Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #1261
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus1083
CJ,

What is the long term vision for this partnership with DRF? While TFUS is a dependable mobile solution, DRF still has work to do in that department. Will this relationship introduce gradual changes to the regular DRF product over time to make it more modern and mobile device friendly? Also, is this partnership designed to slowly provide DRF customers an introduction to the TFUS figures, with an eye on perhaps replacing Beyers completely a few years down the line?

Not trying to be coy here, I really don't know. That is way above my pay grade. Nothing has changed for me other than doing the webinar the other day so far.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #1262
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Not trying to be coy here, I really don't know. That is way above my pay grade. Nothing has changed for me other than doing the webinar the other day so far.
I hope the "pay grade" went up as well. You deserve it.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #1263
headhawg
crusty old guy

While I'm happy for CJ as he seems to be as stand-up kind of guy as there is in this industry, I'm a big believer that competition brings out the best products. I'm not sure that the DRF purchase of TFUS will actually benefit the consumer. I am relating this to things like computer operating systems (M$, Apple) or cable providers (Comcast, AT&T). With the lack of viable choices, the consumer loses out either through poor customer service, less-than-stellar products, and higher prices (e.g., print copy of the DRF).

Time will tell.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #1264
hracingplyr

I

Agree with you 100%. I will give DRF around 6 mths before they jack up the price of Timeform to the same price as Formulator.

bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #1265
jeebus1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
While I'm happy for CJ as he seems to be as stand-up kind of guy as there is in this industry, I'm a big believer that competition brings out the best products. I'm not sure that the DRF purchase of TFUS will actually benefit the consumer. I am relating this to things like computer operating systems (M$, Apple) or cable providers (Comcast, AT&T). With the lack of viable choices, the consumer loses out either through poor customer service, less-than-stellar products, and higher prices (e.g., print copy of the DRF).

Time will tell.
I have to believe that DRF wouldn't have forged this relationship with TFUS if they didn't see any value in that product. There are several areas in which TFUS excels where DRF lacks, so the partnership will likely plug some of those gaps over the course of time. Big things often don't happen overnight, so expect any changes to gradually roll out so not to upset the apple cart.
jeebus1083 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #1266
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus1083
I have to believe that DRF wouldn't have forged this relationship with TFUS if they didn't see any value in that product.
You missed the point of my post. Of course DRF sees value, but DRF <> consumer.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #1267
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Could drf had purchased the product too slowly fade it out to protect their product? Unless there going to make a formulator style TimeFormUS product I don't see how this benefits them at all. They seemed to be doing very well on their own and had the promoting of TVG too!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #1268
JimG

This reminds me of when WWF bought WCW.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #1269
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Could drf had purchased the product too slowly fade it out to protect their product? Unless there going to make a formulator style TimeFormUS product I don't see how this benefits them at all. They seemed to be doing very well on their own and had the promoting of TVG too!
Somebody cash in?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #1270
cato
Irrationally exuberant

Hey if the economics work - buy the competition. Then there is no rush to do much of anything... uh, I mean they will have sufficient time to adequately analyze the strengths and weaknesses of TFUS and how best to incorporate the strengths of TFUS into the already fantastic DRF product...

It will be interesting to see how this develops. The podcast last week was good and helpful but I was a little surprised when the speakers suggested it was a great thing to be able to have BOTH speed figures available...so buy BOTH products. I translated that to mean "we (DRF) know that TFUS is really good and we were scared s*****ss of what it might have done to our business so we bought the damn thing but have no idea what to do with it." something like that.

It really would be swell if they would do some morphing of Formulator and TFUS and made Formulator behave a little better... but I am not making any bets on what they do...

All the best to CJ and everyone at TFUS for putting this together and making a success of it. I hope DRF will listen and learn from the TFUS folks!
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2017, 01:38 AM   #1271
CincyHorseplayer

This is fantastic. Love DRF and think of CJ like a horseplaying brother! Congrats!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #1272
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
TFUS has been well received from its beginning, though I've always felt they limited themselves, greatly, right out of the gate by targeting only tablet users. Offered, too, for phone users at first, this didn't last--if I recall. The pps were too vast for such a small device.

I don't see, "we're (DRF) gonna spend a lot of money to purchase this product/this company only to kill it down the road to ensure our own place at the top."

DRF/Formulator is still the most widely used of past performance offerings and TVG is not strong enough to carry TFUS, as far as an advertising outlet, IMO. To do what you're suggesting on DRF's part isn't a smart business model, not in any way. It would anger and alienate a lot of current and potential customers. To work on a study, tweaking the two products, to possibly merge, highlight, and include the best points of each at a greater offer? Yes, I see this as an option. However, much has changed since Beyers were introduced so many years ago. And this is one thing at the corporate level, (at least, most) that we can be sure of--change. Also, in today's era--inclusion of new, modern technology is introduced and incorporated, daily. .... I think I did read that things will continue for TFUS with the same format for now. But again, mergers bring change.

There has been crossover of employees between DRF and TFUS. In all likelihood, each person involved has the experience, and the opportunity to share input, creating a finer product. I wish both companies well, having joined together to move forward, creating a larger employee base.

All of my thoughts, gentlemen, I have to add, hinge on my signature sign-off regarding all matters TFUS ...."keep my condensed figures."
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #1273
Delta Cone

It looks like DRF has taken away a feature on the TimeformUS free races of the day.

In the past, when viewing the races of the day, you could access the charts. This of course meant you could (through a series of clicks) go to any chart in the database and get any speed or pace figure you wanted for any race you wanted.

The free races of the day no longer include this...you can see PPs, but no charts....just an error message.

I realize that TimeformUS was giving away the store for people patient enough to click through all of the charts. It was probably something that needed to be stopped. But I don't have to like it.

At any rate, I certainly understand the decision and it won't affect my high opinion of the product. It feels a bit like when I used to sneak on to the golf course through a hole in the fence and play a few holes...TimeformUS fixed the fence.
Delta Cone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #1274
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Cone View Post
It looks like DRF has taken away a feature on the TimeformUS free races of the day.

In the past, when viewing the races of the day, you could access the charts. This of course meant you could (through a series of clicks) go to any chart in the database and get any speed or pace figure you wanted for any race you wanted.

The free races of the day no longer include this...you can see PPs, but no charts....just an error message.

I realize that TimeformUS was giving away the store for people patient enough to click through all of the charts. It was probably something that needed to be stopped. But I don't have to like it.

At any rate, I certainly understand the decision and it won't affect my high opinion of the product. It feels a bit like when I used to sneak on to the golf course through a hole in the fence and play a few holes...TimeformUS fixed the fence.
People were using the free races, or even buying one card, to access the charts and then using scrapers to get all charts. It was slowing down the site noticeably. That is why it was stopped.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #1275
Gentz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin View Post
Now just do csv files and we're all good
I'm with you 100%..
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
quick, timeform adjustment

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: