Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #91
Marshall Bennett

I'm sure living 8-12 to a single dwelling doesn't help matters. Much of China is uninhibited, so what remains is shared by 1.4 billion.
Not exactly conducive for damage control.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #92
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
new case reporting slowing down or getting sloppy

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...50-Yc6O9LJex6k
Gotta change those numbers so it lines up to 2% deaths.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #93
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Gotta change those numbers so it lines up to 2% deaths.
quite a few of those currently infected will move to the dead column
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #94
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Numbers starting to soar....this thing might be long from over.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #95
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
BBC News -
China coronavirus deaths and cases spike:

-jp

Old 02-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #96
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Always have been. Always will be.

Local TV station reporting Inovio Pharmaceuticals has created a coronavirus vaccine ready to undergo human trials.

San Diego lab discovers COVID-19 vaccine in 3 hours:
https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/he...3-910968abb04f

Quote:
Inovio Pharmaceuticals created a vaccine that is going through pre-clinical trials.

Author: Neda Iranpour (Reporter)
Published: 11:17 PM PST February 11, 2020
Updated: 5:24 AM PST February 12, 2020

SAN DIEGO — In a race against the clock, a San Diego lab is scrambling to get a COVID-19 vaccine out and on the market. As the days go by, Inovio Pharmaceuticals is getting closer to releasing the desperately needed vaccine against the deadly virus.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, which is located in Sorrento Valley, has also created a vaccine for the Zika virus, the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and the vaccine for Ebola.

RELATED: CDC cites label error in mixup involving San Diego COVID-19 patient

Dr. Trevor Smith, who is the director of research and development at Inovio, said, "It's something we are trained to do, and the infrastructure is here and the expertise is in house."

When Chinese scientists released the genetic sequence on Jan. 9, Inovio researchers got to work immediately and within 3 hours they had a vaccine for coronavirus, or COVID-19 as it is now being referred to.

"We have an algorithm which we designed, and we put the DNA sequence into our algorithm and came up with the vaccine in that short amount of time," said Dr. Smith.

Tens of thousands in China have been quarantined and continue to suffer from the virus. That’s why scientists at Inovio Pharmaceuticals say they feel the sense of urgency to get the vaccine out.

The vaccine has been tested on mice and guinea pigs. It will next be tried on a group of human patients.

-jp

Old 02-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #97
Marshall Bennett

Seems those passengers on the cruise ships have no one to blame but themselves. Taking a cruise where a potential epidemic exist isn't the brightest idea.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #98
MargieRose

Chinese are running the streets killing cats and dogs...pets, too.

They torture them, they eat them, and now they slaughter them. Do they even know the source of their damned disease?

Ignorant culture!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #99
46zilzal
velocitician

Viruses MUST be closely allied to their HOSTS or they would never be able to attack to, and ultimately invade host cells in order to "steal" their replication mechanism that the viruses just DO NOT HAVE. SO to kill vectors that are NOT genetically related is a waste of time and effort

If you or I would encounter the Rous Sarcoma virus for example would only invade chickens cells.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256973/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66842X19302203
Old 02-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #100
davew

I have taken pangolins and bats out of my diet and do not keep them for pets.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #101
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Seems those passengers on the cruise ships have no one to blame but themselves. Taking a cruise where a potential epidemic exist isn't the brightest idea.
That's like saying that the whole world should shut down all soccer stadiums because a couple soccer stadiums in Australia had a few cases of a disease.

This has been limited to the Asia-Pacific cruise market, and only a handful of ships. At any one time there are over 200 cruise ships operating on the seas.

Wife and I are embarking next week from Miami for a 10-day Caribbean cruise. Our ship is currently on the seas and I will certainly keep tabs on it if it comes down with any cases, but we're going, as long as it embarks.

If half the passengers cancels, so what, that's more room for us. Even if a few cases of the disease breaks out, and we have to stay onboard for a month, there are worse things than being on a cruise ship for 30 days with free food and booze (quarantined ships are permitted to re-fuel and restock).
Room service in a balcony room with wide-screen TV and an ocean view—sign me up!

Our cruise line has recently sent us the following:

In light of the coronavirus outbreak in China, XXX Cruises has taken precautionary measures for the health and well-being of its guests and crew on all of its global fleet. XXX Cruises has undertaken a series of actions since January 24, and due to the latest coronavirus developments, is currently implementing additional public health measures across its fleet.

While there are no cases of coronavirus on board any of XXX Cruises’ ships the measures are additional steps to secure the health and well-being of all guests and crew.

• Guests from all nationalities are required to fill out a pre-embarkation questionnaire and anyone who has traveled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 30 days, or visited or transited via airports, will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such passengers’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a stateroom);
• Mandatory non-touch thermal scans conducted for all guests and crew prior to embarkation for every cruise operated by the company anywhere in the world, and passengers with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied embarkation. The same rules apply to their travel companions;
• Anyone who, within 14 days before embarkation, has had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to novel coronavirus, will be denied boarding;
• Elevated deep-sanitation on every ship in the line’s entire fleet;
• Passengers with a Chinese passport who have not traveled from or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau, in the past 30 days, and who are in good health, can access the ship. However, authorities in certain countries are temporarily not allowing holders of a Chinese passport to travel into their territories. At the date of publishing, holders of Chinese passports are not allowed to travel into: Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysian ports and Thailand. This list may change based on future government regulations;
• If guests develop fever symptoms once on board, they will be isolated in their stateroom, and the same measure applies for their close contacts, including guests staying in the same stateroom and family members, as well as any crew member who may have served these guests. Please note this is a preventative measure and we have no cases on board.
• Everyone on board can have their temperature checked at the Medical Center.

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus in China, XXX Cruises has been closely monitoring the public health and safety situation in each of the regions its ships sail. The company has been consulting with international and local health authorities to follow their advice and recommendations.

NEW TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS ADDED

UPDATE: FEBRUARY 7, 2020

XXX is taking these precautionary steps regarding the Coronavirus:
• Guests who have traveled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 30 days will be denied boarding (the same rule applies to all travel companions);
• Guests who have passed through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau airports will be denied boarding (the same rule applies to all travel companions);
• Guests with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied boarding (the same rule applies to all travel companions);
• Anyone who has close contact with, or helped care for anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus within 14 days before their cruise will be denied boarding;
• Anyone who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to novel coronavirus will be denied boarding;
• Guests from all nationalities are required to fill out a pre-embarkation questionnaire;
• Mandatory non-touch thermal scans conducted for all guests and crew prior to embarkation for every cruise;
• Elevated deep-sanitation on every ship in XXX's fleet;
• While sailing, guests who may have fever symptoms will be isolated to their stateroom, including guests staying in the same stateroom.

Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #102
sandpit

I own a travel agency, so needless to say, I'm getting inundated with updates and info from both cruise lines and land tour operators. Luckily, most of my business is Europe/Caribbean/Mexico, with some Africa thrown in. Right now, if someone asked me about traveling to China or anywhere in that region, I'd be hesitant to send them. That said, my niece (who didn't book her trip with me) decided to go to Shanghai and is there now. Not a really bright move, but she didn't ask my advice (family makes for lousy clients) .

Side note: once the Coronavirus was deemed an epidemic, travel insurance will not cover any losses as a result of it. It's really up to the cruise company to deem how they will take care of the people on board. Princess will likely be the most generous, they usually are in any bad situation.

Another side note: if this keeps up, it might be a good time to buy stock in some of these cruise lines. They could potentially take a big hit this year, but the cruise industry is booming overall.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #103
woodtoo

I just watched the strangest video from China off James Woods Twitter feed.
3 police in surgical garb walking the street with guns drawn.

Last edited by woodtoo; 02-13-2020 at 07:26 PM.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #104
Marshall Bennett

REDBOARD : My post was in regards to the ships currently in quarantine, not the entire world fleet of cruise ships.
Also your analogy comparing soccer stadiums to this virus is dumb, and isn't similar in any way to what I posted.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #105
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
I just watched the strangest video from China off James Woods Twitter feed.
3 police in surgical garb walking the street with guns drawn.
They're shooting dogs.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply