Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-21-2024, 12:53 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Well now, this is quite the story - Shohei Ohtani

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-ohta...014454049.html

Hearing they have wire transfers of $500,000 with Ohtani's name on it...kind of hard to pull that off...twice...without being the actual owner of the account?

Imagine if they ban one of the most famous players since Babe Ruth, for betting on baseball?
Old 03-21-2024, 01:24 AM   #2
thaskalos

If Ohtani doesn't receive a lifetime ban, then this shows what hypocritical bastards the MLB officials are. If Ohtani just wanted to help his interpreter friend, then he would have just given him the money so he could pay the illegal gambling debts in his own name. The excuse that Ohtani "didn't trust" the interpreter with the money is lame, IMO. If the interpreter was a close enough friend to deserve the $4.5 million "loan"...then Ohtani should have taken the trouble to make sure that his "good friend" really paid his debt off, instead of just 'gambling the money away'.

I mean, come on. First the Ohtani camp claims that Ohtani was just helping out a friend in trouble...and then they change their mind and claim that the interpreter just stole the money without Ohtani knowing anything about it? What kind of bullshit is this? To me, it looks like the gambling debt was Ohtani's all along.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:39 AM   #3
lamboguy

this story has a very strong comparison to the Tommy Gioiosa Pete Rose deal.

i used to watch Tommy fire with both hands at the dog track, and when he was in the majors he was never anything more than a utility ball player.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2024, 08:00 AM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If Ohtani doesn't receive a lifetime ban, then this shows what hypocritical bastards the MLB officials are.
Must agree with this.

However, doubt it will happen.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2024, 01:27 PM   #5
horsefan2019

Quote:
If Ohtani doesn't receive a lifetime ban, then this shows what hypocritical bastards the MLB officials are. If Ohtani just wanted to help his interpreter friend, then he would have just given him the money so he could pay the illegal gambling debts in his own name. The excuse that Ohtani "didn't trust" the interpreter with the money is lame, IMO. If the interpreter was a close enough friend to deserve the $4.5 million "loan"...then Ohtani should have taken the trouble to make sure that his "good friend" really paid his debt off, instead of just 'gambling the money away'.

I mean, come on. First the Ohtani camp claims that Ohtani was just helping out a friend in trouble...and then they change their mind and claim that the interpreter just stole the money without Ohtani knowing anything about it? What kind of bullshit is this? To me, it looks like the gambling debt was Ohtani's all along.

Nothing will happen because now the MLB has their hand in the gambling cookie jar. The MLB who was lecturing players about the dangers of gambling is now an investor in gambling companies. Also they are possibly going to put an MLB team in Las Vegas.

Also Pete Rose was managing the Reds at the time which meant he was directly involved in the outcomes of games.
On a final note, Pete Rose should absolutely be in the Hall of Fame. He isn't because he had enemies because of his personality.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 03-21-2024 at 01:29 PM.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2024, 01:43 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Nothing will happen because now the MLB has their hand in the gambling cookie jar. The MLB who was lecturing players about the dangers of gambling is now an investor in gambling companies. Also they are possibly going to put an MLB team in Las Vegas.

Also Pete Rose was managing the Reds at the time which meant he was directly involved in the outcomes of games.
On a final note, Pete Rose should absolutely be in the Hall of Fame. He isn't because he had enemies because of his personality.
BART Giamati did not like Rose at all. That was well known.

His kid turned out to be a hell of a good actor though…….
Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 PM   #7
ElKabong

Quote:

Right on
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2024, 08:35 PM   #8
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
BART Giamati did not like Rose at all. That was well known.

His kid turned out to be a hell of a good actor though…….
Bart was a pretty good actor himself.
Played the part well enough to keep Pete Rose out of HOF

The all-time hits leader in MLB who never bet against his team.
Anyone who disputes that should show proof, or STFU.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 12:50 AM   #9
proximity

as long as he is reinstated for sisters of pride night at chavez ravine...
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2024, 10:28 AM   #10
Cutter14

Pete Rose

one of the best- how many are in the Hof and did worse than him=not condoning what he did-but to be kept out (also because of his personality) is a joke--just my opinion--i would be willing to bet that this current Ohanti incident gets swept under the rug---hope I'm wrong
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2024, 04:52 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Hmmmm………

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7886.jpg (99.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-24-2024, 06:49 PM   #12
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter14 View Post
one of the best- how many are in the Hof and did worse than him=not condoning what he did-but to be kept out (also because of his personality) is a joke--just my opinion--i would be willing to bet that this current Ohanti incident gets swept under the rug---hope I'm wrong
Pete Rose will have something to say....

I'm sure him mouth is watering .....

Last edited by Saratoga; 03-24-2024 at 07:03 PM.
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2024, 07:30 PM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter14 View Post
Barry Bonds comes to mind.

Didn't gamble, but (probably) did "cheat"
Old 03-24-2024, 09:45 PM   #14
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Barry Bonds comes to mind.

Didn't gamble, but (probably) did "cheat"
Barry Bonds wasn't the only one.....that gave baseball back its light

But hes the only one singled out all the time...as a cheater???
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2024, 11:38 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
Barry Bonds wasn't the only one.....that gave baseball back its light

But hes the only one singled out all the time...as a cheater???
Not singled out because there are others.

McGwire for one.

[edit]
Sosa as well.
Are there others?