Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #6376
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
There is nothing "objective" about religion. All things religious are SUBJECTIVE.
Who is talking about religion? I was alluding to objective hermeneutical principles of interpretation.

You better hit the sack masked up from head to toe, Gus. I don't think you're up to the task for another swing.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:24 AM   #6377
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
How God God be racist when scripture tell us:

Rev 5:9-10
9 And they sang a new song:

"You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased men for God

from every tribe and language and people and nation.
10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth."
?
NIV

Explain that to me, genius.
Simple. It's fiction.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:39 AM   #6378
hcap

Quote:
Who is talking about religion? I was alluding to objective hermeneutical principles of interpretation.

You better hit the sack masked up from head to toe, Gus. I don't think you're up to the task for another swing.
Objective truths? You mean like the earth is 6,000 years old. Noah built an a humongous ark with his relatives, and saved all species, shoving into it, all 1 trillion specie.

Or god installed Trump as president and, he has not lost the 2020 election?

Your 20 years here on what is "objective", ain't that good.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #6379
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Objective truths? You mean like the earth is 6,000 years old. Noah built an a humongous ark with his relatives, and saved all species, shoving into it, all 1 trillion specie.

Or god installed Trump as president and, he has not lost the 2020 election?

Your 20 years here on what is "objective", ain't that good.
Your homework tonight is that you are to write a treatise and post it to this forum listing the names of all 1 trillion "specie".

P.S. Don't forget to mask up while doing it 'cause this covid-19 thingy is armageddon.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #6380
boxcar

Another Favorite Pet Passage of Light's

Did Jesus Say We Are gods?

John Piper masterfully explodes Light's simple-minded interpretation -- simple-minded because Light avoids the contexts in which the phrase, "ye are gods" is used. And anything taken out of context is a mere pretext.

https://www.desiringgod.org/intervie...ource=hs_email
Old 12-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #6381
porchy44

Quote:
There is nothing "objective" about religion. All things religious are SUBJECTIVE.
That's a big modern misconception. it assumes the heresy of "fideism". Faith is not based on feelings. The act of believing in Jesus is no blind impulse of the mind.

On the contrary, the Christian position insists that subjectivism, sentiment or personal wishing is not the basis of religion.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #6382
hcap

Quote:
Your homework tonight is that you are to write a treatise and post it to this forum listing the names of all 1 trillion "specie".

P.S. Don't forget to mask up while doing it 'cause this covid-19 thingy is armageddon.
Ok,. let's call it 900,000. Insects alone. Did Noah create a separate compartment for each species of beatable, Each ant?

Have you ever built one damn box? Even one an hour(very fast without power tools), would be 900,000 hours. Gee how long to gather the raw materials? Make a 10,000 gallons of glue? The Flood would have arrived way before.

And that's only insects. The fact remains all your proclamations are non-objective and totally wrong, or has your pal Bishop Ussher been right all along?

Will Trump be sworn in 1/20/21?

Last edited by hcap; 12-05-2020 at 12:14 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #6383
boxcar

Quote:
Ok,. let's call it 900,000. Insects alone. Did Noah create a separate compartment for each species of beatable, Each ant?

Have you ever built one damn box? Even one an hour(very fast without power tools), would be 900,000 hours. Gee how long to gather the raw materials? Make a 10,000 gallons of glue? The Flood would have arrived way before.

And that's only insects. The fact remains all your proclamations are non-objective and totally wrong, or has your pal Bishop Ussher been right all along?

Will Trump be sworn in 1/20/21?
Your memory is totally shot, as we have discussed this insect issue several years ago. So...I'm not going to indulge your senility again, okay? The answer is actually in the Flood account in Genesis. You're such a great freakin' sleuth, I just know you'll find it in no time flat.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #6384
hcap

Quote:
Your memory is totally shot, as we have discussed this insect issue several years ago. So...I'm not going to indulge your senility again, okay? The answer is actually in the Flood account in Genesis. You're such a great freakin' sleuth, I just know you'll find it in no time flat.
In Genesis 6:19–20, God commanded Noah to take representatives “of every living thing of all flesh,” including those “of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind.”

Last I heard beetles cheeped

Did Noah cheat and throw all of those 900,000 in together. "Best bug wins"? Maybe he was running out of time cleaning up after all that dinosaur and elephant poop?
Old 12-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #6385
boxcar

Quote:
In Genesis 6:19–20, God commanded Noah to take representatives “of every living thing of all flesh,” including those “of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind.”

Last I heard beetles cheeped

Did Noah cheat and throw all of those 900,000 in together. "Best bug wins"? Maybe he was running out of time cleaning up after all that dinosaur and elephant poop?
Maybe you suck at sleuthing. Keep digging.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #6386
hcap

Quote:
Maybe you suck at sleuthing. Keep digging.
Everything you claim is nonsense. No need to sleuth.

Remember you will no longer be here shortly. You are rapidly running out of time for new "proclamations from on high"

Maybe, try again to explain how come your "god installed Trump as prez", seems to have had a severe case of buyers remorse, and has un-installed him 4 years later.

Last edited by hcap; 12-05-2020 at 01:19 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #6387
porchy44

Why be a Catholic.

Quote:
Oh...Jesus was "hyperbolizing"? Then...how do we know that he wasn't exaggerating about his "second coming"?
It’s perfectly legitimate question to ask, why something was meant as hyperbole while something else was meant to be taken literally.

This is exactly why we need the Church. She alone can resolve such questions because she, alone, was given the authority to do so.

Jesus did say that Peter was the rock on which he would build his Church.

"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

When I discovered that Peter was the rock, I was thus forced to conclude that he was the earthly leader of the Church in Jesus’ absence, and I realized that this is a pretty basic definition of the office of the pope.

This is nothing new either. 1100 years before Protestanism. There was a council where Pope Leo said "Peter speaks through Leo".

Non-Catholics often confuse the pope’s gift of ‘infallibility’ with ‘impeccability’. They think the Catholic Church is claiming her Popes are sinless or that the Pope is claiming inspiration from God for every pronouncement he makes.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #6388
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Do you BELIEVE your "best friend" or not? On judgment day, is the King of kings and Lord or lords going to slay his enemies
No.

Quote:
And can't you reconcile the Luke 14 passage above with the 5th commandment in the Law of Moses?
No.

Quote:
P.S. Do you know what hyperbole is? And why it is used in speech?
Yes.

Since you obviously cannot answer my question without making excuses, I'll give you the answer to this riddle that Jesus said:

Luke 14:26: “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.”

What Jesus is saying here is that if you want to follow him and reach the "Kingdom of God/Heaven" (which btw is within), you must give him your "undivided attention". You must be devoted to God,first. Elsewhere Jesus confirms this with "No one can serve two masters. " or " If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? ".

Jesus is saying the same for an individual. If his Earthly relationships have an equal or greater footing as one's relationship to God, you will not stand or reach your goal. If you have been on this journey in life (as I have), you will know that, because:

A) God gave you these relationships in the first place that you cherish and he can and will take them away eventually. So he is the source of all internal and external love in your life in the first place.

B) All Earthly relationships, no matter how happy they are, come with suffering and pain included. It's not an option. Therefore if you are truly looking for happiness (Heaven),humans cannot cut it by their own nature. They will let you down at some point because of their frailties and cannot always be there for you.

C) But God ALWAYS lifts you up and ALWAYS gives you what you need far more than any human can,via his divine love. This is where your priority needs to be over all your other relationships and as Jesus affirms with "seek ye the Kingdom of Heaven and all things shall be added unto you." In other words put your trust in God,not man.

So the word "hate" in Luke 14:26 here is a very poor translation. In effect it is closer to the word "rejection" for any of these Earthly relationships having any priority over one's relationship with God.

But if you are a very shallow Christian,like you are Boxcar, you cannot see the deeper meanings in what Jesus says. Instead you take the word hate "literally" and follow the opposite path of what Jesus intended. A comedy of errors.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #6389
boxcar

Quote:
Everything you claim is nonsense. No need to sleuth.

Remember you will no longer be here shortly. You are rapidly running out of time for new "proclamations from on high"

Maybe, try again to explain how come your "god installed Trump as prez", seems to have had a severe case of buyers remorse, and has un-installed him 4 years later.
Nah...you just don't know how to read. (You suck at that, too). It is THERE in the text of the Flood account. You're just too dull to find it.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #6390
porchy44

Quote:
Maybe he was running out of time cleaning up after all that dinosaur and elephant poop?
There are a good number of Christians who are anti-intellectual or anti-scientific. But that is not the classic Christian position.I understand why you take that point of view because you heard that. It's not what Catholics actually believe. It's not actually the classic tradition.

You guys are smart. Why don't you do your homework a little better. If your really interested in this debate, why don't you find out what we actually believe. Instead of setting up these strawmen and taking potshots at fundamentalists. thats real easy to do.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: