with very little dirt laying on top. It is pretty much undisturbed and looks clean. That is where the blade starts when a scrape occurs.

By contrast, look at the same area under the rail in the chute.

That area looked quite disturbed but could only see a little of it. If so, they did not work the chute area as recently as they worked the track itself in all probability. Constant harrowing will eventually throw clods of dirt on an otherwise smooth surface telling you it is a scrape that probably did not occur that recently, therefore, less chance of a rail.

While I always was able to witness what was going on as 10:30 was work time, for those that cannot get out there or are watching on TV, check under the inner rail and document what you see when you are watching Laurel. See if it does or does not match up with your opinion of the strength of the rail on each card. Pretty sure you will be happy with the outcome.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 10-21-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply