Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
jimmyb

Lure passes at 28

One of my favorites.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/b...-lure-dies-28/
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
sour grapes
Veteran

mine too.that dual with Devil His Due in the wood was one of the greatest races ive witnessed in person.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
sour grapes
Veteran

andy serling tweeted the last race of lure's career which he beat paradise creek
and Fourstardave in the 94 baruch.Great race if someone can link it up to the thread.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
sour grapes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
andy serling tweeted the last race of lure's career which he beat paradise creek
and Fourstardave in the 94 baruch.Great race if someone can link it up to the thread.
actually his last win as he lost in the breeders cup mile in 94.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
RunForTheRoses

Great horse, mile on the Turf was the best.Was no slouch on the dirt either.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
classhandicapper

One of the best US turf milers I have ever seen.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
RunForTheRoses

RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

How great was that Gotham?

Sadly, we have lost yet another fantastic horse from arguably one of the best periods of time for horseracing in the last 40-50 years (that being the late 80s to mid 90s).

It just sucks to see all these horses laid to rest.

Devil His Due, Hansel, Holy Bull, Lure, Inside Information - all have passed in the last year or so, and I know I'm forgetting a couple of more...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
GMB@BP

That 93' mile is insane when you factor in the wide trip and fractions for the half mile. What a miler.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
That 93' mile is insane when you factor in the wide trip and fractions for the half mile. What a miler.
The burden of Lure's horrendous outside post was alleviated greatly by the antics of Ski Paradise from the inside. While Lure did go 5 or 6 wide into the first turn, Smith was able to drop in to the 2 or 3 path before completing the turn as pace rivals Flawlessly, Paradise Creek, and Lech all had to check sharply.

Not only that, but Lure was granted some insurance for the latter stages of the race--regardless of what fractions he set down the backstretch--when one of his main rivals Barathea (who subsequently romped to a course record in Lure's attempt at a 3rd consecutive Mile in '94) also blew the first turn, taking the rest of the field save for Johann Quatz with him (including late threats Toussaud and Bigstone).

Its telling of the plight of Lure's main rivals that Fourstars Allstar at 75-1 was able to save 3rd with a clean trip. Only he and the outclassed Johann Quatz (who happened to run 2nd in the Mile the following year) seem to be unaffected. The sprinter Catrail was really run through the wringer as he appeared to check and stumble badly approaching the far turn after getting pulverized in the first turn.

This was only Paradise Creek's second start following a 6 month break in the middle of his 4yo season. He never missed the board after that, but also never started in a flat mile race again.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post

One of my favorite races of all time. Definitely, my favorite 5 horse turf race!
The two champs got a loud applause but Fourstardave got a standing ovation in the post parade. People knew he would probably lose but it didn't matter. Saratoga has seen them all since I've lived here. Secretariat, Affirmed, Alydar and Rachel, but they loved that ole boy Fourstardave win or lose. Other than my time in the Navy I've been here since 1969. The one thing among many that I love about Saratoga Racecourse is the sportsmanship. People enjoy the competition and appreciate the outcome no matter who wins. He was up against the best and gave it all...it was a great day of racing! Lure and Paradise Creek were truly great turf horses. A day I'll remember for all my days! Lure had more talent when he was right than any miler you will ever see!

Last edited by burnsy; 11-21-2017 at 05:06 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
GMB@BP

The thing about Lure, at least I have been told, was he ran the turns so well that it was easy for him to crack the race at that point for horses chasing him. I dont know why one horse would run turns better than another other than maybe size but it was an attribute he had that stood out.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Pigpen

The largest exacta wager I ever placed. I was at the window and placed the exacta straight on Lure over Paradise Creek in the Bernard Baruch at SAR in approx. 1995 and the guy behind me told me I had it backward. The exacta hit and I think I only got 2-1 on my investment but it was a thrill.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
Vinnie

What a magnificent animal/horse. Man oh man was he a gifted one too.. He will be missed..... RIP Big Boy!!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply