Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #46
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
yes...I used to live in northern NJ..
For ez pass holders these are the prices.
For the George Washington Bridge which gets you across the Hudson into Manhattan( Cross Bronx Expressway) the peak time toll is $9.
This collected one way.
Now, to get to Long Island where Belmont is located, one must also cross the East River. The toll to use those crossings is $5.76 . This collected EACH way.
now, for those poor slobs who have disdained the ez pass ,,it gets better.( worse)..The GWB is FOURTEEN bucks...The MTA bridges colect $8.50 EACH WAY!
so with the ez pass discount. one still is in the hole TWENTY bucks...This is before they pay to park, gas, program and or Form....
Suffice to say, if one lives in NJ, Upstate NY or CT, they are out Thirty dollars before they sit down to start handicapping the races.
if I lived up there, I'd be betting from home. I would go on very rare occasions.
And I used to LIVE at Belmont. Especially during the fall Champ Meet.
The problem with this argument is there are probably 10 million people Manhattan and on Long Island who can access the track either with cheappublic transportation or no bridge toll.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #47
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
I generally go to Belmont a few times a week. The reason it is basically an empty facility goes back to decisions made years ago.I agree, being located in a large metropolitan area it should draw more, but it is not going to happen. Horseracing is an off-track game. Most people who live more than an hour away are not going to attend. Admission,decent parking and programs are an expense, that most patrons do not want to pay. Also,the off track program sent into our computers and homes makes it very easy to not attend. In my opinion racing has made its off track program, far superior to its on track product.
How much is admission there? 2 bucks? People pay more than that for a bottle of water at Coney Island.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #48
hracingplyr

Amish

speaking of the Amish.

Whats clippity-clop bang bang clippity-clop bang bang?

Bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #49
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr View Post
speaking of the Amish.

Whats clippity-clop bang bang clippity-clop bang bang?

Bob
Amish drive by shooting.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #50
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
How much is admission there? 2 bucks? People pay more than that for a bottle of water at Coney Island.
Admission is $5.00. Preferred parking is $3.00.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #51
hracingplyr

Great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Amish drive by shooting.
Great job, if you ever get to Tampa Bay Downs or Derby Lane sometime let me know, I will buy u a beer.

bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #52
SG4

Quote:
The problem with this argument is there are probably 10 million people Manhattan and on Long Island who can access the track either with cheappublic transportation or no bridge toll.
Can I make a fair guess that you've never tried to take public transportation from anywhere in the NYC metropolitan area to Belmont? You might be able to get there cheaply with public transportation, but it's not exactly a convenient experience.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #53
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
Admission is $5.00. Preferred parking is $3.00.
That's still tiny. Admission at Santa Anita is $5 and preferred parking $10 ( general is $4), and it's $6 and $25 at Del Mar (general parking $10).

Horse racing is among the cheapest forms of entertainment. Anyone who can't get anyone to the track in a metropolitan area of 20 million is failing at their job.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #54
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Can I make a fair guess that you've never tried to take public transportation from anywhere in the NYC metropolitan area to Belmont? You might be able to get there cheaply with public transportation, but it's not exactly a convenient experience.
I've taken from Manhattan- it is easy, convenient and not expensive in my view- but from LI you probably need to take a train to Jamaica then transfer. I don't think lack of accessibility is the reason attendance is so weak.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #55
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
I do it every time I am back in NY and want to go to Belmont. It's easy. Hop the LIRR.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #56
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I do it every time I am back in NY and want to go to Belmont. It's easy. Hop the LIRR.
Doesn't that involve some bus rides? You done it lately?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #57
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The last time I did it, I remember there was limited service to the station at the track. Something like 2 trains a day. If you didn't catch one there was a bus ride.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #58
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
No bus needed so long as you take the LIRR from Penn Station, and catch the two trains that run directly to the West end of the Belmont grandstand. The rail line is a spur off the main line- either Hempstead Line or Port Jefferson line.

There are a few stations on the main LIRR lines that are within 2 miles of the track- Queens Village, Bellerose, Floral Park.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #59
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
No bus needed so long as you take the LIRR from Penn Station, and catch the two trains that run directly to the West end of the Belmont grandstand. The rail line is a spur off the main line- either Hempstead Line or Port Jefferson line.

There are a few stations on the main LIRR lines that are within 2 miles of the track- Queens Village, Bellerose, Floral Park.
They used too call it the Belmont Special, probably still do, from the east you can take a bus along hempstead Ave.

The big thing i think, is that there are no operating otbs in nyc anymore. Did those people find something else to do? All that unsophisticated money-gone. I don't think many of them entered the computer age.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #60
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
They used too call it the Belmont Special, probably still do, from the east you can take a bus along hempstead Ave.

The big thing i think, is that there are no operating otbs in nyc anymore. Did those people find something else to do? All that unsophisticated money-gone. I don't think many of them entered the computer age.
Playing from home? It is pretty darn easy to do. I do it in my boxer shorts most days.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: