Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-03-2024, 04:35 AM   #1
georgetkingiv

Post NFL prospect runs 40-yard dash quicker than Usain Bolt to set incredible record

Old 03-03-2024, 04:36 AM   #2
georgetkingiv

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other...-dash-32260093
Old 03-03-2024, 07:19 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Is this the kid that tore his hamstring?
Old 03-03-2024, 07:30 AM   #4
PalaceOfFortLarned

Xavier Worthy WR out of Texas.

4.21 40 yard dash. New NFL combine record.

I knew he was fast, but that is obviously crazy fast.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/xavier...a-5c4709faa05b
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2024, 12:07 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

I don't think there is anything in the combine done more useless than running a 40 yard dash in track clothes on artificial turf. I won't even peek, but I venture a guess the top 50 all time 40 yard time list is littered with guys you never heard of. You won't see Jerry Rice, or probably any of the top all time receivers on that list. With out digging it up I think Jerry ran a 4.6, how many times was he caught from behind with a clear field in front of him? I am sure it was rare if it ever happened. Linebackers that had faster 40's than him were a dime a dozen. Some guys slow down considerably when you put football gear on them and put them on a grass field. I don't think that slowed Jerry down one bit and I think he had another gear for when people were chasing him.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2024, 12:17 PM   #6
Stevecsd2

Yes, there is more to being a wide receiver than speed. I think of AJ Brown formerly of the Titans, now at Philadelphia. He could run through linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks. There were times when it took 3 defensive players to take him down. There is also how well you run your routes and can you fake out the defensive back. We'll see how good he when he gets in a real game.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2024, 12:59 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
Yes, there is more to being a wide receiver than speed. I think of AJ Brown formerly of the Titans, now at Philadelphia. He could run through linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks. There were times when it took 3 defensive players to take him down. There is also how well you run your routes and can you fake out the defensive back. We'll see how good he when he gets in a real game.

I think the biggest high speed flop was Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah.
He should have been nicknamed "stone hands" or "butter fingers", the guy could not catch a cold running around naked in a blizzard. For people who are not track fans he was once the world record holder in the 50 and 100 meter
hurdles. He was pre combine, played for the 49ers in the early 80's. He would drop screen passes, he wasn't much of a route runner and could not start and stop very well either. He averaged about 250 yards a year receiving and
when the 49ers drafted Jerry Rice, Skeets was cut and went back to running track. If they kept the dropped pass statistic, Skeets would be the all time leader in highest dropped percentage.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:13 AM   #8
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Is this the kid that tore his hamstring?
Pulled a hammy vs tech and injured his foot the week before. Played thru pain

He doesn't block well. Not an exceptional punt returner , k Robinson was much more effective.

Adonai Mitchell (teammate) is the hotter prospect, but I'd take another WR teammate over worthy. Jordan Whittington. Big TEAM guy who blocks his ass off and is 100% selfless. Probably will be 1rst week cut because he's not enough of a threat. Pity. The guy is a winner
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 12:41 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

I just looked up the top 11 all time combine 40's. The current kid is not on so I have no idea the age of it. 5 you would call busts, a 6th who had pretty much no NFL career was drafted in the 7th. There was a pair of what you would call WR 3 or 4's one played a full career the other 5 years. Then we had a couple nickle and dime package DBs who played 8-10 years.

The only top level player was Chris Johnson RB 9,651 career rushing yards 4.5 avg.

Bo Jackson was pre combine and oddly Deon was not on the list and he ran a 4.27 faster than the 11th place 4.28. It did not say the years it covered. I doubt it was the whole combine era that almost goes back 40 years.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:52 AM   #10
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I don't think there is anything in the combine done more useless than running a 40 yard dash in track clothes on artificial turf. I won't even peek, but I venture a guess the top 50 all time 40 yard time list is littered with guys you never heard of. You won't see Jerry Rice, or probably any of the top all time receivers on that list. With out digging it up I think Jerry ran a 4.6, how many times was he caught from behind with a clear field in front of him? I am sure it was rare if it ever happened. Linebackers that had faster 40's than him were a dime a dozen. Some guys slow down considerably when you put football gear on them and put them on a grass field. I don't think that slowed Jerry down one bit and I think he had another gear for when people were chasing him.

Doesn't look like he slows down with pads on to me.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQcls_dCm8

He is running slower if you step it through and watch the clock, also I said on grass. Obviously only a rough estimate, he does seem to not start slowing down much till 5 yards deep in the end zone. I tried stepping the video through multiple times till it gave me a headache. I average him running 75 yards in 8 seconds, that would round down to 4.26 per 40 yards, close to his 4.21 but he I did not start counting the yardage till he was about full speed.
I am sure the start costs everyone a different amount of time. If my memory serves me correctly and I had to take guys word for it as guys that ran 4.4-4.5 in tennis shoes on a hard artificial track path claimed to run 9.6-9.8 100's on a natural track with track shoes. So that means at a running start those guys would cover 40 yards from 3.84-3.92. To me that shoes even with a margin of error the guy is slowing down. I timed a lot of 40's playing college football working with guys including me trying to get faster. I had this one brother watch me run for the first time and said I looked like a man drowning in a pool that did not know how to swim. Since he medaled at state level in HS in Florida I took his word for it. Adding some leg work and learning a more fluid running style he got me down .25 in about a years time.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:21 PM   #12
proximity

renaldo nehemiah first ballot i-dirt hof!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I think the biggest high speed flop was Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah.
He should have been nicknamed "stone hands" or "butter fingers", the guy could not catch a cold running around naked in a blizzard. For people who are not track fans he was once the world record holder in the 50 and 100 meter
hurdles. He was pre combine, played for the 49ers in the early 80's. He would drop screen passes, he wasn't much of a route runner and could not start and stop very well either. He averaged about 250 yards a year receiving and
when the 49ers drafted Jerry Rice, Skeets was cut and went back to running track. If they kept the dropped pass statistic, Skeets would be the all time leader in highest dropped percentage.

uhh? maybe nehemiah was a little better than you think?

action picks up around the 51 minute mark!

proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2024, 10:33 PM   #13
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQcls_dCm8

Two things about that clip. #1 it brings back horrible memories of how Sarkisian can blow huge leads. #2, how much better ou is at tackling since grinch left for usc with Linc Riley.

The play in the clip is probably the highlight of worthy's career. Very good impact player in the big 12 but not a first round guy, imo
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2024, 03:38 AM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
uhh? maybe nehemiah was a little better than you think?

action picks up around the 51 minute mark!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNkj5j0s_8k

Did you pull that from memory? I have no recall of Skeets making an exercise video, let alone with Jayne Kennedy. The funny thing when I saw the title I thought it was a video of his 4 TD catches or however many he had.