Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #526
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
For what purpose? If horses aren't racing why test them?
Basically every drug testing regime that anyone considers serious in sports tests athletes out of competition. Not all performance enhancers are given day of the race (e.g., the steroids that Big Brown was on), and out of competition testing also diminishes the effect of masking agents (including Lasix, of course), which are intended to flush any drugs out of the system before a post-competition test.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #527
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Sure, but tracks don't want that as fields are short enough as it is. They turn a blind eye to all but the most obvious cases.

Claiming races need to go. You want to sell your horse, do it privately. If we really care about the horses, playing games with the claiming system is never going to be a good look.
Your comment implies that the problem is mostly with the claimers or low level horses. Is it true that claimers breakdown more than other types?
Old 11-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #528
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Your comment implies that the problem is mostly with the claimers or low level horses. Is it true that claimers breakdown more than other types?
I don't have the data to know, but my experience would lead me to believe that is true. I wouldn't be shocked if that data proved me wrong, but I'd be surprised.

So do you think the claiming game is good for horse safety overall?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #529
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
For what purpose? If horses aren't racing why test them?
This should help you understand.

http://tharacing.com/medication/out-...ition-testing/
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #530
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I don't have the data to know, but my experience would lead me to believe that is true. I wouldn't be shocked if that data proved me wrong, but I'd be surprised.

So do you think the claiming game is good for horse safety overall?
I don't know but I did read where Indiana Grand had one of the lowest fatality rates of any track. Are they running claimers there? I also believe that most of the fatalities at Santa Anita were not claiming horses. I would certainly be swayed by stats showing a strong correlation between race level and fatalities.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #531
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Thanks for posting the link.

My comments were made from a viewpoint of whether or not a horse is physically sound enough to withstand the rigors of racing on raceday. While out-of-competition testing might be a good (albeit expensive) step for racing to take it still doesn't answer the question of whether a horse is physically sound enough to race.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #532
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link.

My comments were made from a viewpoint of whether or not a horse is physically sound enough to withstand the rigors of racing on raceday. While out-of-competition testing might be a good (albeit expensive) step for racing to take it still doesn't answer the question of whether a horse is physically sound enough to race.
This should help for that

Official veterinarians, employed by the racetrack or the state racing commission, determine much of a horse’s race-day routine. These veterinarians are in charge of confirming that all horses are sound to race, and to do that they examine horses several times on race day.

https://thehorse.com/171178/the-race-day-routine/
Old 11-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #533
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Would it be to much trouble to implement out of competition testing at major tracks in 2020.?
Already happening in Pa
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #534
AskinHaskin

Quote:
I also believe that most of the fatalities at Santa Anita were not claiming horses.

16 of the first 30 were claimers.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #535
AndyC

Quote:
This should help for that

Official veterinarians, employed by the racetrack or the state racing commission, determine much of a horse’s race-day routine. These veterinarians are in charge of confirming that all horses are sound to race, and to do that they examine horses several times on race day.

https://thehorse.com/171178/the-race-day-routine/
Thanks again. It makes one wonder how a hurt horse could ever make it to the starting gate.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #536
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
16 of the first 30 were claimers.
Thanks. The second half of the equation would be the number of starters that were claimers and non-claimers.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #537
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Thanks again. It makes one wonder how a hurt horse could ever make it to the starting gate.
Uncontrolled drug use goes long way.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:41 PM   #538
AskinHaskin

Of the post-Mongolian Groom list of 37

now 20 were claiming horses. Not necessarily entered in a claiming race on the fateful day.

And wild speculation would suggest that considerably more than 54% of all starters at SA during the same time period would qualify under this broad umbrella of claiming horses.

(the only way to qualify for some starter allowance races is to have at some point been a claiming horse, etc.)

Just 12 of the 37 last raced on a SA main track labeled "fast"

(Same was true of just two of the initial 17 to die at SA from Dec. 26 through the end of March)

Last edited by AskinHaskin; 11-19-2019 at 10:48 PM.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #539
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Basically every drug testing regime that anyone considers serious in sports tests athletes out of competition. Not all performance enhancers are given day of the race (e.g., the steroids that Big Brown was on), and out of competition testing also diminishes the effect of masking agents (including Lasix, of course), which are intended to flush any drugs out of the system before a post-competition test.
First, steroids were legal then, and second, Lasix doesn’t mask. Please go read up on it instead of continuing to put out this misinformed opinion.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #540
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
First, steroids were legal then, and second, Lasix doesn’t mask. Please go read up on it instead of continuing to put out this misinformed opinion.
Fager, THE WORLD ANTI-DOPING AGENCY SAYS LASIX MASKS. They have credibility. You are some anonymous person on the Internet. So I am going to repeat the TRUTH as long as there are deniers like you out there.

As for steroids, they are illegal now, and it's perfectly obvious that you would need out of competition testing to enforce the ban. Which was my point.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply