Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
chrisforbes
FemaleJockeys

Retired Interview With Karen Rogers I just posted

It's long, but it's a great interview where she talks about her career and her new book she just put out

http://femalejockeys.com/Karen%20Rogers.htm

Chris
chrisforbes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Suff
Beat up 💪

Heartbreaking

FOTH: Before I go any further, I want to touch on something bad that was happening to you at this time. You were being raped—and you were underage. Did you block this out and just concentrate on being a jockey? How hard was this to write about?

KR: At the time, I pretended it wasn't happening. I was good at blocking things out to survive. This is not unusual for kids who are raped. Becoming a great jockey was an obsession, a way to become something—not the "bad" person I believed that I was. I think most people who are driven to succeed at any cost are overcoming low self-esteem. This is what drove me beyond what is normal—and the reason for my extreme focus, extreme drive, lack of fear, and ultimate success as a jockey. Years later, when I was so far down—depressed, suicidal, and drinking—facing and writing about what happened when I was young is what led to my healing. I also realized that writing how I felt about the abuse, the dark path it took me down, and my eventual healing would help many others who were still suffering the emotional and lasting aftereffects of childhood abuse. Consequently, not only was writing this painful part of my story healing, but it gave writing about it a higher purpose—to help others to face their own pain, which is a necessary part of healing.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Thank You Karen

Inspiring as well.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #4
CheckMark

She wrote a book called "Racing With My Shadow". It talks about "the personal and professional life of one of the first successful female jockeys takes the reader on a wild ride of both tragedy and triumph. Experience the highs and lows in the life of a leading jockey as well as understand the pain and despair of a dysfunctional childhood and the addictions and toxic relationships it fosters. This psychological journey, which is fast-paced, captivating, honest, and entertaining, inspires hope for those who have endured a difficult past."

Old 02-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
chrisforbes
FemaleJockeys

the book is a great, must read for anyone into horse racing.

Chris
chrisforbes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply