Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.80 average.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #196
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You saw the reason why he won. It's something you admit yourself, that you are clueless about.

It's a clash of cultures between those who see and those who can't see.

It's a clash of cultures between the brainwashed ("This is the way it must be, has been, and should always be") and those who more forgiving when it comes to "style points" and focus more intently on bottom line results.

In other words, the people who voted for Trump don't care how he gets to where he's going, as long as he eventually gets there.
Perhaps...

I didn't know he ever got to a bottom line. It seemed largely incoherent.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #197
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
Perhaps...

I didn't know he ever got to a bottom line. It seemed largely incoherent.
I wasn't talking about the bottom line of the press conference. I'm talking about the bottom line when it comes to the things he campaigned on...

As long as he works towards accomplishing his campaign promises, there's a segment of the population that doesn't care how he acts or what he says on his way there...

If enough people cared about the his delivery during public events, they never would have elected him in the first place.

We get it...he goes off on tangents and can't help but promote himself to the point of ridiculousness...but it doesn't matter.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #198
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the bottom line of the press conference. I'm talking about the bottom line when it comes to the things he campaigned on...

As long as he works towards accomplishing his campaign promises, there's a segment of the population that doesn't care how he acts or what he says on his way there...

If enough people cared about his delivery, they never would have elected him in the first place.
I'm not really trying to pick a fight over this. It was largely incoherent rambling today as we've all come to expect it as the norm.

I understand your substance over style argument too... I just don't see the substance.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #199
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
It was largely incoherent rambling today as we've all come to expect it as the norm.
It would have been less embarrassing if he had gone out there, sat on a stool, and made fart noises with his armpit.

Then again, it was the intellectual equivalent of that..

The man's unhinged.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #200
Ocala Mike

Summary of presser - "I'm a really great guy with a really great family and a really great administration and the press should stop saying mean, nasty things about me (except Fox and Friends can keep doing what they're doing)".
Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #201
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...works both way...you do know that...

Unhinged is the perfect word for the opposition as well.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #202
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I just don't see the substance.
Oh, I'm sorry...what are we, less than a month into this?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #203
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry...what are we, less than a month into this?
He did run for office or does he get a fresh clock to come up with something "terrific" to replace the ACA?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #204
CincyHorseplayer

Listening to Trump he is so unpolished it cannot be disingenuous! A little vanity, not a terribly great vocabulary, these are the things the haters pander to, to make "The story". I get it but I think their interpretation is far more deep end unnecessary than the presidents human quirks. The former is deliberately destructive. The latter is mere honesty of personality. Getting into red tape about electoral college numbers they think belie a deeper evil. It's BS IMO. I thought the PC today was necessary and solid. He spoke and I think fielded 45 minutes of questions from e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y. Anyway for all that it was good to see and hear the message and the big picture. This infatuation with the "Process" abstracts from that even if he stokes the fire. Sticking to the economy and the actual happenings I thought was refreshing from the soap opera. Need more of this. I thought he said enough about Russia but it seems still everybody wants to bathe in the topic. Is that necessary? Anyway this was a step in the right direction. This will never be a smooth relationship but I thought today was good. Pointing out that as 2 nuclear strong countries the US and Russia's relationship being healthy is better for the world was a key point. As was that one of the leaders of the black caucus cancelled a meeting with him for fear of political retribution was an important point when addressing a question about fixing the inner cities. Pointing out the illegality of leaks and sanctuary cities was key. The law is not optional for resistors in office. The exchanges with CNN were hostile but at least slightly comic friendly. A laugh was overdue here. Overall today was good.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #205
woodtoo

Quote:

I really have no idea what I just saw...
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #206
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
Listening to Trump he is so unpolished it cannot be disingenuous! A little vanity, not a terribly great vocabulary, these are the things the haters pander to, to make "The story". I get it but I think their interpretation is far more deep end unnecessary than the presidents human quirks.

Not that I care either way about the man, but you have to admit he makes Richard Nixon seem downright loveable. You have to take him as he is , wish him the best, and drop it. He is not going to go away.

Last edited by jk3521; 02-16-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #207
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
You saw the reason why he won. It's something you admit yourself, that you are clueless about.

It's a clash of cultures between the brainwashed ("This is the way it must be, has been, and should always be") and those who more forgiving when it comes to "style points" and focus more intently on bottom line results.

In other words, the people who voted for Trump don't care how he gets to where he's going, as long as he eventually gets there.
You are absolutely right about why he won. His unconventional way of acting presidential absolutely energizes his base. He rips the BBC or CNN and his crowd goes crazy. Beyond that, the entities he picks on simply don't know how to handle him. They've never run up against that sort of politician.

I listened to the press conference. Trump is like a savant. When he would say, the problem wasn't what Flynn did, it was the traitors who leaked the story, you could see he absolutely believed what he was saying. He's also mastered the art of speaking a lot of words but only exposing the thinnest of details. He's not going to tell you what he's going to do to that Russian ship, but don't worry he's got the situation totally under control, and his supporters think, brilliant - he's keeping the Russians guessing.

I agree that if you are a Trump supporter, he is brilliant.

Not that he needs my advice, but he is playing with fire. You can get away with being arrogant and a bully as long as you never give your enemies any ammunition. The mainstream media can be like a pack of hungry dogs and what Trump doesn't want to do is appear like a juicy piece of steak. What he doesn't want to do is believe he can disarm them simply by discrediting them, especially the ones with deep resources.

Put yourself in the same position as CNN, the NY Times, or WaPo. They'll hunt, and they'll dig and they'll turn over every rock they can find. As long as Trump is squeaky clean, he'll maintain the upper hand. But if he stumbles, the MSM will be all over it. It's a lot of pressure.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #208
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
Apparently, he can't handle the truth.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #209
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

Exactly right. He makes you feel like he's not from the swamp
And then he stands in the biggest bully pulpit in the world and points out the worst creatures swimming around.

It was brilliant. His voters feel like they were standing behind him staring into the swamp........
Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #210
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
You can get away with being arrogant and a bully as long as you never give your enemies any ammunition.
Every time he opens his mouth he digs a deeper hole.

The media won't quit and Trump can't help himself. I expect he will flame out. Too bad the country will be dragged down with him.

Popcorn time.