Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 08-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Flysofree
Veteran

Good Handicapping Software needs...

to show an odds line that is acceptable for placing a win bet... That's the key to winning in my opinion. It also needs to have a scratch section which would or could change the odds lines.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
to show an odds line that is acceptable for placing a win bet... That's the key to winning in my opinion. It also needs to have a scratch section which would or could change the odds lines.
Flysofree

CompuTrak calculates its own odds line which, of course, can be used to place a win bet.

It also has a scratch section, which both removes the scratched horses and recalculates its odds line based on the scratches.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughbred
Flysofree

CompuTrak calculates its own odds line which, of course, can be used to place a win bet.

It also has a scratch section, which both removes the scratched horses and recalculates its odds line based on the scratches.
Yes indeed...Your software works crisply and neatly.. It does exactly as you say. However, I personally have not had success with it in picking winners.... Possibly it is the learning curve that I can't seem to conquer. I've used it for quite awhile.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
banacek

An odds line is easy...a reasonably accurate one is the goal - very hard to accomplish.
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
thoroughbred

computrak

Quote:
Yes indeed...Your software works crisply and neatly.. It does exactly as you say. However, I personally have not had success with it in picking winners.... Possibly it is the learning curve that I can't seem to conquer. I've used it for quite awhile.
Just the other day you challenged me to pick a winner for you, on another Forum, and using CompuTrak I provided one, and it paid a nice price. We are always available to help in any learning.
We have had good response to our free version at www.revelationprofits.com

Thanks for your noting that the program operates well. Appreciated.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
JJMartin

Quote:
Just the other day you challenged me to pick a winner for you, on another Forum, and using CompuTrak I provided one, and it paid a nice price. We are always available to help in any learning.

Excellent, then you should take part in the BB contest being suggested in another thread. Sounds like your program would be a good fit.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:

Just one example that puzzles me is: "Surface Restriction" The default setting is to use this..(keep a check in the box). When, if ever, do you suggest NOT to use the Surface Restriction?
Old 08-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
thoroughbred

Quote:
Just one example that puzzles me is: "Surface Restriction" The default setting is to use this..(keep a check in the box). When, if ever, do you suggest NOT to use the Surface Restriction?
Testing showed, not surprisingly, that the best results are obtained when pacelines are considered that more closely resemble "todays" race, e.g., the same surface. When the surface restriction is on, the Oddsline report is based on such.

This feature is similar to the other option that allows you to choose to only include pacelines that are within a specified distance, that you can choose, of todays race.

There are times when a handicapper would like to see data where the examined pacelines include races with the other surface than todays. The Oddsline report, when the surface restriction is removed, will include such pacelines, and in the columns showing the paceline race distances, A "T" or a "D", (Turf or Dirt), will appear to alert you that the paceline surface is other than that of todays race.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Testing showed, not surprisingly, that the best results are obtained when pacelines are considered that more closely resemble "todays" race, e.g., the same surface. When the surface restriction is on, the Oddsline report is based on such.

This feature is similar to the other option that allows you to choose to only include pacelines that are within a specified distance, that you can choose, of todays race.

There are times when a handicapper would like to see data where the examined pacelines include races with the other surface than todays. The Oddsline report, when the surface restriction is removed, will include such pacelines, and in the columns showing the paceline race distances, A "T" or a "D", (Turf or Dirt), will appear to alert you that the paceline surface is other than that of todays race.
And did that testing also show that the last race distance should be within 1 furlong of today's distance? I'd like to know the % figures of 2or 3or more furlongs difference as the program offers up to 18 furlongs difference.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
This one is easy.

Estimating what the FINAL odds will be: that is a bit more difficult.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
thoroughbred

Good Handicapping Needs----

Quote:
And did that testing also show that the last race distance should be within 1 furlong of today's distance? I'd like to know the % figures of 2or 3or more furlongs difference as the program offers up to 18 furlongs difference.
Think of it this way:
1.- Use the default values for your handicapping.
2.- Use the choices away from the defaults when you are seeking "outlier" types of info, or when most of the horses pacelines are a bit more different from 1 furlong from todays race. An "outlier" example would be something like this: Todays race is a short sprint, and a few of the horses only ran long routes. Not a great race to handicap, of course, but you still might want to see the info for the pacelines of the long route races. The 18 furlong distance was chosen just to include the possible rarer distance differences, not the usual.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: