Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #1
letswastemoney

Everyone on Facebook tries too hard to lecture others

Overall, Facebook is a good way to connect with people. The IM feature makes it almost redundant to have regular phone texting because it's the same thing.

For the most part, I enjoy reading about people lives. If I see a post about horse picks, video games, movies they recently watched...hell even posts about people's families and friends, it's great. I enjoy some parts.

Here is my one annoyance with Facebook though...

Almost everyone is too eager to lecture you on racism, sexism and politics in general.

I get caught up in politics too with Trump posts, but the constant lectures on those topics can be tiring when you read it every day and when 20 people want to repost the same meme trying to point out why this group is being mistreated, or why the President sucks, or why white people are the most evil humans.

I can't stand posts like those. Yes, topics such racism and sexism are important, but it's tiring to receive lecture after lecture when I'm just trying to catch up on what everyone else is doing. No one ever needs to take a social justice-centered class in college, because everyone will be constantly lectured on Facebook.

Anyways, that's my rant about Facebook and social media today.

Last edited by letswastemoney; 04-14-2019 at 11:33 PM.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Almost everyone is too eager to lecture you on racism, sexism and politics in general.
I'm not sure this is actually new, but we've certainly not had a platform that allowed ANYONE to stand on a soapbox just with a little typing.

Good post, and accurate.

Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
thaskalos

I set up my facebook account 6-7 years ago and didn't think about it again for about a year. When I tried to log on again a year later, I discovered that I had forgotten my login information. I resisted the urge to retrieve my login information from facebook...and haven't visited that website since.

I admit to setting up an account with Quora some months ago, after reading Jordan Peterson's bestselling book. Soon thereafter I was asked by email to answer a Quora-member's question...which resulted in me getting bombarded by additional Quora email requests on an everyday basis. It's been about 6 months since I last visited that site...and I don't plan to visit them in the future.

I fear that I might not be an interesting-enough person for today's social media outlets.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I admit to setting up an account with Quora some months ago, after reading Jordan Peterson's bestselling book.
Thaskalos,

Off topic, but wasn't that a fantastic book?

(Now that I think of it, maybe it was you that recommended it.)

Just great reading.

Funny thing... I usually read a book of that length in a couple of hours, but it was so deep I spent 20 hours on it. No joke!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:37 AM   #5
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Thaskalos,

Off topic, but wasn't that a fantastic book?

(Now that I think of it, maybe it was you that recommended it.)

Just great reading.

Funny thing... I usually read a book of that length in a couple of hours, but it was so deep I spent 20 hours on it. No joke!
Yes...I was the one who first recommended that book. I also tried to get you interested in audiobooks...but you said that the audiobooks wouldn't work for you because you are such a rapid reader. I almost replied back to you on that...but I resisted the temptation because my reply sounded a tad pretentious. IMO...certain books are worth a "slower" reading...even if one is a speed-reader. Also...I have found that certain books deserve to get read repeatedly...and they continue having new things to offer after every repeated reading. Peterson's book certainly belongs on such a list...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 04-15-2019 at 01:38 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Keep Facebook exposure very limited. That’s the secret.

I have a few old school chums and then a few cousins and my brother. I have a half brother that I denied a friend request along with a full sister.

I have been surprised by a few high school friends, male and female that have been very nice to me via Facebook. But they are just a few of the chosen ones.

The secret is to live hundreds of miles away........
Old 04-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Facebook has basically caused my sister to unravel. She lost her husband who was a country club golf-pro in Philly about 7 years ago. She spends a ton of time on FB debating people on the evils of Trump. Needless to say, she is a typical Philadelphia liberal. She has sponsored multiple needy families in WV, Ky, and most recently Chester, Pa., so she does have a big heart. Unfortunately for her, a lot of our relatives are die-hard Trumpers and she thinks they're all out to get her, because they disagree with her politics. I had an account many years ago, and quickly shut it down.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Yes...I was the one who first recommended that book. I also tried to get you interested in audiobooks...but you said that the audiobooks wouldn't work for you because you are such a rapid reader. I almost replied back to you on that...but I resisted the temptation because my reply sounded a tad pretentious. IMO...certain books are worth a "slower" reading...even if one is a speed-reader. Also...I have found that certain books deserve to get read repeatedly...and they continue having new things to offer after every repeated reading. Peterson's book certainly belongs on such a list...IMO.
Audible would not have sped things up. It would simply have taken much longer. Probably at least 3x.

The book needed to be studied, often paragraph by paragraph.

Audible books just have zero value to me.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So what's the book?

I love audio stuff because I listen in my car.
Perfect multi-talking partners.

FB is not my favorite destination.
I never know where I am in it - my page, someone else's.....
I tried to send a message to several people I used to work with to let them know one our alumni had passed away,but I ended up getting them all myself!

Too much of a CF for my taste.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Keep Facebook exposure very limited. That’s the secret.

I have a few old school chums and then a few cousins and my brother. I have a half brother that I denied a friend request along with a full sister.

I have been surprised by a few high school friends, male and female that have been very nice to me via Facebook. But they are just a few of the chosen ones.

The secret is to live hundreds of miles away........
Same logic here. I have 17 friends most of whom I know pretty well. A few that I don't I've corresponded with for years. No photos of mine, I just look at others.
I spend very little time there, sometimes go days without looking.
Facebook has been a killer for many. Lots of fighting, badgering, bullying, just not anything I need at my age.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So what's the book?

I love audio stuff because I listen in my car.
Perfect multi-talking partners.

FB is not my favorite destination.
I never know where I am in it - my page, someone else's.....
I tried to send a message to several people I used to work with to let them know one our alumni had passed away,but I ended up getting them all myself!

Too much of a CF for my taste.
12 Rules for Life: An Antidote for Chaos
Old 04-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

People wanna lecture you on politics, religion etc etc....sounds a lot like PaceAdvantage
Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Now POT, you really should start a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

You know........
And another thing.........
And btw.......