Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #46
Dream_Police

Baffert said he plans to have one more work on the 4th if all goes well before shipping out to New York. And yes that work was even more impressive in person. it reminded me of the way Pharoah just glided over the track before the Derby.
Before the skeptics start I understand CD is not Belmont but to see a horse go so effortlessly over the track like Justify did I believe shows he is ready for the show on the 9th.
Dream_Police is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #47
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
can ya'll post link to the bath video? My eyes are bothering me today and I think I got a touch of poison ivy on my leg, so not real "sharp" today to go on a search.
Click, it was at xbtv. I saw it thru their Facebook page.

Go and get Tecnu at Walgreen right away for the poison ivy. If used early it will keep you out of your doctor's office and off of prednisone. .... I get wrapped up with poison ivy even by the wind carrying it. Tecnu has helped.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #48
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Click, it was at xbtv. I saw it thru their Facebook page.

Go and get Tecnu at Walgreen right away for the poison ivy. If used early it will keep you out of your doctor's office and off of prednisone. .... I get wrapped up with poison ivy even by the wind carrying it. Tecnu has helped.
Thank you, Grits, for BOTH peices of advice.

All the forest service guys swear by the Tecnu, so I will pick some up today!
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #49
GMB@BP

I dont even know why were talking about Justify and how he is working.

Everyone knows he is the best 3yo...only question is if the 12F is too much, or if he just has had too much racing. These little 4F works are not going to answer either, at least in my view. I suppose if he refused to work or went in 50 and change.

I know this may be a minority view.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #50
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

Everyone knows he is the best 3yo...only question is if the 12F is too much, or if he just has had too much racing. These little 4F works are not going to answer either, at least in my view. I suppose if he refused to work or went in 50 and change.

I know this may be a minority view.
I don't think you have a minority view, not at all. Countless horses have outrun their pedigree so, personally, I don't worry about that part. I do think a lot about what he has done since debuting the middle of February. ... This five week period has gotten many, it can also get Justify. Fresh horses have foiled TC bids.

I do pay attention, though, to these works and how a horse looks on the track leading to the big races.

I'm not a pretty pony person....who fawns over everything she sees. And then fades as soon as the Triple Crown has passed. I don't think there are many of those here.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #51
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
watch him during his bath yesterday a.m.? Does all look well and right to you?
Was definitely favoring that left hoof and resting on his toe for the most part. That sprinting workout could have upset the pain in the bruise. Could also be in part due to habit. This was one of the reasons he didn't start until February of 3yo. He's had cracks and pain there since they first started to get him to the races as a 2yo. He ran on that problem for 4 races including the Santa Anita Derby and a hot-paced, sloppy Kentucky Derby. The shoe-work following the Derby was probably the best solution he has had to date.

It's enough to keep an eye on at this point for any obvious problems or strange change of plans (Baffert decided to match AP's work schedule, so we now expect another 4F work on Mondy June 1), but I think his issues are for now well-enough controlled and you are able to see some symptoms of the underlying issues.

Reading these boards it sometimes seems that not everyone is aware of the serious issues that Justify faced, and how fragile these animals are in general, and how much in doubt even the Preakness was for Justify during a window of maybe 24 hours or so.
- That, or the favorite medium of discussion is contrarianism, and there's a trolling element to create and keep that atmosphere going

We've got careful analysis on the exact speed and the energy distribution of the work. We've got comparison between the exact body of work that one of the best and most efficient horses in recent era (American Pharoah) ran in 2015...

But, I'm with you on the same page here; - where I used to easily see this handsome blur of muscle striding along, I can't help but watch his heel for the first viewing or two, along with any walking or bathing. Then I can consciously 'zoom-out' and watch him really move again. This is a good horse and if his issues are well-controlled, then only something very random, or something truly heroic and unexpected from a rival can beat him.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #52
letswastemoney

I was at Churchill this morning, and Justify does like to rest on his toes when he takes a bath. But I'm just a handicapper, so I don't know. Probably a normal thing.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #53
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post

Even if he's the best 3yo, he still has to be in one piece physically. And while a slow or botched work might suggest physical problems at the time of said work, a fast or too fast work might put him at risk for injury or subsequent failure.

Funny Cide worked a ridiculous :57+ for 5 furlongs a few days before his Triple Crown bid and went straight to the front and couldn't settle in the Belmont, ultimately giving way at the top of the stretch.

Justify won the Kentucky Derby after a ridiculous half mile, and could barely walk the next day. He recovered and won the Preakness while part of another demanding pace.

Maybe Justify's physical issues have healed (doubtful in the face of continued racing and training) or are simply not severe enough to hinder performance, but he has yet to show that he can settle into a slow pace, either up front or stalking.

Simply put, the slowest pace he is willing to go may be too fast to win a race like the Belmont Stakes. Certainly a bullet half-mile doesn't suggest otherwise.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #54
letswastemoney

Here is a pic of Justify I took this morning. He does rest on his back right toe at some points during the bath, not that I would know if it means anything.

If he's in the Belmont, then he's good to go!

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-09-2018 at 02:20 PM.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #55
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Here is a pic of Justify I took this morning. He does rest on his back right toe at some points during the bath, not that I would know if it means anything.

If he's in the Belmont, then he's good to go!

Almost all race horses stand similar to that while doing what he is doing. And they typically switch back and forth as well when the groom goes to the other side. In this picture the problem foot is the one bearing the weight which tells you there is no problem as of this picture
You can see the patch on the inside off his left hoof. .
Thanks for posting the picture.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-09-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #56
Grits

Thanks for posting the photo, Lwm, and for commenting, Ruffian. ;-)