Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 05-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Friday, May 25

Race One:

Two horses stand out. 2 SAMIS ROLIN STONE. Easy winner, last week. Perfect trip. Should… I repeat: “Should” be sitting on a similar trip. Driver-switch to the trainer, Dewayne Minor. Minor’s driven in the Hambletonian. In 2000, he piloted Legendary Lover K (he finished 6th). The “other” horse is 5 DIAMONDSTONEDUST US. He finished 2nd to the top choice. Dave Miller drove last week. This week, it’s “The Thunder from Down Under,” Andy McCarthy. The trotter’s trainer is “The Man from Mount Isa City,” Queensland, Australia, Noel Daley. G’day, Mates! If this Wishing Stone-bred (all five starters were sired by Wishing Stone) filly can “get the drop” on the #2 coming off the starter’s car, it then becomes a tactical race. Either one of the top two choices have got to have some speed left for the finish. If you’re looking at a trifecta, I’d say the rail horse, 1 TAKE A WISH. If, for any reason, either of the top two picks falter, this guy “can do”. Steve Smith is in the bike for trainer Dawn Anderson.

Race Two:

It’s “Hot to Trot” time -- I don’t just mean the weather -- the GSY amateur series. So many imponderables (If you’re playing “Survivor,” I’d consider “loading up” in this race). Gee, I can make a case for several horses. 2 ROCKIN REDFORD has faced better. Post position relief. Hard to quantify, but he’s overdue. This fella inhaled some of that salubrious East Rutherford, NJ air in his second-tier trip last time. Roy Marohn for owner-trainer Mark Ford. Then again, there’s “The Renaissance Man,” Peter Kleinhans (now a singer-songwriter). Kleinhans is driving the 7-year old Muscles Yankee-bred, 1 TOSS CARTWRIGHT. This guy finished 5th in his most recent start at the tight-turned half-mile oval called Yonkers Raceway. I believe it was a race this fella needed, his first pari-mutuel start off a layoff. In that “Ol’ Hilltop” try, this gelding turned in a solid effort, despite his off-the-board finish. He draws the rail. That should give Kleinhans all kinds of tactical options. If he works out the trip, watch out! 9 MULTITASKR HANOVER has a chance if the speed up front breaks down and race is turned over to "a closer". I know…driver Jennifer Lappe will be coming “from down-town Paterson”. But, this fella has a nice closing kick. Race circumstances will determine if this guy’s a factor, or not. Then, there’s Mr. Lee, as in Joseph Lee (If you remember that song from the 1950s by “The Bobbettes” you’re as old as I am. Yes – sin duda alguna (no doubt!) – the 10-hole is an impediment (he was assigned that post). It’s going to take some doing to overcome it. Much will be determined in the first ten to fifteen seconds. Yet, off last week’s win, I’ve got to consider: 10 GLOBAL REVOLUTION. The aforementioned Joe Lee drives for trainer Bob Bongiorno

Race Three:

New Jersey Sire Stakes. It’s the two Hambletonian eligibles. Do I stay with the tried and true, or do I take “a walk on the wild side”? That, my fellow harness racing prognosticators, is the question. I’m leaning toward 1 SHOSHI DEO. He won last week. He stays “flat”. He appears dependable. And…he has the services of “The Man from Monticello,” George Brennan. Dewayne Minor trains. This guy should be there. He draws inside in this 4-horse race. He must be seriously considered. “The “other” horse is 4 U NEED STONES. He grabbed the early lead last week, but he then went on a break. To his credit, he regrouped and finished 2nd. This Wishing Stone-bred does have the services of “Le Frelon Vert,” “The Green Hornet,” Yannick Gingras. Ron Burke of “The Burke Brigade” trains. If this fella stays “off the dance floor,” he’s got a shot. A serious shot. If he doesn’t… It’s win-betting only. No tri. I’d counsel you to consider multi-race wagering. Other: 2 Brutal Storm

Race Four:

Another short-field race. Two horses stick out. I’m making my top choice: 5 HYPNOTIC TALE. This gal put in a solid effort last week. She came on in deep stretch to win the first leg of this NJ Sire Stakes series. I believe she’s just warming up. I think she’s got more in the gas tank. As Al Jolson used to say, “What a minute, wait a minute, you ain’t heard (seen) nothing yet!” I believe that phrase fits this young lady…to a tee. “Buckeye,” Dave Miller, reprises the drive for Linda Toscano. The “other” horse is 2 HURRIKANE EMPRESS. She grabbed the lead on the back-straight, but was nailed at the wire by the aforementioned Hypnotic Tale. Monsieur Yannick Gingras de Sorel sur Saint Lawrence, Quebec, Canada, is in the bike. Other: 1 Cruzinforavictory.

Race Five:

4 FIRST CALL gets my tepid nod in this 3 & 4 year-olds trot. Frankly, I’m impressed with this Credit Winner-bred’s last two races at upstate New York’s Vernon Downs. Yet, I also see that in this gal’s two prior starts, she impersonated a “taxi dancer” in one of those “Dime-a-dance” joints that existed in the 1920s and 30s. Which First Call do we get? “Will the real First Call please stand up!” If she’s stays on gait, I believe she wins. Personally, I’m “buying insurance”. Homer Hochstetler drives and trains. Others: 5 ZEPHYR KRONOS; 3 PERFECT SUMMER K; 9 CREDSICONE.

Race Six:

1 SAIL TO THE BEACH ships across the Hudson from the “Saw Mill River Parkway,” a.k.a. Yonkers Raceway. This Somebeachsomewhere-bred performed ably there; yet she did not garner a win. This gal now draws inside. She has the tactical speed to find an upfront spot to put her in position for her late-closing “pouncing” style. The purple-and-white Dave Miller silks should be coming on – with a rush --- in deep stretch. Rich Bilach trains. Others: 6 Freakonomics; 4 Ella Christina; 2 Heavens Dancer,

Race Seven:

1 ROLL WITH ANN got fanned three-wide in the Yonkers stretch last time. This gal now draws the inside. That certainly enhances her chances. Do I hear “wake-up” call? A factor here with “Buckeye” in the bike. Ed Hart trains. Others:
4 Nancy Malinda; 2 Classic Chapel N; 3 Lost a Sock.

Race Eight:

That was some powerful mile 6 DOUBLE L LINDY ran last week. Jim Marohn, Jr. said, “Go!” in mid-stretch and this guy took off like “a bat out of….” This Muscles Yankee-bred was all business. This fella does step up here, that may pose more of a challenge. Yet any reprise of last week’s scintillating effort and this guy should once again find himself in the winner’s circle. This week, it’s “Team Orange Crush,” Andy in the bike, Julie trains. Others: 3 Pappy Go Go; 2 Gold Medal Swan; 5 Montalbano Bi

Race Nine:

It’s the Aussie Duo of Andy McCarthy and Noel Daley. Their charge, 7 TYMAL REIGN. An uncharacteristic break in her first pari-mutuel start off a layoff. She’s faced better in the past. My concern: Is she ready? Post #7 doesn’t help. I’d expect A-Mac to have this gal in the mix early. If she has the stamina, she’s definitely “a player” To paraphrase a Clairol commercial of days gone by, “Only her trainer knows, for sure.” I’ll say, Yes!” Others: 2, Fiji; 1 Its Chocolate Time; 6 Party On The River

Race 10:

Big switch here from trainer to one of the best drivers: “The Orange Crush,” Andy Miller. That should make a big difference. You’ve probably deduced, I’m picking 2 VICTORY AT LAST. Good starting post. Speedy sort. This should be his spot. This guy will likely be sent to the top. It’ll then be up to Miller to rate this fella and ration out of his speed. If all goes well, it’ll be picture-taking time. Ivan Lopez trains. Others: 7 FRANKANDJOANNE; 5 WAKINYAN; 4 FOOL OF IDEAS.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

My value play is Race 9 #1 ITS CHOCOLATE TIME. Hasn’t had a half respectable driver since winning with Marcus back in March. Marohn is pretty good on trotters and Harmon takes over as trainer.
BaconLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

Hoping to find some value in the P4. Here goes:

1278/268/1247/1234

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
BaconLover
Formerly “Cyber”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconLover View Post
My value play is Race 9 #1 ITS CHOCOLATE TIME. Hasn’t had a half respectable driver since winning with Marcus back in March. Marohn is pretty good on trotters and Harmon takes over as trainer.
CHOCOLATE is being way overbet.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: