Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Been looking at this race for a while now, trying to figure out how good Magic Wand is. Did not remember seeing the word "about" in the PP. Of course, its not there. May be the purse is about $1,000,000 also.
Hopefully it is wrong info on the GP site and not what they are actually going to do.

They used "about" purses since the inception of the Pegasus races, this year they are actually right.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #32
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Don’t get it either. The only thing I’m upset about is the state of this game. That race is now a 3 million, grade 3. Look at the entrants.

Furthermore, it’s not science but the evidence and common theme here is these horses are not sound. It’s not the Lasix or the whip, the track or voodoo for that matter. There is clearly a problem with these horses legs. What are they gonna do now? Breed more Omaha Beaches? Hurt every 3 races. Lesser horses don’t get the scrutiny or rest . Start with biologist and breeding experts cause every day it gets more obvious. You got a soundness problem . Most likely genetic.
I completely disagree! The introduction of any type of drug into the horse during its racing life will in fact negatively affect its genetic code and be passed on to its progeny.

Why do you suppose the Europeans are so strict with their drug regulations as related to racing and future breeding. It seems to be working, especially when you consider the distances that some of their races are without breakdowns. Even in Hong Kong where they don’t do any breeding have “0” tolerance for drug use in race horses.

Someday the breeders here will wake-up. Until they do the horses bred will continue to suffer the consequences.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #33
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
I completely disagree! The introduction of any type of drug into the horse during its racing life will in fact negatively affect its genetic code and be passed on to its progeny.

Why do you suppose the Europeans are so strict with their drug regulations as related to racing and future breeding. It seems to be working, especially when you consider the distances that some of their races are without breakdowns. Even in Hong Kong where they don’t do any breeding have “0” tolerance for drug use in race horses.

Someday the breeders here will wake-up. Until they do the horses bred will continue to suffer the consequences.
I agree with most of this.

But I really can't blame breeders here in the US for producing horses made of glass.

But if buyers paying exorbitant prices for these horses at auction would start to wake up --

I think breeders would start emphasizing soundness.

I also think it falls on The Jockey Club to get things moving in the right direction.

A graded stakes series for five year olds and up at route distances across multiple tracks might help get the ball rolling.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-24-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #34
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Well, not really, they just use a 600 foot run up!

(That is actually true )
600 feet!
Is it like a relay race, with quarter horses starting and then handing of the whips to the thoroughbreds?
Old 01-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
600 feet!
Is it like a relay race, with quarter horses starting and then handing of the whips to the thoroughbreds?
They don't admit it, but it is true. It is why you see some of the races listed with "0" run up for the 7.5f races. They report run ups that have been proven false so Equibase doesn't report them.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #36
jay68802

Know I am going to be betting, using the Pegasus as a spread race. Do not like Mucho Gusto as the default favorite. Going to use

About
About
About
About
About
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Attached Images
File Type: png PegasusML.png (1.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #38
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I agree with most of this.

But I really can't blame breeders here in the US for producing horses made of glass.

But if buyers paying exorbitant prices for these horses at auction would start to wake up --

I think breeders would start emphasizing soundness.

I also think it falls on The Jockey Club to get things moving in the right direction.

A graded stakes series for five year olds and up at route distances across multiple tracks might help get the ball rolling.

-jp

Other than simulcasting, the biggest change in the economics of the sport from the golden age until now was that while back in the day, many of the top owners had breeding operations, nowadays, most of them buy from sales.

If you had a large breeding operation and bred a lot of homebreds, you could afford to wait. You weren't selling so many of stud fees or yearlings, so you could afford to keep intact horses running longer. And you weren't trying to recover gigantic sales prices, so you didn't necessarily have to race to the track.

In that economic model, longer careers for intact male horses are at least somewhat common.

But if the elite owners are buying from sales, it is completely the opposite. First, keeping any sort of a valuable stud on the track any longer than you need to in order to establish his value is taking a huge risk. The horse could get hurt or even have to be put down, and even short of that, each season you run the horse, you give up hundreds of thousands of dollars in stud fees and/or perhaps millions of dollars in yearling sales prices.

Second, you need to get back the cost of expensive yearlings as quickly as possible, even if it comes to the detriment of the length of the horse's career.

It would be really, really difficult to recenter these incentives, at least unless and until there's a crash of yearling values and stud fees- and there's no sign of one.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #39
clicknow

Quote:
Know I am going to be betting, using the Pegasus as a spread race.
I would say that is a good idea.
Horses running w/out lasix, who have always had it, not a race I will be risking my $ on. Spread with some big longshots in there is best way to go here.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #40
clicknow

Quote:
Know I am going to be betting, using the Pegasus as a spread race. Do not like Mucho Gusto as the default favorite. Going to use

About
About
About
About
About

If playing a superfecta I would use the and the with and higher up

I actually don't like Tax here at all. Doesn't seem fit to me based on his last race and work patterns. And only way I could use the is hoping his class helps him here but he's seen his better days in the rearview IMHO. Due to the lasix situation this is an "on paper only" for me.

Last edited by clicknow; 01-25-2020 at 09:28 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #41
Blenheim
Race Player

Diamonds and Taxes

Looks like a wide open race w/the loss of the top two. Diamond Oops has had a few wins at Gulfstream, but I think Tax is the class of the field. Would be good to see Biancone win one . . .

Box

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #42
coachv30

I like the the

I will box in both the Exacta and Trifecta as well as $10 WIN on for the value.

Good Luck Everyone!
Old 01-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #43
groupie doll

I'm going with Higher Power in the Pegasus. He won't be any value with the scratches, but he fast, classy and the connections have had this race on the radar for awhile and he's been preparing beautifully. ftw

others I like on the undercard-

race 6: exacta box- like Atomic Blonde here. Will use the defensively due to projected pace.

race 8: Mean Mary- hoping for a gate to wire effort

race 10: taking a shot with Salute the Colonel

race 11: stubbornly betting Arklow because I am a fan. This is shorter than his best trip and he's got work to do to beat the likes of Magic Wand and Co. If Instilled Regard is double digit odds come PT then I might throw a little on him too.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #44
biggestal99

tax

Loves the distance and has a win with no lasix.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #45
cutchemist42

I think the Red Knight is too short of a price here in the 10th. Going with American Tattoo for the win.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply