Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-11-2023, 05:14 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Point Given, 2001 HOY, dead at 25

https://paulickreport.com/horse-care...ies-at-age-25/

Quote:
Point Given, the 2001 Horse of the Year, passed away peacefully on Sept. 11 at 25 years old.

In 2017, the champion Thoroughbred became a resident of the Kentucky Horse Park's Hall of Champions, making him the fifth Horse of the Year to occupy the famous barn.

“Point Given was a special horse, loved by all, and a wonderful ambassador for the Kentucky Horse Park,” said Kentucky Horse Park president Lee Carter. “We are saddened by his passing but grateful for the memories created and our time with the 'Big Red Train.'”
Read the rest at the link above
Old 09-11-2023, 08:17 PM   #2
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

PG won a stakes at Turfway as a 2yo when I worked there. Was a fan going forward. His Belmont was pretty memorable.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2023, 09:44 PM   #3
Brass Hat

Sorry to read this, his Belmont and Travers were great races.

We saw him at Three Chimneys years ago and were allowed to watch him cover a mare. I was interested in finding out who the mare was but my question was interrupted by someone else on the tour and I never found out. He returned to his stall and had a conversation in horse language with the other stallions.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
LemonSoupKid

What a great horse. Of all those I lamented not being able to win the Derby and thus the triple crown, I think he may have been the best (incidentally I was at the 2001 Derby where he got 5th). In recent memory, Afleet Alex was part of that crowd but if pressed, I'd take Point Given I think over most all runners over the last 20+ years, even the ones that won the crown. Gary Stevens was quoted as saying he thought PG was the greatest horse to not win the TC.

I'm happy to have seen him and rooted him on, in any case, on all those wins!
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #5
Arapola

I forgive You PG for beating me and Touch Tone in the Haskell!
RIP Old Chum!
Arapola is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2023, 12:46 AM   #6
Bullet Plane

PG mysterious defeat in the Derby, that his jockey Stevens attributed to hoof issues. Always reminded me somewhat of Damascus who also somewhat mysteriously lost the Kentucky Derby and went on to win the next two, wirh a simular powerhouse victory in the Belmont stakes.
I thought PG loss was due to the fact that he was too close to a white hot pace that resulted in the closer Monarchos winning the race.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2023, 12:01 AM   #7
Inner Dirt

One of my too many to count Derby losers that redeemed themselves in the Preakness. I finally wised up and stop betting the Derby.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply