Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #106
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
This begs the question: "Why do you watch this woman a lot?"
That's the morning news show I watch.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #107
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Old 11-07-2017, 12:59 AM   #108
Fager Fan
Veteran

Maybe the two sides should meet in the middle instead of feet planted firmly wide apart.

I do think there should be some things we can do to make it harder for the wrong people to get their hands on guns, and yes, more specifically semi-automatics.

I think we can support the right to bear arms while also supporting trying to reduce the incidents where innocents are mowed down.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:43 AM   #109
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post

I do think there should be some things we can do to make it harder for the wrong people to get their hands on guns, and yes, more specifically semi-automatics.
Who gets to decide which are the wrong people?

Targeting semi-automatics is blaming the gun rather than the user.

And as a practical matter, discussing it is pointless. That genie is already out of the bottle. When a Democrat controlled Senate tried to pass an Assault Weapons Ban in 2013, aimed at evil semi-automatic, high capacity weapons, the bill failed 40-60, with 15 Democrats voting against it.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #110
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Who gets to decide which are the wrong people?

Targeting semi-automatics is blaming the gun rather than the user.

And as a practical matter, discussing it is pointless. That genie is already out of the bottle. When a Democrat controlled Senate tried to pass an Assault Weapons Ban in 2013, aimed at evil semi-automatic, high capacity weapons, the bill failed 40-60, with 15 Democrats voting against it.
Criminals, the mentally ill, etc. I don't mean some random choice of people. It wouldn't stop the Vegas shooter, but it would this church shooter. I'm thinking along the lines of going after through prosecution, just like I think it could help clean the streets if we increase the punishment for dealing heroin.

No, it's not blaming the weapon. It's an acknowledgment that more people get mowed down when a semi automatic is in the hands of someone evil than a revolver does.

I'm not saying ban the weapon, but maybe there's more stringent licensing, and those caught with weapons who don't have the licensing pay a more severe price?

I'm at a loss for an answer. Our society has done a great job at taking God and shame out of our society, and I think having both of those things is a better solution, but how do we get that back?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #111
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Heard this guy should not have gotten a gun, but the Navy screwed up something?

Last edited by Tom; 11-07-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #112
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Heard this guy should not have gotten a gun, but the Navy screwed up something?
He was discharged by the Air Force for domestic violence. The military is supposed to notify the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) of such actions. The Air Force failed to do so.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/...m-says-report/
Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #113
Clocker

It turns out the "good guy with a gun" had one of those evil assault weapons.

Quote:
During today’s press conference about the Texas mass shooting, the regional director of the Texas Department of Public Safety indicated that the Texas Good Samaritan, Stephen Willeford, engaged the Sutherland Springs shooter with his own AR:

“He armed himself with an AR assault rifle and engaged the suspect. They engaged in gunfire here at the church. We know that the suspect was shot, when he dropped his assault rifle and jumped in his Ford Expedition and fled the scene.”
https://hotair.com/headlines/archive...rings-shooter/
Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #114
Clocker

Quote:
He was discharged by the Air Force for domestic violence. The military is supposed to notify the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) of such actions. The Air Force failed to do so.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/...m-says-report/
Upon further review, the Air Force may not have screwed up. Very few military crimes are being reported to the FBI NICS database because the military and the feds apparently speak different languages.

The military has no charge for domestic violence and just calls it assault. And the shooter was given a bad conduct discharge, not a dishonorable discharge, and the law is unclear about the need to report the former.

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/mili...ic-abuse-nics/
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #115
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Maybe the two sides should meet in the middle instead of feet planted firmly wide apart.

I think we can support the right to bear arms while also supporting trying to reduce the incidents where innocents are mowed down.
Reasonable, common-sense comments.

Didn't take long for Clocker to jump on you for them.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #116
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Reasonable, common-sense comments.

Didn't take long for Clocker to jump on you for them.
Jump on him?

I pointed out logically some reasons why the comments were neither common sense nor workable.

And to explain further, it is highly unlikely that the two sides can "meet in the middle" when many on the left openly advocate banning civilian ownership of guns, period, and give no indication of willingness to back down. And when many on the right are equally convinced that we don't need any more gun control laws because the ones we have are oppressive and don't work, and that there is no indication that more laws will work any better.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #117
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
And to explain further, it is highly unlikely that the two sides can "meet in the middle" when many on the left openly advocate banning civilian ownership of guns, period, and give no indication of willingness to back down.
Please name me a member of Congress who has advocated this.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #118
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Please name me a member of Congress who has advocated this.
I never said any member of Congress advocated this, at least not in public. Most members, even on the left, are smart enough to know it can't be done, and advocating it would often be political suicide.

Many have advocated a ban on ownership of "assault weapons", whatever those are. Diane Feinstein and, as Veep, Joe Biden come immediately to mind.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #119
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
I never said any member of Congress advocated this, at least not in public. Most members, even on the left, are smart enough to know it can't be done, and advocating it would often be political suicide.
So... then what's your point? You said there can be no meeting in the middle because "many" on the left want guns banned. Then you say that no left-member of Congress believes this could even be done, let alone advocates it.

So how does this prevent meeting in the middle?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #120
garyscpa

Quote:
Upon further review, the Air Force may not have screwed up. Very few military crimes are being reported to the FBI NICS database because the military and the feds apparently speak different languages.

The military has no charge for domestic violence and just calls it assault. And the shooter was given a bad conduct discharge, not a dishonorable discharge, and the law is unclear about the need to report the former.

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/mili...ic-abuse-nics/
Good job, Air Force.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply